Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Couple of questions about training while on the keto diet..

JG1

Hello,

I'm 24 years old, 5'8" at 240lbs. I'm probably a hair under 20% bodyfat. I'm currently taking 200-300mg/week of Primobolan depot.....first time I've taken anything is about 3 years. I'd like to bring my BF down to about 10%, and I'm considering the keto diet...6 days fat/protein, 1 day carb load. I was thinking of doing this for 4-6 weeks. I don't know If I'll be able to lose 20-25lbs on this diet in 4-6 weeks, but I'll give it my best shot.

I have a few questions about my traing while on this diet. Basically I weight train Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, hitting every muscle once per week. Chest and Back on Tuesday, Shoulders and arms on Thursday, and legs on Saturday. Chest and back, & and also arms are done doing compound sets. Larger muscle groups get 9 sets to failure, smaller muscle groups get 6 sets to failure. Reps are kept from 6-10. I also hit the treadmill 3 days a week during my off days on an empty stomach first thing in the morning for an 60 minutes keeping my heart rate at about 127-136 bpm.

Now, while on the keto diet, should I still keep the same workout regimen? I'm not sure if training heavy during this diet will be counter productive. What about the cardio...keep it at the same level as I'm doing now?

Also, to determine my BMR, is it total body weight times 12, or lean body weight times 12?

The optimum caloric split is about 80% fat, 20% protein on this diet?
240lbs x 12 = 2880 x .85 =2448 calories/day. 20% of that will be 490 calories which is only 123 grams of protein. Is this enough protein to keep me from losing muscle? Just seems awefully low to me.

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Based on my own experience with the ketogenic diet, it is important to train heavy. One hundred grams of protein isn't low, it just isn't what you would need to gain muscle--and that isn't your objective right now anyway. Will you lose muscle? Maybe, but if you train heavy, you'll stimulate natural testosterone production that will help you keep what you have for time being.

The downside that I found was that my lack of energy from carb deprivation forced me to reduce my WO to 1 warmup set and 2 sets to failure in the 6-8 rep range. With morning cardio and (hopefully) ketosis, that should be plenty.

The BMR calculation you cited is for your total bodyweight--what it would take to maintain your weight right now.

ON A LOW CARB DIET, YOU SHOULD LIFT MON,TUE,FRI WITH A WHOLE BODY WORKOUT FRI-FOLLOW THE FRI WORKOUT WITH 24 HOURS OF TONS OF CARBS-this keeps muscle and cuts fat

Thanks for the replies!

What would be the maximum amount of carbs per day I'd be able to eat while staying in ketosis? I know I'm aiming for 0, but if I had maybe 10-15grams a carbs a day would that be ok? I'd still like to take a few scoops of Designer protein daily, and that has a couple grams of carbs per serving.

Also, is it a good idea for me to buy keto-sticks?

I'm assuming its still ok for me to do my 3x week hour cardio session? And how important is it to do a full body workout the day before the carb load?

thanks! :eyes:

I'm also thinking about doing the 33-33-33 split. Keeping my calories about 2450 daily, and eating 200 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 90 grams of fat.

Still trying to decide between what diet to follow....

Top Bottom