Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Nasty Back Workout with only barbell

wpolo05

Just completed what felt like the best back workout ever. Gym was kinda busy and I felt like beasting it and here is how it went...

Cleans (ground to infront of neck)
6-4-4-3-3-2
Deads
10-6-6-5
CG Shrugs
12-8-6
Bent over Row
8-8

That was it but damn was I sweating and tired when I was done. Back and traps sore almost immediately after..gonna be great tomorrow.

Looks solid brother!! T-Bar rows might be good to throw in also!! Stick one end of the barbell in a hole in the wall and load it up! Youll need a handle though. Keep KILLING that shit!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely will add in t-bars once I can build up more endurance. I had trouble with my lower back making it through bent over rows..which is why I only got 2 sets in. Any suggestions there?

Also, today my tendons and joint hurt around my elbow. I think part of it came from lower the weight after each power clean. Does anyone have suggestions to combat this problem.. especially since it cut down on my arm workout today. Thanks!!

If it is hurting you to do cleans, then don't do them. Personally, I'm not a big fan of them anyways. If you do cleans to build explosiveness, try box squats instead.

What is the benefit of cleans? Beyond the basic deadlift movement, they seem to rely a lot more on momentum than any other kind of movement.

First of all, that is an awesome workout.

Box squats train the hip flexors and when done on a speed day or with bands or both they build explosiveness that carries over to a more explosive back squat. Cleans build full-body explosion that carries over more to athletic and real world activities. Both lifts are good, but there is a difference.

Cleans are not a bodybuilding movement designed to target a specific muscle, you are supposed to use force and momentum. If you are not a competitive olympic-style lifter, the main reason for cleaning is to build explosive power that carries over into activities like exploding out of your stance in football. Due to the fact that the second pull of a clean is a fast, violent shrug done as high as possible, you will get a world of upper back/trap development.

As far as your elbow pain, I would have to see a video of your form on cleans to say whether or not that looks like the culprit, but if you think lowering the weight is hurting it, make sure to check your form. The correct way to lower weight to perform reps on the clean is to drop the weight to your waist, and bend at the knees to absorb the shock, then lower to the floor. If it is a 1 rep max and you aren't performing another rep, just let go when you're done and drop it from your shoulders, this works great with bumper plates, but if your gym doesn't have them, it makes A LOT of noise.

Top Bottom