Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Wendlers 5/3/1 assistance/routine critique?

Robp85

Im training to join the army after a year doing no weights/cardio and this is my current routine. And my goals are to do 1 1/2 mile run under 10min 30, 44+ press ups, 50+ sit ups along with gaining muscle mass to get some extra weight on me. This is what im doing bear in mind 3-4 weeks ago i couldnt even run 3/4 of 1 mile.
Tues -
Shoulder press 5/3/1
Rows 4x10
Shrugs 4x10
Distance run (last run 3 miles increasing speed or time running each time)

Weds -
chest 5/3/1
Incline bb press 4x10
Press ups 4x10
Interval 10 mins at 1min fast as can run 1min cool down jog.

Fri -
Deadlift 5/3/1
Chins 4x10 (after 2nd set start struggling full 10 so use assist thing)
Lat pull down machine 4x10

Sat -
Squat 5/3/1
Leg press 4x10
Calf raises 4x10
Swimming 30-45 mins as many laps can manage rest and repeat

1. Switch one of you upper's with a lower, so you aren't doing two days of upper and two days of lower right next to each other.

2. Realize that any weight you gain will make all of your army physical test stuff harder.

3. Things like pushups and situps you could potentially do every day and try to hit one more than the previous day if you were so inclined. You aren't currently doing any situp training as far as I can see. If you're interested in maxing out your scores, doing them every day will be a very fast way to increase them.

4. I'd drop the swimming and put in a day of running where you do 1.5 miles as fast as possible once a week. This is a good thing to combine with your longer distance runs to decrease your 1.5 mile time.

5. Make sure you're eating appropriately for your goals, since diet is a big part.

make the press ups and sit ups part of your assistance work if you will be tested on them. Maybe use his bodyweight assitance program.

And my goals are to do 1 1/2 mile run under 10min 30, 44+ press ups, 50+ sit ups along with gaining muscle mass to get some extra weight on me.

What's the best way to get better at something? Do it more. For example, focus some of your assistance exercises on press ups, sit ups and practice running 1 1/2 mile for cardio.

Top Bottom