Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

calling all strongmen and anyone else

Cochise (M-Wave) said:
I myself don't wear a belt for anything I do in the gym or events. If I were you, I would start using lighter weights for a set or two of whatever event you are working on without a belt. This would get you conditioned to not using one. Then I would make sure that you tooka heavier set with a belt. Over time I would try to make those lighter sets heavier (still no belt of course). Eventually, I think you could work up to the point of not needing a belt.

For example:

Yoke walk: lets say that 600lbs for 80ft is a big struggle for you.

I would do about 300 or so for a couple sets of 50-80ft no belt

Then maybe go about 450 for 25 ft. no belt

Then take your 600 run with a belt. In addition, you could do a static set with 600 and not use a belt.

These are my ideas, I am not an expert on the subject. I am sure others will pitch in better ideas

This is one of the bests post I've read in a long long time. I'd take Cheese's advice like Gold.

I wil add this. When I was competing with light weights...I did not feel the need for a belt or knee sleeves. I have also reaized that my knees and spine feel differently when I go from a training weight on the Super Yoke of 700 to 800+. I also feel a big difference from when I was using 650 on the Conan's Wheel to 800+. Farmers...same thing. BIG difference in how the joints feel when using 250 farmers compared to 325+.

I don't do any gym lifts with a belt, as it helps me with my events. When I do events, I'll wear everything that I can, especially on all heavier sets. It is just that my warm-up sets now were my work sets then.

In short, I wouldn't wear the belt on more than one set per event...IMO.

Hope this makes some sense.

B True

JOKER47 said:
I would train beltless. I nevr wear a belt when training. The only time Idid, was the week before Bluegrass when I trained just how I would compete.

My standpoint is: If the belt helps you hit a lift that you wouldn't have without it, you have a weakness. Address and fix the weakness, don't cover it up.

You will be that much stronger on contest day when I WOULD wear the belt if legal.

Just my .02,
Joker

I guess I should add that I am speaking only for a belt. I use thin elbow sleeves and knee sleeves almost all the time.
Occasionally, I use my Rehband elbow sleeves just so I am always comfortable with them.

.02 more,
Joker

I only add in my belts 1 or 2 weeks out from a contest,just so I can get used to feeling them around my waist.Other than that I almost always never wear a belt,but if I feel like I need it for some reason,Ill throw it on

Top Bottom