Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tat's DON'T GET FAT offseason journal

Friday night did chest..........my training partner wasn't there so I did high reps

Incline Dumbell press

10 kg/22 lb x 20 reps

12 kg/26.4 lb x 20 reps x 3 sets

Incline Dumbell Fly

10 kg/22 lbs x 16/17/18 reps

Cybex Pec Dec Machine

15 kg/33 lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

I used to HATE doing chest, really like it now, and the weight I am using now is what I could only do in sets of 6-8 two years ago :)

Can't wait to see what I can do when I start going heavy next week

Today I did hamstrings, going to be the last time in awhile that I split my legs into 'fronts' and 'backs' and I am going to throw in an arm day

Smith machine lunges/single leg sets (not much clear space in my gym for walking lunges)

empty bar warm up 25 reps

10 kg/22 lbs x 25 reps

15 kg/33 lbs x 25 reps

20 kg/44 lb x 25 reps

Stiff leg dead lifts

No straps (working on building up my forearms and grip)

20 kg/22 lbs x 25 reps

40 kg/88 lb x 15 reps

Straps

40 kg/88 lbs x 20 reps

Lying leg curls-Hammerstrength plate loading machine

15 kg-side (30 kg total) 66 lbs x 16/17/17 reps

Single standing leg curls

10 kg/22 lbs x 10 rep-ish per leg (just went to failure as fast as possible and switched legs) x 3 sets

This journal is going to be interesting and a bit confronting.

When I am in the gym thinking, ok, had enough or ooooooh you can go a bit lighter today, I think, hmmmmmmm have to post what I have done, get your butt in gear.

:)

I am trying out my new/old training partner again, not sure if he is going to be reliable, so I may be pushing myself, which is always a bit more difficult.

Started POWER this week, I do love going heavy, but there is something about pushing legs really hard that I have to get myself psychologically ready.

Squats (free - Olympic bar - power rack)

100 kg/220lb x 3 (these were not good squats, not to parallel and I was in really BAD form on the last one which affected the rest of my squats)

90 kg/198lb x 6 (still not deep enough IMHO)

80 kg/176lbs x 6 (too light)

85 kg/187lbs x 7

85 kg/187lbs x 6

Leg Press - Cybex Plate loading machine - 45 degree

200 kg/440lb x 6

210kg/462 lb x 6/6/5

Leg extensions - Hammersmith plate loading machine

15kg per leg/33 lb x 4 (+ 1 rest-pause)/ 4 (+ 1 rest-pause)

Deadlifts - Olympic bar

70 kg/154 lb x 5/5/6

I also realised that as this is a 5 day split, doing legs on Monday will not be the best for the rest I will need between days, so I will change it to another day.

I have to start working out my off season diet, otherwise, week slides into another week, and before you know it, Christmas is here, and then it is all 'oh I will start in the New Year'.

This is what I use generally to work out my calories..................

To calculate your BMR based on lean body weight (Katch-McArdle Formula)

BMR (both sexes) = 370 + (21.6 x lean mass in kg)

THis will give you what your body requires for all of your basic biological processes, such as digestion, nerve transmission, respiration etc, or your basal metabolic rate.

NEVER DROP YOUR CALORIES BELOW THIS LEVEL!!!!!

To figure out how many calories you need for the day multiply your BMR by your activity levels

Sedentary BMR x 1.2 no exercise/desk job
Lightly active BMR x 1.375 light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week
Moderately active BMR x 1.55 moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week
Very active BMR x 1.725 hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/week
Extremely active BMR x 1.9 hard daily training/physical job or training 2x/day

To lose weight, obviously, you do need to burn more calories than you need!!
So, take about 10-20 % off of your total calorie requirements

My BMR

BMR (both sexes) = 370 + (21.6 x lean mass in kg)

I am going to work this out based on what I want to maintain at, which is about 63 kg and 16% bodyfat

To calculate my lean mass

63 kg x 0.16 (16%) = 10.1 kg of fat

63 kg - 10.1 kg of fat = 52.9 kg lean tissue/muscle + water

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 52.9 kg)
BMR = 1512.6 kcal/day rounded up to 1513 kcal/day

This is what physiologist have basically worked out to the best of their knowledge right now what my body would use just for all the basic housekeeping stuff.

To figure out how many calories I need because I am actually moving around and training, I am going to multiply my BMR by the 'moderate' activity as my new split is a 5 day one, and I will probably do cardio on 3-4 of those days.

1513 kcals/day x 1.55 (moderate activity) = 2345 kcal/day

I will eat at least 6 times a day, and I like to have a few 'spare calories' for snacks in case I am hungry, so I divide my total calories by 7

I will do both calculations just so I have an idea of the range of calories I can eat.

2345 kcals/day divided by 7 = 335 kcals per meal

2345 kcals/day divided by 6 = 390 kcals per meal

Most of the meals I have worked out so far from dieting are between 250-300 kcals, so not a lot of change will be required, besides more carbs.

