Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A magic pill or something?

B

buksoon

Hey guys, need your help!

In a couple of months, I am required to take a fitness test.

Push-ups? Check.
Sit-ups? Check.
Pull-ups? Check.

But there is a running component. I don't run. Let me restate that: I don't run.

4 days a week, I walk on the treadmill at 2.5 (incline 15) for an hour. I could WALK to Timbuktu and back, no problem. But I can't RUN around the block. My lungs burn and I can't breathe.

I don't have asthma, and I don't smoke. I'm very trim and I lift.

Also, running makes my knees hurt like a mofo, regardless of surface. That might be because I bounce too much? Or bad shoes?

Do you have ANY ideas for something to help me? I am really scared I won't pass this test.

I love runnning. running is all about your breathing technique. unfortunately I smoke, which prohibits my growth and all, but you have to get a rhythm down for your breathing. I inhale on the fourth step. exhale in small puffs on the other three steps. you got to do this slowly, but you have to progress. I loved to run, but I just wasn't in shape. so now I run twice a week approx 2-4 miles a session. I dont like to run too long, because my knees are just plain bad. if your knees hurt when you run, get a shoe with more cushion, or if that doesn't help out or you don't want to get a new set of kicks, try running on the balls of your feet. a little difficult now that you have your calves doing more work in the run than you would if you heelstrike. before you run, do some MILD exercises like squats(w/o weight), provided you stretch with the full range of motion of your legs, glutes, and front part of your hips, oh and your hamstrings. I smoke and I still run a 24 minute 3 mile. after your run, stretch slow but as far as you can. I heard if you keep your legs elevated after your run it keeps the blood from filling up your legs which in part will allow your legs to recover faster. one last point, when you are finished running, walk for at least ten minutes so you don't cramp up. obviously, you should be hydrated. this is what I do and I have built up some endurance this way, but I want to add muscle so I don't run as much as I could. okay last point, if you stretch properly after your run, you shouldn't feel SORE in your legs, your legs should feel like they can go for some more (provided you got used to this routine...)

just my two cents

I forgot to add, being in the Corps, I got used to doing pull ups and push ups after my run, since my blood was pumped. if you do those exercises beforehand, you will get tired on your run. I would recommend sets of 20-25 pushups as much as you can, same with crunches, and sets of 10 or more chinups to failure.

One word: STAIRCLIMBER MACHINE

Really expands the heart-lung system like no other, used extensively by mountainclimbers to increase lunng and red blood capacity to breath at great heights....

Stairclimber is easy on your knee-pads

Suggested routine:

4 times a week:

training 1:
40 minutes steady state at 50-60 % VO2 max

training 2:
30 minutes steady state at 70 % VO2 max

training 4: heavy interval sprint training,
short intervals (30sec)
5 minutes warmup
20 minutes intervals of 30 seconds at 90 % VO2 max
steady pace until Hartbeat is back to around 130 before next interval

training 4: heavy interval sprint training,
long intervals (60sec)
5 minutes warmup
20 minutes intervals of 60 seconds at 80-90 % VO2 max
steady pace until Hartbeat is back to around 130 before next interval

Repeat cycle, within a month you should have developed allround condition to pass most tests on various distances!

If the burning in your lungs does not subside, it might be your breathing technique or undefined medical condition, have it checked out!

May the force be with you...

for running, (and i'm not a runner, i actually hate it myself, so take this with a grain of salt) the best thing to do is just go out there and do it... run for 1 min, walk for 9 min, run for 1, walk for 9 min, run for 1 and so on for 40 min or so... do this 2 or 3 times a week... then run for 2 min, walk for 8... then 3 and 7, then 4 and 6, then 5 and 5... work your way up... after about 3-4 weeks or so, you should find that you're able to run 10-15 minutes and survive, which would probably get you through your test (and maybe you'll find you actually like doing it, don't know why though?? :) )

it just takes time to build up the stamina... but apparently not that much time... this is what most people who 'don't run' but want to or have to, do to get the hang of it...

no magic pill... a eca stack may give you a little more energy... make sure you're still drinking lots of water and stretching (running the first few times, especially on real surfaces (i.e. NOT the treadmill) can use muscles you forget you have while in the gym (calves are usually the worst for me when i do run))

yeah, proper shoes are necessary... invest in a good pair of runners, your body will thank you... (and if you can, run on a track... that's the best surface...)

stepmills - (and he didn't mean the stairmaster)

cardio endurance and running are, IMHO two completely different things... i can climb the CN tower (and have in under 15 min) but i can't run more than a few blocks without feeling like i'm going to DIE!!!

as i said, if running is something you HAVE to do for this test, then there will be no other way to prepare than RUN... its a completely different motion

Phem, I know what you mean! Running and endurance-walking are 2 different animals entirely.

I can walk to China (thru Alaska) and back, but I can't run 50 feet. And my sister smokes, does not exercise with a fraction of my consistency, and is about 20 lbs heavier--yet she runs with no problem. No fair!

Goahead: I forgot about the Stairclimber for overall lung conditioning! Good call; I"m going to do it tonight! I'll work up this way until I can try and run around a track somewhere.

We have one of those conveyor belt stair machines at the gym. Ya ever read "The Inferno" by Dante about the various levels of Hell? He forgot about the stairmaster level! 12 minutes, MAX, before I start begging the Dark Forces for mercy on my soul.

But I still want magic pills!! As an American, it is my Constitutional right to seek an Easy Way Out. :D Anything, guys?

If running hurts your joints then there's not a lot you can do except grin and bear it if the test is that important. To get fitter I'd suggest either stairclimber, excercise bike or rowing as none of these are impact cardio, putting stress on the joints as running is.

Take about 3 Advil's (Ibuprofen) about a half hour before you run. This will help alleviate some of the joint pain. Although im sure it is not recommended to do on a regular basis because if your hurting its your bodys natural way of telling you that it cant handle this... but.. if you HAVE to run.. then take the advil, it helps alot. (atleast for me)
When I was more in to competitive martial arts. We would take about 1000 mg of advil just before our competition, it loosened all your joints and muscles considerably, but if you were to pull something and you didnt know it.. you would deffinately be able to tell when the advil wore off.

How long will you have to run? For time? For distance?

Being close to 300lbs..I do not run either. It tears my knees up. I used to be able to run on the treadmills at the gym, but as I got heavier the belts on the treadmill could not handle my weight even at a fast walk. They would shift and jump when I would walk on them...even at a low light pace. Stinkin' treadmills. Just gave me a good excuse not to use them anymore:)

B True

Top Bottom