Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My Training Log: Nerdy Weakling

Just squatted 220 alright, will do 225 next time. That's 2 45's on each side, which seems like a bit of a milestone, so I am happy about that. But now after every squat session my legs are killing me...the muscle, which is normal. It probably doesn't help that I ride my bike to/from the gym.

I am reaching my limit in rows, but my bench still has a lot of room to grow. When my bench does get tough, though, should I ask for a spot? I mean, if I ask for a spot I will kind of be cheating the program, right? B/c if I can't do 5x5 I am supposed to do what I can, and retry with the same weight the following week. So I am guessing spots are out of the question, right? I don't care either way, just want to be sure.

Just got back from Friday workout. I had to skip squats because both my knees filled with liquid (I read that its called bursitis) shortly after last weeks squats. It is weird, because squats actually helped the same problem that had become chronic with my right knee. But after last workout both my left and right had the problem apparently caused by the squats, so I decided to take today off (my knee's still have liquid in them and are uncomfortable).

I don't understand it, because I squatted 225 without as many problems as I had when I did 220, and had the pressure on the correct part of my foot and had good form. I simply don't know why it caused this...especially since it previously helped the exact same chronic problem with my right knee, and since I've been squatting for 8 or so weeks now. Also sufficient warm-up, etc.

So today I just did bench and rows. I really hope that my knee's are better by Monday. If they are, and I squat, should I do 230lbs, as per the 5x5 program, or 225 again, or lower the weight due to this problem? any advice greatly appreciated since I have no experience. Thanks.

I squatted 225 again today and I think one of the bursas in my knee collapsed or exploded or something. But it just feels like the pressure is gone. Should I keep squatting or take some time off? I also had the first time that I fell (when by bursa burst), but it was on my last rep on my last set, do according to the 5x5 rules, I completed the 5x5. So should I move up to 230 next week? Because technically I was able to complete the 5 x 5.

Hey bro,
Nice log going on bro.
Knees.....what can I say?
Knees are just funny bro. The best advice that I can give you is do what feels right for you. Push it just a lttle bit but overall do what feels right for your knees.
If you can go up 10 Lbs then fine. If only 5 Lbs then fine. Whatever just so your doing the squats. I beleive in the long run this will help you - knees considerably.

Hey Zedhed,

I was just bullsh*tting to see if anyone was reading the thread :) My next entry was going to be "I broke my left leg but completed the 5x5, should I go up another 5lbs?" :)

I just got back from the workout actually...it actually went well, I did 225 and felt fine, and will see how my knee's react. They didn't do anything weird and aren't swelling, so maybe something in my stance last time hurt me, who knows. Anyway, I'll wait and see. If anything this time seemed to help more than hurt anything. I didn't pop a bursa or fall, I just threw those in to see if anyone was paying attention to the thread :)

It is mid week 10.

Had a good workout...squatted 230 but could not complete the 5x5 (I did 4, 4, 5, 4, 5). I still have two more attempts at it, and given a weekend of rest maybe I can do it Monday. I failed my third time overhead pressing 100lbs and will deload to 90 for Monday. Deadlifted 200, but my form may not be ideal.

Also...the knee issues are much improved...still a little swelling but it is not getting worse, and there is no pain. It looks like taking off squats last Friday was a good idea. After this weekend of rest hopefully they will be back to normal...its more the right one than the left. Very happy they didn't get worse though, they seem manageable.

Deloaded to 90 on overhead press and did it fine. Squatted 235 (5,5,5,3,5,), so I'll repeat with the same weight. Benched 170 no problem.

Seen lots of progress, especially in my legs and chest. I still probably don't look like I lift weights per say, but I feel like I am getting there. I definitely want more improvement on chest more than anything, its always been my weakest point. I am very happy that strength-wise the program is working very well!

I had a good workout today...175 bench, 235 squat and 160 row, all w/ success. I had to kill myself to get the squats but it felt good to know that I did it, not on a day that I felt great and powered through, but on a day where it was very tough and yet I still didn't give up and pushed as hard as I could. Speaking of which I looked on youtube about how to successfully fail a squat so I am not to afraid of not getting the weight back up, since I know how to deal with that scenario.

It was a squat session where I was struggling on my 3rd rep of my 2nd set, couldn't believe it...but in the end I got all 5 x 5. The rows were uncharacteristically easy, which was great. Overall a great workout.

I am about to head out for my workout today. I realized that I am actually in week 12, and will keep going for many more weeks. Just yesterday a friend went insane telling me how huge my arms were when I took off my jacket, and I had to tell him that I don't even work arms directly. He wanted to know what protein powder I was using, and I told him "fish and eggs", and that what is more important is how you are working out. I told him that if he wants I'll explain SL 5x5 and give him the ebook, etc., but didn't want to offer unsolicited advice...

I have a question. I am about to deload on overhead press, which will now be 3x5 as I understand it. My question is, after I deload twice with 3x5, do I move to 1x5? And in all honestly, with 1x5, do I honestly just do 1 set of 5 reps. That must be a quick overall workout. I am not doubting...5x5 has worked so well for me that I can't complain. I'll blindly follow anything SL 5x5 tells me now, even if it is doing 1 rep per week. But I am just curious...is it really just 1x5? And should I include anything else in my workouts since that seems a bit light?

Overall I am making good mass gains over the past few weeks. I am VERY satisfied with the results. I wasn't eating enough in the beginning but now I drink a lot of milk (not a gallon per day though, that is just crazy in my mind...although I'd do it if my stomach was up to it), and think that it has made a difference. I am absolutely enthusiastic about SL 5x5 and compound lifting and am going to tell everyone who asks me about the program and guide them the same way I've been guided.

Top Bottom