Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to forum

Rebecca D

Elite mentor
I posted this on the "welcome newbies" page but I thought I might get better response as a new thread. New to internet and this forum so slow at figuring this out. (I'm still living in 1985). Any advice (especially from other women) would be appreciated.

Rebecca D

NEWBIE looking for workout advice and support. Have worked out for at past 12 years. 39 years old and mother of 3 (10, 8, 2). Started lifting heavy (for me) with my husband five years ago. I get in moods where I do bodypump classes and light weights with high reps, but I always return to the heavier weight.
Stats: 5'5", 123lbs, estimate about 18% bodyfat.
Goals: I want to add muscle size and strength, but not fat. Current lifts are: Squat 160lbs for 5 reps, curl 60lbs for 5 reps, and bench 100lbs for 5 reps. (Strong lower body but weak upper body. My arms are currently 11 3/4 inches and I want 12+ inch arms so bad but I have hit a plateau.
Training: I train 5 days a week. M=Back, T=Chest, W=Legs, Th=off, Fri=Arms, Sat=Shoulders, Sun=Off. I do cardio for 30-60 minutes 3-4 days a week.
Diet: I eat a pretty good diet. I am a housewife so it is easier, but having 3 kids makes up for that. I consume about 120 grams of protein/day and eat healthy. (Love my veggies). Typical day. Meal 1-Protein shake with skim milk, frozen blueberries and a little peanut butter. Meal 2 is after I workout and is usually a premade protein drink with water. Meal 3 is around 1:00 and is spinach salad with tuna (can) and brocolli. Meal 4 is after a nap around 3:30-4:00. Usually an apple with peanut butter or red grapes and cottage cheese or almonds and an apple. Meal 5 is supper and is where I get creative to include veggies in the kids diet. Usually a lean beef or chicken and salad with brown rice. Might make a cheese sauce with lowfat cheese and cauliflower in the blender. Meal 6 is more of a snack around 8:00 and might be almonds or a serving of soy chips. (I love oysters and might eat smoked oysters as my protein for a snack. Cautious about the fat though).

Vices-a glass of red wine now and then, beer and pizza or chicken wings probably one night on the weekend, and dark chocolate I keep hidden from my husband.

Supplements: Take a multivitamin and flaxseed. Before workout I take Saturn Rush--good buzz, average pump feeling. Will drink creatine and glutamine in grape juice after workouts.

I guess my question is what do I need to do to take it up a notch. I would love to squat 185 five times. I would love to bench 115 five times and max 135. I would love to curl 60-70lbs 10 times. I would also like to do 10 pullups unassisted. (currently 4-5). Are these unrealistic goals for my age and size? What natural supplementation would get me there. (Not ready for roids). Example...a girl at the gym was using ZMA and Tribulus....waste of time or worth researching? Another guy suggested 6 oxo, but is that a good choice for a women? Not ready to try any of these yet, just looking for information. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my body, just always looking to improve strength and size?

Rebecca D

Hi and welcome.

Love it you have goals in mind for what you want to lift, I do too.

As long as it is intense for you you will still build muscle, whatever the weight.

Have you ever switched up to a high volume routine?

High reps are great for triggering mitochondrial and capillary growth and laying the foundations for more muscle/strength increases.

Tatyana said:
Hi and welcome.

Love it you have goals in mind for what you want to lift, I do too.

As long as it is intense for you you will still build muscle, whatever the weight.

Have you ever switched up to a high volume routine?

High reps are great for triggering mitochondrial and capillary growth and laying the foundations for more muscle/strength increases.

Hi Tatyana--interesting name

Every now and then I'll do 10 sets of 10 reps of Squats or Bench or Pulldowns. It is usually for one workout and only for one bodypart. I've never done high volume for an extended period. I will switch to the bodypump class for 2-3 weeks when I get a little blah about lifting. This seems to help at least mentaly.

What would you suggest? I've started an 8 week workout that goes through April, but I would be willing to try something different after that.

Rebecca D

hello and welcome to EF:wavey:

Top Bottom