Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help: how to build bigger biceps and legs overall?

nEwSkIn said:
anabolicmd,

acutally I do deads and squats, lol. Probably I just need to alter the reps and sets... I´m currently at 3x20 reps on squats, 3x14 on each leg doing lunges, and 3x18 reps deadlifts. I also do single leg calf raises, 3x20 reps.

Any suggestions?

thanx again

Well i think your reps on squats and deads are crazy high. I wouldnt ever go higher than five reps. I usually only do triples and doubles with heavier weights. 18 reps for deads is extreme in my opinion. Technique breaks down more with each rep, especially under heavy loads. I suggest you start lifting for strength size and power and not for endurance.

thanx!

I might just drop down to about 10 or 12 reps for my legs first, and then see how it goes...

As for biceps, what´s a good rep range? Trying not to go too low reps though. I´ve been doing 3x10´s on biceps curls and hammer curls and 3x12 on concentration curls, and those are obviously not working very well...

Maybe 3x6 reps?? and then alternate with 3x10 days, as gimp suggested?

nEwSkIn said:
Zyglamail, shouldn´t it be the other way around?

Meaning, when you do more reps, your muscles get smaller although more defined?
Nope, high reps increase cell size so that it can hold more glucogen for energy because when you start getting into higher rep ranges your working endurance more. Low rep/heavy weight will stimulate CNS response for added strength without a high increase in muscle size.

I think I need to start reading more on the training board. Some interesting stuff here. I think I need to start doing more reps. I always have keep stuff super heavey and low reps.

yeah....it is confusing. Lots of members have different opinions on this. Check out the training board and see. I just think a combination of high reps and low reps is what works best. This is how I do it.

Barbell curls

40 pounds 20 reps
50 pounds 20 reps
60 pounds 15 reps
70 pounds 10-12 reps
80 pounds 6- 8 reps

nEwSkIn said:
Now I´m confused :confused:
This is just a very brief example of what I mean, this is just to illustrate the point and doesnt go into much of an explanation of the various schools of thought.

Look at the average pro body builder, very large muscles and for the most part very stong. They often train with the goal of adding shear size as a primary goal, strength is secondary. When they train not only do the active working parts of the cell increase in size to handle heavier load but the overall cell mass increases to store more energy.

Look at an elite power lifter, while often times very well built and thick, they generally do not carry the muscle mass of a pro BBer because they usually train for strength. When they train not only do the active working parts of the cell increase in size to handle heavier load but the overall cell mass increases to store more energy. This happens but generally to a lesser degree than a BBer because of the training method they use much of their strength is derived from training the central nervous system so that the muscles they do have are more efficient and more contractile force can be generated.

Then we have endurance athlete, often times they are very lean and the muscles lack size because elite endurance training can be very catabolic. Many of these people will also train for strength, however look at the average weekend jogger who doesnt train for strength, their musles look bloated and flat. This is because, as I mentioned their muscle cells have adapted differently than those who train for size and/or strength. They simply increase the size of the cell to hold more energy for the long aerobic sessions without actually increasing the size of the internal working portion of the cell. So the cells do get larger but functionally dont get any stronger because the dont need to.

One thing that helped my biceps considerbly is doing 3-4 sets of heavy preacher curls then going immediately to a burn-out exercise (light weight, concentrate the muscle, fast motion) for 2-3 sets.

Do this AFTER your usual bicep routine, perhaps knocking a couple sets off here and there so you won't over train.

Try that. I guarantee you'll like it.

Zyglamail,

given all this info, could you give me a rough workout design, for my abs, legs and bis ? (using dumbells)

The rest of the muscle groups I´d keep the same way, they are working fine (perhaps a little bit more back would be good lol)

I have started doing HIIT every other day, and when I´m tired I just do regular cardio, 40 minutes.

thanx

gimp said:
yeah....it is confusing. Lots of members have different opinions on this. Check out the training board and see. I just think a combination of high reps and low reps is what works best. This is how I do it.

Barbell curls

40 pounds 20 reps
50 pounds 20 reps
60 pounds 15 reps
70 pounds 10-12 reps
80 pounds 6- 8 reps

Wheres the low rep work? I dont see it, its not there.

Top Bottom