Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

calling all strongmen and anyone else

T

t3c

I am debating if I should be training with a belt on the events. Recently I've been going beltless and I feel alot less stable obviously. The weights I can handle a good deal less too.

Should i be using a belt on this day? I feel like if i am, I am missing out on some really functional core work. And if i dont wear a belt i'm not getting to use the weights i can be

opinions please

i'd stay beltless, when you compete you can have the added gear and push yourself more. thats not to say you couldnt use a belt every once in a while to raise the bar a bit. the problem you dont want to run into is getting so strong with the belt and vulnerable without. if the amounts of weights you handle with and without a belt becomes too different, you will have to be more dilligent in tracking it....just to avoid injury when you do train beltless.

I use a belt on events. I train my core on other days. I know people who are successful BOTH ways.

I use a belt on event day. Therefore, I train with one.

bignate73 said:
i'd stay beltless, when you compete you can have the added gear and push yourself more. thats not to say you couldnt use a belt every once in a while to raise the bar a bit. the problem you dont want to run into is getting so strong with the belt and vulnerable without. if the amounts of weights you handle with and without a belt becomes too different, you will have to be more dilligent in tracking it....just to avoid injury when you do train beltless.

cool

I would train beltless. I nevr wear a belt when training. The only time Idid, was the week before Bluegrass when I trained just how I would compete.

My standpoint is: If the belt helps you hit a lift that you wouldn't have without it, you have a weakness. Address and fix the weakness, don't cover it up.

You will be that much stronger on contest day when I WOULD wear the belt if legal.

Just my .02,
Joker

I myself don't wear a belt for anything I do in the gym or events. If I were you, I would start using lighter weights for a set or two of whatever event you are working on without a belt. This would get you conditioned to not using one. Then I would make sure that you tooka heavier set with a belt. Over time I would try to make those lighter sets heavier (still no belt of course). Eventually, I think you could work up to the point of not needing a belt.

For example:

Yoke walk: lets say that 600lbs for 80ft is a big struggle for you.

I would do about 300 or so for a couple sets of 50-80ft no belt

Then maybe go about 450 for 25 ft. no belt

Then take your 600 run with a belt. In addition, you could do a static set with 600 and not use a belt.

These are my ideas, I am not an expert on the subject. I am sure others will pitch in better ideas

I personally like training both ways. I have been wearing a belt less on events, but as a contest nears, I would train in full gear. If you just throw a belt on on contest day, you won't be accustomed to it, and may not get full benefit from it. Like Linder said, there are people who have had great success both ways, so use a little of both:)

cheese is not expert, but he can take a 700 yoke 50 feet with no belt and load a 345 stone(a big 345 stone at that)

i think there is merrit to training both ways.

maybe a lighter week 1 week and no belt, and the next heavier with a belt.

or for longer periods of time.....4 weeks no belt then 4 weeks with a belt....etc etc.

X

I'm with bignate and joker- "i'd stay beltless, when you compete you can have the added gear and push yourself more. "

I never wear a belt, except on max day every couple weeks, and even then, only on the last two sets (max set and right before the max)... I am used to not ever using it, and then throwing it in, so not being used to it is not a problem for me, throwing it on the set right before the max is enough practice with it for me...

To each his own though- there are many ways to skin a cat...

Top Bottom