I also plan out my macronutrient ratios of carbs/protein/fat

My meals will either have one of the two ratios:

40- 45 % protein/ 35-40 % carbs / 15-20 % fat

35 - 40 % protein / 35 - 45 % fat / 10 - 20 % carbs

If I carb taper, then my first three to four meals of the day will be the first ratio with the higher carbs, and the last meals of the day will be lower carbs.

I am also thinking that I might do something like a timed keto diet, so my meals with carbs will be just before I train and just after..........with low carbs on non - training days, and a high carb day once a week (probably the day before legs)

I am going to talk to my new coach this Sunday, I have worked out all my diet and training more or less on my own so far, it is going to be great to be able to get some feedback.

I will work out the amount of macronutrients in grams I will be eating in the next post.

Thanks hun,

So this week I am not being super accurate with my meals and knowing exactly what I am eating, however, I have been adding in more carbs.

I am doing what I would call a timed ketogenic diet.

My carbs are low for my first four meals of the day, and then meal 5 (before training), and meal 6 (after training) are high carb meals. I do have a protien shake immediately after training, whey isolate, as it can spike insulin without any extra carbs (I think I will also start doing some BCAAs post training).

Meal 7 is just before bed, low carb again to maximise gh - growth hormone (somatropin) - release when I sleep.

Meal One - Brekkie

100 g of tofu yogurt

20 g natural peanut butter or hazelnut butter or almond butter

35 g whey protein (vanilla mostly)

Meal Two - mid-morning

80 g of chicken or smoked tofu with seeds

100-150 g of mixed live sprouts (beans, radish, lentils) I so have a major addiction for these right now, have to start growing more of my own)

10 g of sunflower, sesame seeds and pumpkins seeds (either roast my own from raw or use Food Doctor ones)

20 g of Meridian Red Pesto (dairy and wheat free)

- this is a bit of a NO-NO on a keto diet as tomatoes are fruit, but as I said, this week is a bit of a relax and intro back into carbs

Meal Three - lunch (this one is GREAT cause it can pack small, doesn't need a utensil, can eat it 'on the run' if I have to do lunchtime errands)

100 - 150 g of celery sticks

20 g of almond or peanut butter

80 g of chicken breast (grilled)

Meal Four - mid afternoon

Same as breakfast

OR

200 g steamed veggies
80 g chicken breast
10 ml of olive oil with herbs and some vineagar
OR 20 g of tahini (especially YUM on brocolli)

Meal 5 - pre-training

250 g of butternut squash curry (also has green beans, baby new potatoes and some tomatoes in it, with LOADS of tumeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala)

80 g chicken breast

I have about two more meals of this curry, next I am making chicken and leek stew, another one of my favs................

WORK OUT

30 g whey isolate shake

Meal 6 - post training

Same as Meal 5, I often have one or two Ryvitas or rice cakes just before I eat this

Meal 7 - before bed

Same as breakkie usually, just modify my whey protien to a combo of whey, micellar casein and soya protein powder, all plain, unflavoured and no sweetner (I do add some splenda on occasion)

OR

100 g of tuna or steak
100 g of steamed brocolli/spinach/cauliflower/asparagus
10 g toasted sesame seed oil or omega oil
A few sprits of Dr. Braggs liquid aminos or some shoyu or tamari or umeboshi

I was veggie for a long time before I got into bodybuilding, and I was really into macrobiotics for ages, it really shaped the way I ate, and I came into BBing with a good foundation of diet basics.

I do want to incorporate more whole 'grains' into my diet, especially quinoa I have had major cravings for lately. I think it is acutually a seed.........

Tat-
great thread.

seriously, the guys over on the A A S board would greatly benefit from reading this.

best of luck with hitting your various goals

Got a recipe for the Bnut squash curry? I have some bnut squash I want to do something creative with....

Glad to hear you're adding some carbs back in!!!

Are you a bit sleepy or sluggish before/during training?

If I was low carb as long as you were, I know my body wouldn't shift right back into using carbs as an immediate energy source, and the insulin spike from that preworkout meal would send me into a coma.

You may tolerate them better than I do after that kind of diet, though. I know for me, when adding carbs back in, I have to start with M1, PWO, and then M1, PWO and PWO2, and eventually start putting them all over the board.

Mandy Polk said:
Glad to hear you're adding some carbs back in!!!

Are you a bit sleepy or sluggish before/during training?

If I was low carb as long as you were, I know my body wouldn't shift right back into using carbs as an immediate energy source, and the insulin spike from that preworkout meal would send me into a coma.

You may tolerate them better than I do after that kind of diet, though. I know for me, when adding carbs back in, I have to start with M1, PWO, and then M1, PWO and PWO2, and eventually start putting them all over the board.

Meal one will go back in next week, so oats........

My carbs are from high carb yet low GI veggies, and I do think I tolerate them quite well.

I like your idea, I think far too many BBers come off a comp diet and straight back into eating a 'normal' diet.

Best bit of advice my last coach gave me, on and off season diet are not that different (she never had me do low carbs - said no energy for training), it is just that you eat a bit more of it in the off season.

That rebound of 10 -20 lbs in a week or two, NO THANKS

Top Bottom