Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

my beginner routine, look...

tsarleon

hello all, I am just starting out lifting and eating a crapload. Here is the split I am looking at.

I am thinking 2 on 1 off,
Or training every other day, any advice?

DAY 1 CHEST + BIS
Flat Barbell Bench
Incline Dumbbell Press
Pushups/ Pec Dec
Standing Barbell
Incline Bench Curls w/dumbbells
Reverse cable curls???

DAY 2 LEGS
Squats
Walkling Lunges
Leg Extensions
Climb stairs with dumbbells

DAY 3 SHOULDERS + TRIS
Standing Military Press
Side Lateral Raises
Upright Rows
Close grip bench
Dips
Cable extensions

DAY 4 BACK+ CALVES
Deadlift
Bentover Rows
Pullups
Standing calve Raises

Supplemental excercises
-wrist curls
- rotator cuff excercises
-neck excercises
- good mornings

I tried to compile a lot of information from a lot of you guys and try to fit it to what I have access to at this time. Goals, gain weight/mass while increasing strength (no shit?). Stats, 6'1" 170, enough said. I need opinions on this workout, what to add, what to take out, if this is too much, etc. Is the split and combination of excercises good, or need work? Shooting for 4 days a wk, either working otu everyother day... or MT on W off THFRI on SAT SUN off. Look it over give me your thoughts.
Thanks
Leon

looks like alot of stuff.. If you want to gain mass and increase strength then focus on simple compound movements only (Bench, Squats, Deadlift, Shoulder Press).

Check out Cornholio's old school 3 day a week program and follow that..

Remember you grow when you REST not when you workout don't over do it!

well in and of itself, it looks good. but i'll give you some advice you probably don't want to hear. in my opinion, if you're new to lifting i'd build a solid 'base' by doing bodyweight exercises for a while, like pushups, dips, chins, situps, etcetera, if i were you. that really worked for me (but i have to add; i was quite young when i started lifting so maybe that made a difference, i don't know). also, as an alternative, it might be a good idea to do a fullbody routine in the beginning instead of training splits. (i'm just stating what worked for me in the beginning). well anyway, good luck

Crimson: sometimes i forget about growth comes from rest, but it is also triggered by working out yes?, I took a look at corns old school 3-day, I got the impression it was for those who seem to be in a slump with growth and weight increase, and it was used as a catalyst to jump start the body, to change it up. Whats do you think

Louden: Sounds good. Does it take more excercises to stimulate growth in smaller body areas, example bis instead of back? Or are the cable curls and extensions just not necessary for a bulk/mass routine?

Sagat: I am 21. Not sure how much age has to do with it right now. In fact I will be hopefully going through the police academy when I am 24 or so. I have the pullups and pushups and dips in the routine up above already, I can toss in some ab work like twice a week or so??? Do you think incorporating some pushups,dips,pullups,situps will hinder "bulking up". I would like to be about 200lbs, still be able to crank out the pullups, pushups etc. What do you think?

were those exercises i mentioned already in your routine? sorry, didn't see that. but i see no reason why they would hinder bulking up, if they become too easy you can always do them weighted. also, about the abs: you should try different things to see what works for you, in all honesty i don't really train abs as intensely or as often as i should (due to a serious back problem) but.....when i used to do them intensely and regularly, i did them every other day (which worked quite well). nowadays, i just do forearms and abs whenever i feel the need to, after my workouts. (for me, this comes down to about 2-3 times a week).
also, i have to say i am by no means an expert on lifting, i've been lifting for 6 years now and have learned a thing or two, but there are a lot more dudes here that really know their shit and i hope they'll give you some more advice. not saying my advice sucks or anything, but let's just say i don't know EVERYTHING. by that i mean; research, research, research, see what works for you, monitor your results, research again, etc etc etc. good luck!

tsarleon said:

Louden: Sounds good. Does it take more excercises to stimulate growth in smaller body areas, example bis instead of back? Or are the cable curls and extensions just not necessary for a bulk/mass routine?

Actually, the arms are very small muscles and only require low sets to stimulate growth. If you include to many sets, you can easily overtrain the arms. Your routine already contains some good strength and mass builders for the arms, so I would capitalize on those movements.

For a good mass building program, I recommend

no more than 9 sets for large upperbody muscles (back, chest, and delts).

no more than 12 sets for the upper legs (quads & hams included)

no more than 6 sets for the smaller upperbody muscles (biceps and tricep)

Once you work with this routine for a while, you can switch it up in a few weeks and include some other exercises such as:

BICEPS

Barbell Preacher Curls - 3 sets
Hammer Curls - 3 sets

TRICEPS

Lying Tricep Extensions (skull crushers) - 3 sets
Cable Press-Downs - 3 sets

Good luck!!

tsarleon said:
thanks louden. What about the split, everyother day sound good???

Yes, this will ensure that your muscles will receive enough time to recuperate. The only thing you have to do is train hard, eat big, and get plenty of sleep and I promise you that you will grow. Good luck on your program!

Top Bottom