Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Who here has failed on free weight squats?

supersizeme

I have done it the past two weeks in a row. This is by no means a bragging thread like I think I'm hardcore super-lifter guy, as it's a rather humbling experience if you've never been through it, and I have never intentionally driven myself to failure because that's just not an exercise you really want to do it on. I have been squatting for about two years now and had never had it happen up until two weeks ago, and now it's happened two weeks in a row.
I work out alone and squat in a power rack with the pins set to right below the point where I begin my ascent. I use that both for safety and to gauge how far down I need to be going. The first time it happened was two weeks ago on my second set of breathing squats. I had gotten 18 reps on my first set which was about what I was shooting for because I knew 20 was just not happening. So on the second set I was shooting for 15 and right after I go down for the 14th rep, at the bottom of the movement I hit the failure wall like a ton of bricks. I think I made it up an inch before I realize I was going no further. At that exact moment, my first reaction was to hold perfectly still and see who all was witnessing this brilliant event and which chicks were busy writing their names and phone numbers on their panties ready to hand to this smooth guy trapped under the bar with his ass sticking out, beet red face, olympic bar going nowhere but down, and countenance that read "why is this happening to me?" Fortunately no one was really paying attention so I just kind of leaned forward and laid the bar down on the pins in a good-morning type fashion and got out from under it. Since I'm mostly lower body and not much upper body, I had to unload most of the weight I had on there and then squat it back up to rack it(as opposed to pressing it up there, i was not ready to make a bigger ass out of myself by failing at that, too), then reload the bar and go at it again. Anyways it was a humbling thing and it happened again yesterday because I squatted heavier with lower reps than I have been doing for the past few months and I wasn't used to it. Joy. Anyone else done it to themselves?

It's happened to me, but considering that my legs look like that of a chicken and I work out at home, it wasnt that much of a deal....

I usually work to failure on squats. I crash the wieghts all the time...I was somewhat embarrassed the first time I crashed the weights as I thought that everyone was looking at me, but now I don't think anything of it.

So work til failure and watch your legs grow.

Been there done that.

Squats - quite similar to yours.

Dead lift - Had to drop the bar once

Incline Bench. - In my best The FLY voice "HELP ME!"...that was ill.

Leg Press - You got it bottom of the rack. Had to slide out of the seat once...Yeah hey..it's me the retard who can't press this weight back up. CLANG!!!!

Soooo don't feel like your the only member of the I did one too many reps club!

yeah incline bench is one i'm waiting for it to happen to me on. i usually avoid it for that very reason, unless there's someone i know well enough there to bug for three spots. leg press has to be humbling. deadlifts i have yet to fail on, but it probably wouldn't be that big of a spectacle because i'm usually strapped on the sets i would have to be concerned about failing on.

now failing on tricep kickbacks...that's just one exercise you get nothing but glory from going to failure on, right next to wrist curls. people just stand back and are like...wow you are king iron, buddy, let me get the fuck out of your way.

The Dead lift thing was fugly to the core. I had 7 plates on each side and I was on the way up, had it locked and then my left hand cramped up and Instead of risking any injury I dropped it. Made a pretty big caboom.

OH and then once about a year ago I was using one of those flat benches that has the pegs every 3 inches or so. I clipped the right side of the bar on one because I was kind of zoning out. Next thing I now four plates go cling...clang..thunk...boom. one way then four on the other side do the same thing. I was like...uh...uh...what!?

WODIN said:
The Dead lift thing was fugly to the core. I had 7 plates on each side and I was on the way up, had it locked and then my left hand cramped up and Instead of risking any injury I dropped it. Made a pretty big caboom.

OH and then once about a year ago I was using one of those flat benches that has the pegs every 3 inches or so. I clipped the right side of the bar on one because I was kind of zoning out. Next thing I now four plates go cling...clang..thunk...boom. one way then four on the other side do the same thing. I was like...uh...uh...what!?

damn Wodin those are some powerlifting numbers

Top Bottom