Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

TriMojo's Quest for Muscle Log

trimojo said:
I'm a triathlete finishing a season and trying to put on more muscle and lower my bodyfat.

Current stats: 5'5" 114 pounds, 13.5% body fat

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148342/biceps.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148342/back.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148342/legs2.jpg

I'm going to enjoy this experience because it's completely opposite of endurance training. I'm going to have to learn to eat very differently. Here we go!

7:00am- 10oz coffee with 2oz skim milk
7:30am- Vanilla protein shake w/10 blueberries and 1 apricot

8:30 am- 8 min. elliptical warm up
CHEST & TRICEPS

Incline Bench Press (3 sets) 12xbar, 12xbar, 12xbar
Dumbbell Chest Fly's (3 sets) 12x20lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x20lbs
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press (3 sets) 12x20lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x20lbs, 8x20lbs
Peck Deck Machine (5 sets) 12x30lbs, 12x25lbs, 12x25lbs, 12x20lbs, 12x20lbs
Chest Press Machine (3 sets) 8x60lbs, 10x55lbs, 10x55lbs

Tri's Standing Cable Pushdowns (3 sets) 12x30lbs, 12x30lbs, 12x35lbs
Skullcrushers (3 sets) 12xEZ bar, 12xEZ bar, 12x EZ bar
Dumbbell Donkey Kickbacks (3 sets) 12x15lbs, 12x15lbs, 12x15lbs
Seated Press (3 sets) 12x90lbs, 12x100lbs, 12x100lbs
Assisted Dip Machine (5 sets) 12x50lbs, 12x50lbs, 12x45lbs, 12x45lbs, 10x40lbs

I read that Shadow posted it's better to do cardio after weights. I ran 6.5 miles after lifting. I also need to swim today but after reading replies to my first post, I don't think I'm eating enough. Sometimes, I'm really ass dragging tired after long workouts. I decided to leave the gym to eat.

11:00am- 1/2 an apple
10 almonds

12:15- turkey, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles wrap

I'll head back to the gym in a hour or so for this swim workout and then eat again.
1300 yds total:
200 warm up
4 sets of:
100 hard/30 sec rest
75 hard/30 sec rest
50 hard/30 sec rest
200 easy cool down

3:00pm- Nectarine and 12 almonds

5:00pm- gin and club soda with slice of lime

6:30pm- 1/4 cup almonds, beer

7:45pm- salad w/ 5oz chicken breast

9:30pm- 4 oz chicken breast, 2 medium red potatoes, 2oz dark chocolate

I want to know why you can't be a smoking fast triathlete while being real muscular? It sucks you can't be buff and win. Why does more muscle equal speed loss?

I'm really trying to add more protein to my diet. I put a scoop of vanilla protein in my oatmeal this morning. I almost had to hold my nose, I felt like gagging. Cutting out refined carbs has helped the last two weeks. I do see more defintion.

But I did my best leg press set today.180x12, 190x10, 195x8, 200#x 6

Isn't very impressive, huh? I read some of your gals' squat poundage. That's impressive!

AGAIN QUOTING SASSY
POST 1054
I'd probably agree -- at least go by the rule of thumb 1-1.2 x your body weight in protein to maintain - and for guy, probably more like 1.5x. I would challenge him to relook at his protein intake, adjust up and see how it works for him. Also look at the quality of the carbs- for the calories of carbs consumed, is he getting the best quality for the demands of his body. If speed and agility are a demand on him, I'm guessing he doesnt' want to let the total calories get too wild, so in order to increase the protein, might need to optimize the calories taken up by carbs & fats.

A thought on achieving two goals at the same time - not so much the "look" but rather strength, I am thinking of our little hottie, Shades McCool - here is a college age guy, around 180 lb, who can run a fast 40 m dash while being able to deadlift 500 lb. Most of the power lifting guys are pushing 300 lb and feel they need to be that big to do competiton quality lifts - but Shades is a guy you'd probably never suspect of that amount of strength - so he's acheived amazing power & agility while not having bodyweight that would compromise his speed. Granted endurance training is slightly different than just sprinting, but at least making some tweaks to the diet will get more in the direction of at least preserving muscle mass vs completely sacrificing it.

trimojo said:
So, you like want to know about my 29 year old booty? ;)

My booty has always been the biggest thing on my body. I had junk in the trunk since I was 13. Since I started training for triathlon, my husband says my booty has disappeared.

