Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

aching and "shock" contractions in forearm connection to elbow and biceps connection and bracialus- raise?

splizzit

I train muay thai (not as a fighter) 3+ days a week and a full body 4-5 ex only strength (4-6 weeks rep 6-10, 2 week 3-5) weights 2x per week. but really, whatever program I do, this always plagues me. I'm guessing it's repetitive stress injury from both striking the punching bag and this being a weakest link in lifting heavy weights. I do use hooks to try give my grip a break and compression helps.
any suggestions on what I can do to mitigate this more; other than a break (it will just come back whenever I resume). it's really tough doing pull-ups or pull-downs as its my biceps that gives out. yes. I try to use neutral grip when possible.

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you describe what happens better? It sounds like something I might be able to help you with.

ache and pain while lifting around where the muscles attach to the connective tissue leading to the elbow. seems like it is in the connective tissues as well but no real elbow problem or pain in joint. attachment of bicept, especially where that small Bracialus (is it?) muscle runs up the side of the arm, and where the top forearm (the one used in hammer curls -they kill me so I don't do anymore. in fact I do nothing for bis or tris when strength conditioning ; only through pull-ups, dumbell rows, dumbbell press, shoulder press, etc. its enough to kill my bis especially ). then after training I roll out the length of the side of my arm with pain in those areas. then all night while just sitting around, all the sudden an electric shock feeling goes through the same areas and a quick contraction. the feeling is... deep in the arm for lack of a better description. random. I've learned to use almost no straight barbells, neutral grip on everything I can. hooks on many lifts to limit my grip days; arm compression sleeves help alot but especially wearing all night after weight training. they stop the electric shock thing. I've been advised it's an rsi (repetitive stress injury). but I have no idea how to lift, punch, and not stress the muscles controlling elbow motion and grip. I have taken off many weeks before with some success, but it always comes back when I resume lifting. I try to cruise a week every 6 weeks also. I'm not sure if I could describe any of the problem as a "pump". sometimes it aches like a pump, but mostly just feels more like tendinitis. I mean, the belly of the bi is fine and not pumped.

sorry for so much to read. I really appreciate any feedback as this does cause problems with my punch power and accuracy. the lifts I can push through any pain. it's not unbearable or anything. it may cause me to skip a failure rep sometimes.

thanks again

this type of issue is very common

you are using poor form or overtraining the arms

you also have very poor blood flow and flexbility in the forearms. are you using gloves, straps or wraps? if so STOP using them. weak wrists will trickle down to weak forearms, and trick to elbow problems

also learn forearms stretching. youtube videos on it. take a break from the area for a while to let things relax

this type of issue is very common

you are using poor form or overtraining the arms

you also have very poor blood flow and flexbility in the forearms. are you using gloves, straps or wraps? if so STOP using them. weak wrists will trickle down to weak forearms, and trick to elbow problems

also learn forearms stretching. youtube videos on it. take a break from the area for a while to let things relax

my form is excellent. a lot of strain has been alleviated since I went to neutral grip.kn all. overtraining the arms is a definite; but, realistically, how does one not use the arms when lifting. I do not directly do any arm exercises anymore.
blood flow is a definite issue, flexibility is a problem; I use a roller aggressively and stretch them pre, post, and all other times.

I NOW use gloves which has reduced palm pain, and lifting hooks. ok, takes off strain from wrists, but if overtraining is the problem, that certainly helps since I work out my grip on other times and often don't use hooks (I cycle it).

so taking a break from the area would mean for me. no lifting involving my arms. is is possible to workout the upper body without using the arms? like pec machine on arms instead of hands I guess. uhhh.... ???can't think anymore ha.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Splizzit, that was perfect. I had the same problem when I used to do what we call bending events in grip competitions. What caused that pain was the blood not being able to leave the muscle as my arms were bent at 90-degrees while I was bending steel bars. I contacted a buddy of mine, Jedd Johnson and he suggested I wrap the arm in an ice cold towel.

So I'm in Sweden competing in a European Grip Championships a few years back and I took a towel with me. I soaked it in water, wrung it out and then stuck it in a bag and put it all in a freezer. Then the event comes and I got the 2nd place silver medal by bending a 267-kilo rated bar (I'd have won the whole damn thing if I'd have bent a 280kg bar) and there's pain - like a mofo bitch. I applied the cold towel and... ahhhh relax.

Try it

Try supplementing with fish oil and krill oil.

Fish oil - 6g/day
Krill oil - 2g/day

Both of those are very strong natural anti-inflammatories that will also help lubricate the area.

The fish oil you can pick up for cheap at costco. I get my krill oil from the board sponsor n2bm.com

Try supplementing with fish oil and krill oil.

Fish oil - 6g/day
Krill oil - 2g/day

Both of those are very strong natural anti-inflammatories that will also help lubricate the area.

The fish oil you can pick up for cheap at costco. I get my krill oil from the board sponsor n2bm.com

I take pharmaceutical grade fish oil. but only 4g/day. I will increase the dose. thanks

my form is excellent. a lot of strain has been alleviated since I went to neutral grip.kn all. overtraining the arms is a definite; but, realistically, how does one not use the arms when lifting. I do not directly do any arm exercises anymore.
blood flow is a definite issue, flexibility is a problem; I use a roller aggressively and stretch them pre, post, and all other times.

I NOW use gloves which has reduced palm pain, and lifting hooks. ok, takes off strain from wrists, but if overtraining is the problem, that certainly helps since I work out my grip on other times and often don't use hooks (I cycle it).

so taking a break from the area would mean for me. no lifting involving my arms. is is possible to workout the upper body without using the arms? like pec machine on arms instead of hands I guess. uhhh.... ???can't think anymore ha.

Thanks for the advice.

stop using gloves!! you are only weakening your wrists, hands and forearms

also do it like this when it comes to exercises.. if it hurts then don't do it! avoid those exercises, i don't care if it takes 6 months. AVOID THEM. stop being stubborn man, these types of injuries just keep getting worse and worse.. the body is trying to heal itself and you aren't letting it so what do you think is going to happen next? it will become CHRONIC

stop using gloves!! you are only weakening your wrists, hands and forearms

also do it like this when it comes to exercises.. if it hurts then don't do it! avoid those exercises, i don't care if it takes 6 months. AVOID THEM. stop being stubborn man, these types of injuries just keep getting worse and worse.. the body is trying to heal itself and you aren't letting it so what do you think is going to happen next? it will become CHRONIC

I only use gloves for bench for the palm pads, not on exercises involving direct grip.

All exercises involving pulling or grip cause at least some discomfort, even if just after the actual lift or recovery. I have tried taking off months. it just comes back eventually. I have eliminated all exercises that cause real pain during the lift. no straight bars, no hammer or pinwheel curls, neutral grip pull-ups, etc.
I appreciate the advice and I will look for more ways to mitigate; but, honestly, if I try to eliminate all pain at my age I can't train at all ha. definitely would have to give up muay Thai as it ALL hurts. haha. any advise on any exercises or techniques that can workout back without using grip or bis? I don't directly work the arms or forearms anymore; but I can't very well just do push lifts. I'll get unbalanced.

thanks again.

Top Bottom