Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Trouble with Traps

tonystrong

My traps are growing upward, but they are not getting very thick. I usually do behind the back or dumbell shrugs, upwright rows, and some bent over rows. What should I do? I go heavy on the shrugs to the point where i can do no more than 8-10 reps.

solution for traps

one word......deadlift
when in doubt....hit front calf.

Yeah, shrugs are a bit overrated.. exodus is rite w/ the deadlifts, but throw in the HEAVY shrugs every couple weeks.

Shrugs are not overrated. They are the only way some people can get their upper traps to grow...especially if they are not genetically gifted with highly responsive traps.

If your traps are high but not thick, deadlifts will help but I would suggest heavy overhand T-bar rows.

Traps have three different portions with fibers that run different for all three aspects. Heavy shrugs are great but their basic, primary emphasis is the upper traps (the part you can see from the front...Goldbergs, if you will :) )

Good luck.

first of all, train traps with back and delts

on back day make sure you do barbell rows and DEADLIFTS!.....along with your other back stuff

after your deadlifts( to end the back session) do heavy shrugs, 5 sets. first set of 8 reps to failure, second 10 to failure, third 12 to failure, forth and fifth 6-8 to failure.
When you are doing the shrugs, try to get your traps as high as you can, try to get them up by your ears!

after the back and shrugs, start your delts off with dumbell upright rows, and bring them up high, and lower them very slowly!
3 or 4 sets of 8-10 should do nicely.
then do your regular delt work.......hope you see results soon....i did when i did a very similar routine.

Along with heavy deads,

Do some very strict sets for all your ROWING movements to target mid-back lower-traps, i.e for:
- bb row
- db row
- machine row
- t-bar row

For these kinda movements do your regular (sloppy) heavy weight sets, and as last set 6 reps with medium weight and PERFECT form.
3 seconds up, contract for 4 seconds!!! really squeeze, elbow must really be as much behind your torso as possible!!! lower the weight in 4 second.
Youy should reach failure around 6th rep, after that continue the set with speedy/sloppy reps and crank out another 6-8 reps....

Good luck Bro...

BTW: you can add some specific movements to target the lower traps:
- rowing torso machine (look a bit like a reverse peck-dec, but you target traps more than rear-delt
- seated cable row, with Y-split cables attached and altered rowing angle. You have to seat yourself LOWER than the bench (otherwise, like normal, you target lats more)

traps

try wide grip upright rows. Shrugs are good for using a heavy weight but you do not get a full range of motion like you do with the upright rows (do with a bar bell). Be careful not to over train them as well. Train your traps not more than twice a week. Do a max of 2 sets with a weight in which you will acheive positive failure in 8-10 reps.

putting all above info together you could:

- train traps twice a week (after back n delts)

- after back:
* make sure u did some heavy deads
* u did some strict contraction rows

- after delts
* make sure u did some heavy military press
* make sure u did some upright rows
* farmer walk recommended at delts day as your grip will fail to fast after training back

use straps for the deads

keep doing heavy db without the straps, instead put down the db for 5 seconds if grip fails and crank out another 6 reps

Top Bottom