Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Beef Jeerky? Ok source for protien?

I have noticed that there are alot of brands of beef jeerky that are now low in fat and sodium. I havn't used them as a source for protein, but wonder if I could once in a while. It would be nice for those times when cooking chicken isn't possible.

Do any of you use it once in a while? what do you think?

I know its not the best source for protein, but again wonder if its ok once in a while.

If it is used sparringly, i guess it would be OK. You have to remember 90% of all those jerky products are byproducts, and loaded with nitrates and other such substances. So as I said once in a while shouldn't kill you, but I would not make it a staple in my diet.

I love beef-jerkey. Yet, after watching the way they make it in the factory.......ok, I hope you get what I mean (just like hotdogs).

Now, to answer your question: yes, it can be a good source for a snack, but cannot replace a meal like a chicken breast.

Mr.X :cool:

Yeah, I'm sure its all sorts of gross parts thrown together, YUM, lol

Chicken/tuna are my choices for protein. fast and cheap. I just wish there were more choices that were as easy, besides protein bars/shakes.

Thanks for the info!:fro:

A lot of grocery stores have their own brands of jerky that they make in-house. Those are probably the best bet for knowing they were made of quality beef. Just check in the meat section. I know Randalls down here has good beef jerky. I think they're a great snack to help keep protein up. Just watch the sodium like you said, and look for sugars in them with some of the flavors. You'll look at one type, and it's got 2g of carbs and 0 sugars, and then the next one over has 8g of sugar. If you're following the BFL diet, then you're probably not concerned with carbs in general, but you'll want to watch for the sugars. Hope this helps.

Jen--lean ham is a great protein source, if you eat pork. It's easy for snacks, too. Cottage cheese is excellent as well. I also will buy a turkey breast, roast it and eat it for days. Turkey's a good protein source.

Yes, I am also a fan of lean ham and turkey, even the pre cooked kind, they work nicely once in a while as well. Just cut off a slice and your ready to go! But with my job (I'm a waitress) I am looking for more dry protein. something that I can just put in a little baggy and eat when I have time. Putting food in a fridge at a restraunt, does not work!! They always throw it out, very frustrating. Plus, I usually am very busy at work, and have to eat VERY fast.

What other dry proteins are good?

Top Bottom