Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

someone trying to convince me that protein should be eaten 45 min- hour after workout

Grim Divinity

Hello, someone I work with is trying to convince me that protein should be eaten 45 min- hour after workout instead of right after for optimum muscle building. This is contrary to everything I have ever heard about post workout nutrition. Can someone explain to me scientifically why you should intake protein as soon as possible so I can show him? Unless I am wrong

Providing the workout was not too long in duration or intensity, thus causing catabolic hormones such as cortisol to be released, natural growth hormone levels will increase up to 60 minutes after exercise. The last thing you want to do is shut down this natural 'anabolic' release of growth hormone by stuffing your face with food.

Secondly, the hormonal surge that happens in a body that has gone under moderate stress (working out) is beneficial to fatloss. This is known as "riding the hormonal wave". Expecially important after a session of cardio. Eating right after a workout replenishes carbohydrate stores if carbodydrates are consumed, but it shuts down the release of anabolic hormones. Insulin is the trigger.

To take advantage of natural growth hormone release, wait a minimum of 40 minutes, then have a protein shake. This will curb growth hormone release, but not shut it down. A carbohydrate beverage will surely shut growth hormone down, and fill glycogen stores instead. Thus for optimum fatloss you should consume easily digestible protein (shake). For energy, consume carbodydrates.

The best method for both fatloss and muscle growth is consuming a protein drink 40-60 minute after your session, followed by a carbohydrate meal 2 hours afterwards. This allows you to maximize growh hormone and fill glycogen stores. If you're following a ketogenic diet, then obviously your either going to skip on the carbohydrate meal or opt for a small portion of low glycemic carbodhydrate or a larger portion of fiberous carbodhydrate. (note: fiber is non digestible, and not stored by the body)

Hope that answers you question.

Last edited:
sure does!! Looks like I was wrong. Figures :(

Its seems weird that most people even a lot of the pro BB have protein drinks as soon as they are finished... what gives.

Pro bodybuilders aren't too concerned with increasing natural growth hormone and testosterone levels when they are taking synthetic derivatives of the exact same thing. i.e Steroids, HGH. Towards contest time, however, you'll find that many of them use more of a scientific approach as I previously mentioned.

I too use to wait an hour after my workout to have my postworkout shake. Then, I started having one postworkout and for some odd reason I started growing:confused: Those giant meatheads at the gym must not understand this science too well. Do yourself a favor and read up on some of Charles Poliquins work, or any other respected strength training coach, you'll see that they advise eating immediatley after a bodybuilding workout for best gains.

Makes no sense. Post-workout, you'd want to stop catabolism as quickly as possible and take advantage of the testosterone increase, etc., and the current depleted state of the muscles to supersaturate them, hence the high GI carbs and fast-digesting protein.

Growth hormone is primarily released during sleep, not post-workout, so I don't see why you should hold off and allow catabolism to continue while you wait for "growth hormone" to do its work.......

Catabolism increases as the workout duration increases. Scientific evidence shows that after roughly 60 minutes of intense exercise, cortisol levels in the body rise drastically, and when cortisol levels rise, growth hormone declines. It's a fallacy that Growth Hormone is only released when you sleep. I had previously thought the same, however reading 3 detailed books on the subject, evidence shows that this is indeed true. Growth hormone is released in very small amounts throughout the day, depending on the state of the hormones in your body.

Evidence also shows that natural growth hormone levels are supressed if carbohydrates are consumed immediately after a intense workout - sure they replenish glycogen, but your hormonal state is altered.

The catabolic release of cortisol can be diminished significantly be keeping workout duration to a minimum - especially if intensity is high. Evidence shows that streneous exercise longer than 1 hour increases catabolic hormones drastically; Thus if you insist on the "longer is better" philosophy, then you might want to have that carbodydrate beverage, because your growth hormone levels are taking a nosedive anyway.

The post workout growth hormone spike is less important than replenishing glycogen and ATP. Growth hormone in itself cannot build muscle, there has to be material for growth.

After a workout glycogen, ATP, and PC (phosphocreatine) are depleted. In order for protein synthesis to occur optimally sufficient ATP and specific enzymes must be present in the muscle (glycogen provides some of the ATP which provides the energy necessary for protein synthesis). Each set you do depletes intramuscular ATP, glycogen and enzyme levels - this depletion inhibits growth.

Prolonging gylcogen depletion in *hopes* of spiking GH is not very wise.

Consume your post workout meal immediately after training.

Growth hormone in itself cannot build muscle

Care to make a wager on that? ;)

I can assure you that growth hormone is the most important hormone in the body, affecting numerous metabolic and psychological processes in the human body. I'm going to assume I misinterpreted you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom