Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tat's DON'T GET FAT offseason journal

Tatyana said:
Everytime I start working out my macros and calories it seems to get easier.

I am reading this book by Rob Faigin called Natural Hormonal Enhancement, and he says - no counting calories.

I think Nelson has something similar in his e-book, I am going to read that next.

How fab would it be if you could just eat intuitively and not have to count calories!

I could eat for bloody England, right now I am pretty good at keeping portions small, but I also know I have to eat a bit more to put on some more muscle while I have the energy to seriously hammer out the weights in the gym, and I don't have that concern about doing myself and injury too close to a comp.
Crap, Tatyana, I didn't mean this to become a rant I don't want to hijack your log ... but the diet/eating thing is a major issue for most of us and it only gets MORE frustrating as you get older!

Anyway, with all due respect to Mr. Faigin, I don't think intuitive eating works for everyone, and here's my caveat: People who were extremely overweight/obese before puberty have different metabolisms and just a general predisposition to being way fatter than people who were normal weight before puberty.

I'm not talking the little bit of chub that you outgrow when you get taller, I'm talking seriously overweight to obese. I fall into that category. I have never, in my entire life, been able to lose so much as a pound without counting every bite that goes into my mouth. That's how I lost it in my teenaged years (I actually dieted myself into a virtual eating disorder by counting calories), that's how I lost it after the baby. In fact, the only time in my life I didn't have to count calories to maintain a normal bodyweight was my 20s, when I was a vegetarian. I got sick in my 30s with celiac (and lucky me, I got the more uncommon "fat" version), the weight piled on without my changing one thing in my life, and I've had the same round and round with the same XYZ pounds for 10+ years.

Unfortunately, as I get older it gets harder and harder to lose fat. Now, on the plus side, as long as my protein stays up and I lift, I hold/gain muscle very easily, but losing fat :bawling:

silverstar1025 said:
Wow you are a true inspiration!! You rock girl! I just wish I could see bigger pics of you. Sucks not being plat sometimes.

I will see if I can host some on photobucket for the non-plats, especially when I get more pics of my training buddy and some of the sexy Essex lads in the gym.

David Beckham style had a very pronounced influence in Essex, most of the lads have great hair and dress pretty funky, even in the gym

:)

Tatyana said:
I will see if I can host some on photobucket for the non-plats, especially when I get more pics of my training buddy and some of the sexy Essex lads in the gym.

David Beckham style had a very pronounced influence in Essex, most of the lads have great hair and dress pretty funky, even in the gym

I would love it if you did that! I cannot wait to see!

musclemom said:
Crap, Tatyana, I didn't mean this to become a rant I don't want to hijack your log ... but the diet/eating thing is a major issue for most of us and it only gets MORE frustrating as you get older!

Anyway, with all due respect to Mr. Faigin, I don't think intuitive eating works for everyone, and here's my caveat: People who were extremely overweight/obese before puberty have different metabolisms and just a general predisposition to being way fatter than people who were normal weight before puberty.

I'm not talking the little bit of chub that you outgrow when you get taller, I'm talking seriously overweight to obese. I fall into that category. I have never, in my entire life, been able to lose so much as a pound without counting every bite that goes into my mouth. That's how I lost it in my teenaged years (I actually dieted myself into a virtual eating disorder by counting calories), that's how I lost it after the baby. In fact, the only time in my life I didn't have to count calories to maintain a normal bodyweight was my 20s, when I was a vegetarian. I got sick in my 30s with celiac (and lucky me, I got the more uncommon "fat" version), the weight piled on without my changing one thing in my life, and I've had the same round and round with the same XYZ pounds for 10+ years.

Unfortunately, as I get older it gets harder and harder to lose fat. Now, on the plus side, as long as my protein stays up and I lift, I hold/gain muscle very easily, but losing fat :bawling:

Hijack away, makes things more interesting :)

I do know what you mean about the counting calories and macronutrients, I was shocked the first time I did it when I was about 20 and, as a veggie and thinking my diet was 'healthy' it was 40 % fat, and I don't mean the good type.

I do think if you haven't done this, it is essential, but I don't mean as in weight watchers stuff.

I have found that I am pretty good at eyeballing stuff now. It does make a difference, but I would like to take it to the next step if there is an easier way.

Ok, so my diet today (I must admit I was not as organised today as other days)

7:30 am

Oatmeal and whey protein

Total kcals 280
total carbs 26.5 g
total protein 30.8 g
total fat 6.1

10:00 am

Oatmeal and whey protein

Total kcals 280
total carbs 26.5 g
total protein 30.8 g
total fat 6.1

l keep two tubs of whey protein at work, choc and vanilla, and a jar of almond butter, barley malt (coffee replacement), soya milk and all sorts of herbal teas.

Supps
4 g fish oils
2 multi vitamins
Calcium, magnesium, zinc and copper

1:00 pm - 'Potatoe Salad'

100 g baby new potatoes
kcals 66
protein 1.4
carbs 15.4
fat 0.3

100 g egg whites
kcals 52
protein 10.9
carbs 0.7
fat 0.2

120 g cottage cheese
kcals 108
protein 16.5
carbs 4.4
fat 2.3

25 g radishes
kcals 4
protein 0.2
carbs 0.9
fat 0

25 g carrots
kcals 10
protein 0.2
carbs 2.4
fat 0.1

25 g green onion
kcals 8
protein 0.5
carbs 1.8
fat 0

Balsamic vinegar 20 g
Kcals 13
Protein 0
Carbs 2.7
Fat 0

Total kcals 261
Total protein 29.5 g
Carbs 28.3
Fat 5.8

Supps
4 g fish oils

4:30 pm (this was a bit of a 'naughty' meal cause I have had to bust my butt at work due to the locum we have in the lab right now). I had another meal of sprouted beans, brocolli with smoked tofu and a bit of vegan red pesto, but I fancied something SWEET :)

100 g tofu yogurt
20 g almond butter
35 g vanilla whey protein

Total kcals 262
protein 29.2 g
carbs 9.5 g
fat 12.8 g

15 g cocoa
Splenda
50 ml soya milk

Total kcals 44
protein 3 g
carbs 9.1 g
fat 2.7

Preworkout-6:30

40 g no-explode (trying it out finally)

kcals 60
Protein 0
carbs 14 g
fat 0

100 g tofu yogurt (again I would ususally eat something, but not as prepared today and I have about 30 min at home before I go to the gym)
35 g whey

total kcals 144
protein 25.4
carbs 8.5
fat 1.8

TRAIN- 7:00 pm

post workout 8:30 pm

25 g whey isolate

kcals 84
protein 20
carbs 1
fat 0

9:00 pm Ryvita
kcals 31
protein 0.9
carbs 6.6
fat 0,2 g

10 g manuka honey
kcals 31
protein 0.1
carbs 8
fat 0.1

9:30 pm

'potatoe salad' and about 100 g of brocolli sprouts (have no idea of macros)

Total kcals 261
Total protein 29.5 g
Carbs 28.3
Fat 5.8

11:30
THIS is normally when I will have my final meal, which is again tofu yogurt and micellar casein, soya protein powder and a wee bit of whey protein, all plain, unflavoured, with a touch of cinnamon.

total kcals 144
protein 25.4
carbs 8.5
fat 1.8

Sometimes with hazelnut butter, almond butter or natural peanut butter

Total kcals 262
protein 29.2 g
carbs 9.5 g
fat 12.8 g

Total calories 2000

As I have mentioned, I am not that concerned about the macro ratios right now. I know my protein is there, and I am eating more carbs.

On a comp diet, I would also work in the calories from the 8-12 g of fish oils I take in, which would be another 72 - 108 kcals.

I just need to know I am eating between the ranges of 1800 - 2300 for the next month or so.

Rep Range - BACK

One thing I haven't mentioned is that there is a tempo to this lifting:

2 seconds on the postive or negative (depends on the exercise)

1 second SQUEEZE on contraction

2 seconds on positive/negative

1 second full stretch

My training buddy is getting back into training, and I forgot how fab it is to train with someone, and he has been one of the best training partners I have had.

Close grip Chins

No weight x 8/7

Wide grip barbell rows - Olympic bar

40 kg/88 lbs x 13

45 kg/99 lbs x 11

Dumbell Single Rows

18 kg/40 lb x 13/12 on each arm

Pull overs (haven't done these in YEARS) - Dumbell

12 kg/26 lb x 18/20

BICEPS

Seated Alternating Dumbell Curls

12.5 kg/27.5 lb x 7/7 on each arm

Cable Curls

12 kg/26 lb x 14/11

Concentration curls

10 kg/22lbs x 15/15 on each arm

Abs

Crunches

4 sets of about 50 reps

STRETCH

My favourite carb

275 g of red lentils (think this is just over one cup)

Kcals 971
Protein 71 g
Carbs 165.3 g
Fat 3
Fibre 37.5 g

Active Carbs = Carbs - Fibre = 165.3 - 37.5 = 127.8 g

250 g onion (one large onion)

Kcals 90
Protein 3 g
Carbs 19.8 g
Fat 0.5
Fibre 3.5 g

Active carbs = 16.3 g

Celery 200 g - 4 sticks

Kcals 16
Protein 1 g
Carbs 1.6 g
Fat 0.6 g
Fibre 3.2 g

Carrot-grated 250 g - 3-4 medium sized carrots

Kcals 92.5
Protein 1.5 g
Carbs 20 g
Fat 0.8 g
Fibre 7 g

Active carbs = 13 g

400 g tinned tomatoes (1 tin)

Kcals 96
Protein 5.2 g
Carbs 16 g
Fat 0.4 g
Fibre 3.6 g

Active carbs = 12.4 g

500 g tomatoe passata

Kcals 160
Protein 5.6 g
Carbs 32 g
Fat 1 g
Fibre 5 g

Active carbs = 28 g

Tomato Paste 20 g (2 tablespoons)

