Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Soy Protein Isolate

delia

Hi. Does Soy Protein Isolate cause weight gain?
I'm vegetarian/mid 40's/& trying to lose 10 pounds. I don't want to impede any progress I might make. I exercise 3x a week for 45 mins. Can't fit in more & that's probably why it takes me forever to lose any weight.

Thanks.

Losing weight is more about calories in and calories out.

If you have included the protein you are eating in your daily calorie quotient, there shouldn't be an issue with weight gain.

Thanks! Are all brands about the same in terms of contents and will there be instructions for recommended dosage? I'm looking for a brand that contains lecthin and I'm not sure if all Soy Protein Isolate contains this. Apologies for dumb questions. I'm not a body builder by any means. Just trying to keep healthy as I get older.

Thanks!

I haven't used that much soya protein, the one I did use I bought from a bulk supplier in the UK called myprotein.

You can have your choice of protein designed at the protein factory, and there are other similar bulk companies like true protien in the US.

You may want to have a peek at those sites.

Hopefully one of the other women on this site has a few suggestions.

I believe the amino acid profile of soy is inferior to milk and egg proteins, so even if you're not trying to add lean body mass you'd probably want to aim above the conventional allowance for protein intake.

Can't say it any better than Tatyana. Calories in calories out. Additional protein in your diet isn't going to cause weight gain if you are within your deficit calories. Just make sure you add up caloried for EVERYTHING you put in the shake or pudding (however you decide to fix it).

My fav protein is nutrabio.com - no additives, no taste. This allows you to get creative with how you use it. The soy doesn't contain lecthin (this will be hard to find) but lots of other amino acids that you will find beneficial and has absolutely no lactose in it. Remember that soy is slower acting than Whey so it is purely a protein supplement - doesn't really act as a post workout protein.

Good luck - not sure what your workouts look like but I'm guessing you could probably squeeze in a nother 15 minutes per workout and get some interval cardio training in ;-)

Thanks so much. So this would mean that it makes no difference whether I take the protein before or after a work out or whatever time of day. It doesn't react to or with anythingI tried a brand called Genisoy and the vanilla tastes very good. The ultra soy protein by Genisoy talks about aiding w/estrogens (not sure what, but it can't hurt).

Should taking the proper amount of protein give me more energy?

Thanks so much. So this would mean that it makes no difference whether I take the protein before or after a work out or whatever time of day. It doesn't react to or with anythingI tried a brand called Genisoy and the vanilla tastes very good. The ultra soy protein by Genisoy talks about aiding w/estrogens (not sure what, but it can't hurt).

Should taking the proper amount of protein give me more energy?

Immediately after workout is the best time for protein shakes.

As far as the more energy question goes, you can almost say that carbs, protein and fat are interchangeable in the body, it is possible to convert one to another (to lesser or greater extents).

Protein, carbs and fat can all be used as fuel.

Do you know how much protein you are currently eating?

How many calories?

I am not sure if I answered your question properly, as I don't know if I am entirely clear on what you mean by more energy.

Does this mean you are tired quite frequently?

No, it's not that I'm tired frequently. It just seems harder to workout as long and as many days as I have in the past. I'll find that I workout & do well for a few months & then I slack off & feel like I don't have the enthusiasm/strength to even get in 15 mins. I'm hoping that more protein & vitamins will give me a boost. I don't know how many calories I get right now. I'm just starting to try to figure out how to count the proteins because I've read that it's important when women get older to get enough protein before menopause. 125# sure doesn't look the way it used to on me so I'm still figuring out how to count my calories w/various online programs etc. I'm not what you'd consider a clean eater, but I really don't each much junk or fried foods. Most of the protein I get is from boca burgers (or other such products), tofu, hummis. I hardly eat dairy at all so no protein from that.

Some people I know say that vegetarians have a harder time losing weight (if they don't have a lot to lose) because they don't have enough animal protein. I don't know if that's true, but I know for myself, it takes me like two months to lose 5 #s. and the minute I stray, those #s are back in less than a week!

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate all the info & advice I've found here.

'Remember that soy is slower acting than Whey so it is purely a protein supplement - doesn't really act as a post workout protein.'

Hello ladies! My name is Rachael and I am new to this forum - just joined yesterday (thought it was about time!) but have been lurking in the shadows for some time now!

Sorry to ressurect an old post but I just wanted to ask a question about the above quote: I am seriously lactose intolerant and have been drinking 1 x soy protein shake as post work out for the last year or so, thinking it was having the same effect as a whey shake :( ..... does this mean that it would be more beneficial to have maybe eggs as a pwo snack instead?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Rachael x

P.S - I forgot to say it's great to find so many women with such a heathly attitude to food and fitness and I have leant so much from you all from you very informative posts - a big thank you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom