Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Current Routine (5x5) - seeking peer-review

Synpax said:
I've been at this for about 3 weeks now and think it will do me until I start a cycle in mid-October.

I have a three tiered fitness program.
- Cardio Work. In a running club, training for triathlons, usually train in morning or early evening (~6PM). Swim, spin, bike, run.
- Morning Muscle Endurance. Wake up and immediatly do 100+ crunches, 50+ pushups, will add pullups when I get a bar. Will start doing some rotator cuff type work with bands on alternating mornings.
- Lifting for strength, hypertrophy. I go in the afternoons around 2 PM.

4 day cycle. 3 days on, 1 day off.
Natural.
2-3 minutes between 5x5 exercises
45 seconds between 2x10 exercises

Day 1 - Chest/Tris/Forarms
5x5 - Flat bench / Incline bench (alternate each session)
2x10 - DB Press Flat
2x10 - DB Flys Incline

5x5 - Weighted Dips
2x10 - Lying DB tricept extension
2x10 - Rope pulldowns (complete each rep with rope stretched taught at waist)

3x2x (Wrist Curls x 10, wrist reverse curls x 10, wrist abductions x 10)

Day 2 - Back/Bi/Abs
5x5 - Deadlifts /w straps (lower back)
5x5 - Extra Wide grip weighted overhand pullups
2x10 - Wide grip cable row (using widest grip on the lat pulldown bar swapped to cable row bench).
2x10 - Lat Pulldown (Carefully behind neck, same as infront with head tilted forward)
2x10 - DB shrugs

5x5 - EZ bar curls (pinky at top of incline above thumbs)
2x10 - Hammer curls
2x10 - Backward DB preacher curls, bar parallel to floor. (I lean over the preacher curl bench so that my arm is goin straight down to the ground.)

5x5 - Needsize decline plate crunches
2x10 - DB sidebends

Day 3 - Legs/Delts/Forarms
5x5 - Incline leg press
2x10 - Squat (this will be 5x5 when I perfect my form with heavy weights)
2x10 - Leg Curls
2x10 - LEg Abductor
2x10 - Leg Adductor
2x10 - Seated Calve raises

5x5 - Standing DB Shoulder Press
4x10 - Lateral raises (4 var. - together in front, side, behind, and backwards leaning forward over the back extension thing)
2x10 - Front raises
3x2x (Wrist Curls x 10, wrist reverse curls x 10, wrist abductions x 10)

Day 4 - Rest

workout looks good, but one thing comes to mind. you said that your back isn't strong enough to handle the weight that your legs can do. this could be due to the fact that you are doing heavy deads one day (5x5) and then on the next day trying to squat. both deadlifting and squatting put a strain on the lower back (the erectors.) IMO you are not giving your lower back enough rest inbetween the two days, and this is effecting your squats. i would switch day one and day two around, thus giving your lower back a day of rest between your deadlifting, and you squatting (plus your day off would give you a day off between the squatting and the deadlifting.) and get rid of the leg presses.
another great exercise that i think you should alternate in to help strengthen your lower back, and would help with your squatting (and your deadlifting) would be good mornings. since i started doing these, my squats have been going up steadily. i would alternate these with your deads (deads one week, GM's the next.) also, to give your hams a better workout, i think you should start doing some SLDL. SLDL are my favorite leg workout. i have to use straps on these when i go heavy (anything over 315 for more than 5 reps) because i simply cant hold on to that much weight with an over hand grip.
those are just my opinions. i think if you made these changes, you would start to imporve you squats.
also, just curious...but why did you decide to do leg abductors are leg adductors?

As said previously I would use the leg press as the main leg exercice

Anyway, you're lifting 3 days in a row then 1 day off and you start again 3 in/1 off ?
and on top of that you're running/cycling everyday ?

Looks a lot to me.... Can you gain a little mass with that much volume ?
[unless you are juiced ?]

Top Bottom