Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My Training Log: Nerdy Weakling

nerdyweakling

Hi everyone,

I wanted to write up a log for my training. I have received a lot of help from this forum as well as certain members and always appreciate it, most notably zedhed.

I am 5'10'', 28 years old, always athletic but had never lifted weights seriously. I have had digestive issues for a few years, which had gotten me pretty depressed (and down to 158lbs due to a restricted diet). I found that weightlifting helped me feel strong and healthy as opposed to having an illness, so that is what got me into lifting about 6 months ago...I started going serious at it 3 months ago and this week started the SL 5 x 5 based on feedback on the forum. Over the past 6 months I made my own push/pull/legs split and got up to 190lbs (my previous normal weight was 175), although I regret not starting w/ the SL 5 x 5.

I think the most common complaint with the program is that the weights start out too light. I felt the same way, but now realize that it isn't the case. With the lighter weights I came to see how bad my form was, especially for squats and barbell rows. Nothing horrible, but small errors...like knees to far out on squat and limiting the range of motion, or cheating on barbell rows. I have remedied these since.

I did start out a little too heavy, but was able to get to program-designated weights for all of my lifts except for the bench press. I have a plan going forward for the bench press to remedy this and hope it doesn't affect my progress.

Hopefully this sticks out for anyone starting SL 5 x 5 in the future - there is a reason everyone says "stick to the program as is"!

Im gonna be in here big time!
Really looking forward to following along in your adventure bro.
Gr8 job on putting a log up too man!!

So what's your routine look like?

Argh...I can't post web addresses apparently so I'll copy and paste my old and new routines instead. My old routine was pretty lengthy, so I'll put my new one first.

I am not doing the SL 5 x 5. I am using an excel sheet you can get that does the calculations for you in terms of start weights and progression. It is:

Day A
Squat 5 x 5
Bench Press 5 x 5
Barbell Row 5 x 5

Day B
Squat 5 x 5
Bench Press 5 x 5
Deadlift 1 x 5

alternated M,W,F.

My old workout was this:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
DB Bench 5 x 8 (65lbs each db)
Incline DB Fly's 3 x 8 (45 lbs each db)
Incline BB Bench 4 x 8 (65lbs + bar)
Chest Dips 3 x 8 (assisted, @ 30lbs resistence)
Standing Military Press 3 x 8 (20lbs + barbell)
DB front lift 3 x 8 (35lbs each db)
Closed Grip Bench 3 x 8 (45lbs + barbell)
Rope extension 3 x 8 (45lbs)
Dips 3 x 8 (bodyweight)

Day 2: Back, Biceps & Forearms

Barbell Row 5 x 8 (100lbs + barbell)
Wide-grip Chin-ups 4 x 8 (assisted @ 35, 45, 55, and 60 lbs)
DB shrugs 4 x 8 (95 lbs each db)
DB Rows (leaning over bench), 3 x 8 (95lbs)
Reverse DB Curl 3 x 8 (50lbs + barbell)
Hammer curls 3 x 8 (40lbs each db)
Preacher curls 3 x 8 (45 lbs + barbell)
Wrist curls with barbell 3 x 8 (70lbs + barbell)
Wooden stick with rope thing 3 x 8 (20 lbs)

Day 3: Legs
Squats 4 x 8 (140lbs + barbell)
Leg extensions 3 x 8 (160 lbs)
Leg curls 3 x 8 (115 lbs)
Calf Raises 3 x 8 (160 lbs on machine)
Leg Press 4 x 8 (410 lbs, w plates racked)

Day 4: Rest

But that is the SL 5x5 template. I guess what you are saying is that you are gonna use the spreadsheet mostly for your starting weights. I know a lot of other bros from various sites that have done the same. It worked out ok for some and was too much for others.
As for progression, IDK what you doing there bro. Are you simply add 5Lbs to everything except DL, and add 10lbs to your DL or what?

Will be interesting to me to see how this plays out bro.

just keep lifting hard no matter what routine you choose and you will improve, thats the bottom line. you aren't gonna get stronger imagining yourself lifting, you gotta go out there and do it!

the harder you work, the better. overtraining is hard to do

just keep lifting hard no matter what routine you choose and you will improve, thats the bottom line. you aren't gonna get stronger imagining yourself lifting, you gotta go out there and do it!

the harder you work, the better. overtraining is hard to do

def agree with this, especially when just starting out or getting back into it. I dont really agree that overtraining is hard tho. If your not getting in your calorie needs or resting enough, you could be overtained pretty dang quick. That bein said, if your eating like a tank and gettin 8 hours every night, ya, good luck being overtrained unless the volume and frequency is ridiculous

lookin forward to watchin you progress man. Kill that shit every day

Had a great workout today (mid-week two). Weights are heavy enough now that I have to give a little more effort on the last rep, which is good. I also learned another new thing about squat form (bar placement) that I didn't know. I used to do it thinking that if you go down and up with the weight then its a squat...now I realize how many form issues there are.

On the bad side I've noticed that every time I benchpress I get what I perceive as brutal heartburn. It usually gets the worst when I get up after finishing my set. It feels like it could be muscular, and during the first week my joints on the left also hurt a bit (I thought it was my shoulder joint, but closer to my chest), but that pain is gone now (probably because my chest has rested since Friday). The deep muscular pain is still there though, and I couldn't care less if it is indeed muscular - just hoping it isn't acid reflux b/c that is the problem I am dealing with and if it is and doesn't get better I'd probably have to give up bench pressing. I am doing 130lbs, but when I did dumbbell bench press I did 160lbs and didn't feel this. So I wonder if it is something about my form with the bar that is messing up my reflux, causing a muscular thing, or both...If anyone has any ideas on this I'd love to know them.

* Just a quick note. When I do my warm-up set with just the bar, I don't get any of that pain.

That was the one bad point of the best workout on the program yet...love feeling a bit of weight now.

Last edited:
On your bench IDK but try doing a bit more warm up bro.
If your work weight is 130 then try this.
2x12@bar
2x5@85
Worksets
Do your warmup delibertly, not fast.
See how this goes and let us know. Good luck bro!

On your bench IDK but try doing a bit more warm up bro.
If your work weight is 130 then try this.
2x12@bar
2x5@85
Worksets
Do your warmup delibertly, not fast.
See how this goes and let us know. Good luck bro!

Thanks, this worked fairly well. I also added something similar to my squats and that helped a pain I get in my right knee.

Top Bottom