Kcals 18.4
Protein 1 g
Carbs 3.6 g
Fat 0.2 g
Fibre 0.6 g

Active carbs = 3 g

Total
weight 1895 g
kcals 1443.9
Protein 88.3 g
Carbs 258.3 g
Fats 6.5 g

Saute onion and celery until soft in water or with 1 low salt stock cube

Add washed lentils-add tomato passata

cook until tender

Add tinned tomatoes and grated carrots

cook until carrots tender

add tomatoe paste

add thyme

Super YUM red lentil bolognese! Great with pasta (off season, add olive oil when you serve, or use sundried tomatoe paste instead). I do try to keep my oils away from any 'starchy carbs' as the current thought is that the carbs are stored as fat more readily, and when trying to strip all your body fat! Not ideal!

During comp season, this is one of my CARBS, but for veggies, it could be a PROTEIN

I am cooking this right now, I will weight the cooked final product to figure out how many grams will be good to fit into my diet.

I'm in lentil mode, too. Didn't use celery, threw thyme in then simmered with a bay leaf. Not bad but nothing to write home about. I ended up mixing the lentils with some cooked brown rice (I mix a couple of different varieties together and throw in some wild rice, jazzes up the texture) and cooked chicken, heating that up with some canned tomatoes and tossing the whole lot on top of a salad. I like the combination of hot sauce with cold greens, tricks me into forgetting there's no dressing on the salad.

I've always liked lentils served over pasta with butter (I have found a VERY tasty GF pasta, most people can't tell it isn't made from wheat) but OH the carbs. Great if I was a marathon runner :rolleyes:

Lentils are one of those foods I get massive cravings for.

I also get cravings for beet root, spinach, brocolli, cocoa powder or cacoa nibs.................

So done cooking and the final weight (weighed) is 1671 g

Total
weight 1895 g
kcals 1443.9
Protein 88.3 g
Carbs 258.3 g
Fats 6.5 g

I think I will divide it by 10, so each portion will be 144 kcals, 8.8 g protein, 26 g carbs (bummer no whole wheat spagetti with this one) and 0.7 g of fat.

This will be at least three of my meals over the next three days. I may double it next time and freeze a few.

I will also have about 80 g of grilled chicken breast and some mixed bean sprouts with it, like now, while I watch a strongman comp on telly.

Shoulders - Rep Range

WOO HOO, training buddy is starting to train on the weekends, Friday nights are out, and I am finding that the extra day recovery is essential right now.

I am really noticing a dull ache through my body, but especially through my hands are forearms.

I must admit, I had been stuck in a rut with my comp training, and it didn't do me any favours...........

I think this serious mix of training and extra carbs has made my arms start to go ROCK HARD again, I have also been really bang on with my pre and post nutrition, which was a bit lacking when on comp diet.

I think if I go the low carb route again for a comp diet, it is going to have to be a timed ketogenic diet, so I will take in carbs before and after training.

Single Arm Dumbell Presses - Seated

10 kg/22 lb x 20 (warm up)

18 kg/40 lb x 8/9 for each arm (OMG my left delt is not as strong as my right)

Wide Grip Cable Upright Row

18 kg/40 lb x 11/12

Bent over dumbell lateral raises

10 kg/22 lb x 20 (too light)

12 kg/ 26 lb x 15

Cable single lateral raises

7.5 kg/17 lb x 16/16 for each arm

I remember when I first starting doing cable laterals, one plate was almost impossible and I could do about 6 :). Shoulders are often a weaker bodypart for women, and I have fricking hammered mine.

Funny bodypart, I rarely have sore delts after training, and I also rarely get the 'burn', cable laterals do have this happen though.

ABS

Roman chair straight leg lifts

4 sets x around 20 reps

Decline bench rotating crunches

4 sets x 15-18 reps

My abs are defo one of my bodyparts I need to bring up, good thing my training buddy is an ab-meister.

Tatyana said:
About 10 weeks plus or minus a week........

I run 3 days low, one day high, or a re-feed.

I do mix it up a bit, based on how I am feeling, so I did run a three day high carbs.

I also make sure that I get in one day of much higher calories at least once a week, and this could be either high carbs or high fat.

One more week, me thinks, I have been reading that low carb diet can suppress thyroid function, so metabolic rate will decrease, which will not help with any fat burning.

if I'm not mistaken, I recall reading that the 3+1 (carbs or calories) or similar will avoid the thyroid downshift.

I can hold very low bodyfat % without getting lethargic/slow/low basal temp (indicating lowered thyroid function) by going heavy carb 2 or 3 times a week post workout.

btw taking ur basal temperature under your armpit immediately upon awakening is a good way to approximate whether ur thyroid is downregulating - if it begins to trend down, throw in a few more carbs

Top Bottom