I don't agree, I still have some booty. Let me see what he thinks about a booty shot and I'll show you.

If there is a part of my legs I hate, it's my outer thighs. I can only see cellulite dimples on my "saddlebags" if I stand a certain way. I wouldn't say I have a cellulite booty problem though.
Thanks for the reply!!
And those saddlebags are horrible!!!I agree!!!

trimojo said:
I want to know why you can't be a smoking fast triathlete while being real muscular? It sucks you can't be buff and win. Why does more muscle equal speed loss?

I'm really trying to add more protein to my diet. I put a scoop of vanilla protein in my oatmeal this morning. I almost had to hold my nose, I felt like gagging. Cutting out refined carbs has helped the last two weeks. I do see more defintion.

But I did my best leg press set today.180x12, 190x10, 195x8, 200#x 6

Isn't very impressive, huh? I read some of your gals' squat poundage. That's impressive!

As noted before -- the two goals are conflicting. You can build strength & speed, but size can make it harder. Shades McCool - one of the studly guys on the training board -- what is he? About 5'10"? Around 185 lb. Deadlifts 500 lb. I.e. He doesn't look like a powerlifter but he lifts like one. You don't have to be a 300 lb guy w/ a pack of hotdogs for a neck (ever see those big guys who look like they have a package of Ballpark Franks on the back of their neck??) to be a strong powerlifter. But if you add significant muscle that extra weight can impact your running because its more stuff you have to carry around. But more so you would need to optimize your diet EXACTLY to what it would need to provide enough energy for running & speed, as well as training and enough protein to build / maintain muscle and absolutely no more or less. And then determine what amount of fat works best within the whole program. Then youd' have to get your training down to a T as well.

Also when you talk about being buff -that means both having enough muscle to have the shape but also cutting your bodyfat down enough to appear ripped. Just to do that for competition , having nothing to do w/ running or any sort of performance requirements (BB's just sorta stand there & hold poses for a while), requires 1000% optimized diet, trainign & cardio. Not just a "clean diet" or a "good diet" but 1000% optimized and constantly tweaked to match the changes every couple days. Your diet w/ the booze and what not will absolutely not produce a ripped body (and I'm referring in the extreme) -- so to get that goal is a challenge to determine the type of diet & training that will produce it but also the dedication to the very strict diet to get your body to run completely optimally to get you there. And that can definitely start cutting into your every day life. So just want to give you a view into the reality of getting to this look. Its a layer down from just "clean diet" and alot of training,.

Not saying some compromise of that isnt' doable, but it takes first an exercise of laying out a diet & training program on paper, running it for a few weeks to see how it works on your body and then tweaking it as you go. Its a first pass at the 'guestimate' level, and then some trial and error. But I still think you are going to encounter challenges because the two goals of endurance and mass are conflicting in their fundamental nature.

trimojo said:
I want to know why you can't be a smoking fast triathlete while being real muscular?

Why??

The body is not equipped to carry a lot of body mass through long distances -you have to understand - the body is THE most adaptive, responsive machine EVER created.

It will do what you ask of it.......if you ask it to run long distances - it will shed lean body mass(at a faster rate than fat) to accomplish the goal - lbm requires Oxygen. EXTENDED physical activity causes an oxygen debt - so the easiest way to adapt is to lop off gobs of muscle.

Sprinters are the opposite - they "look" muscular due to intense short bursts of speed.

You will never EVER see a muscular marathoner or a skinny sprinter.

IF lbm is your numer 1 priority - you should seriously consider detraining on the mileage.

You won't overcome thousands of years of genetic evolution

Top Bottom