Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to forum

Welcome to EF - you'll love it here!

Tatyana said:
Hi and welcome.

Love it you have goals in mind for what you want to lift, I do too.

As long as it is intense for you you will still build muscle, whatever the weight.

Have you ever switched up to a high volume routine?

High reps are great for triggering mitochondrial and capillary growth and laying the foundations for more muscle/strength increases.

Just got back from spring break and it was nice to see all the "welcome" reply's. I decided to measure myself and I was excited to learn that my biceps were actually 12 inches flexed(cold). I looked back at past measurements and my biceps were 10 inches flexed in 1999, 11 inches flexed in 2002 and 11.5 inches flexed in 2004. I now want 12.5 inch biceps.

As for the suggestion to switch to a high volume routine, I plan on trying it starting in May. I am currently working toward a personal best in the squat by the end of April. (Best is 185 for 3 reps...goal is 185 for 5 reps).

My real question though is how can I up my testosterone without steriods. I lift regularly and have really improved my diet the past couple of months, but what supplements could help. Would appreciate any advice. (ZMA? Tribulus? OXO-6,????) I would also like opinions of people who think these are garbage.

Rebecca D

Rebecca D said:
Just got back from spring break and it was nice to see all the "welcome" reply's. I decided to measure myself and I was excited to learn that my biceps were actually 12 inches flexed(cold). I looked back at past measurements and my biceps were 10 inches flexed in 1999, 11 inches flexed in 2002 and 11.5 inches flexed in 2004. I now want 12.5 inch biceps.

As for the suggestion to switch to a high volume routine, I plan on trying it starting in May. I am currently working toward a personal best in the squat by the end of April. (Best is 185 for 3 reps...goal is 185 for 5 reps).

My real question though is how can I up my testosterone without steriods. I lift regularly and have really improved my diet the past couple of months, but what supplements could help. Would appreciate any advice. (ZMA? Tribulus? OXO-6,????) I would also like opinions of people who think these are garbage.

Rebecca D

Measurements are such a good way to track yourself, I also take measurements at least once a year.

ZMA- really, I think taking magnesium and zinc as a woman, either separately or as a decent multi-mineral (or even mult-vit/mineral) is probably sufficient.

If I remember correctly, the A is just some essential fatty acid.

Tribulus, highly debatable even to work in men, some say it depends on the quality of the herb, so in women????

I have no idea what 6-OXO is.

What I would like to address is that people think that testosterone is the only thing, best thing etc. that will enhance muscle growth.

It isn't.

There was an interesting article in last month's Muscular Development, April 08 (the one with Evan Centopani on the cover) that had an interesting bit of older research in it.

The whole article was about time under tension being necessary for muscle hypertrophy.

In the 70s some scientists used lab rats and removed the following endocrine glands, the thyroid, testicles, pituitary (growth hormone is secreted from here) or they didn't feed them, and then basically put the rat's rear legs under tension/simulated weight training.

They had postulated that muscle would not grow with out these hormones.

They found out they were wrong.

Now it is postulated that there are some other signalling pathways such as mTOR or MGF (mechano growth factor).

Oestrogen is also anabolic in women, and I would have to see if I can find it again, but there is some sort of connection between growth hormone and oestrogen.

Also the lads have found that when they use oestrogen inhibitors when they do a cycle, their gains are inhibited.

My point, while testosterone is anabolic, there are other things going on as well.

The endocrine system is really complicated, quite amazing really, and the exact mechanism of muscle hypertrophy is not known.

It may even be discovered that it is different in men than women.

It may just be twigging dietary and training factors, and some supps that will make the difference.

I would suggest you focus more on triggering natural growth hormone release, rather than trying to increase your testosterone levels.

Tatyana said:
Measurements are such a good way to track yourself, I also take measurements at least once a year.

ZMA- really, I think taking magnesium and zinc as a woman, either separately or as a decent multi-mineral (or even mult-vit/mineral) is probably sufficient.

If I remember correctly, the A is just some essential fatty acid.

Tribulus, highly debatable even to work in men, some say it depends on the quality of the herb, so in women????

I have no idea what 6-OXO is.

What I would like to address is that people think that testosterone is the only thing, best thing etc. that will enhance muscle growth.

It isn't.

There was an interesting article in last month's Muscular Development, April 08 (the one with Evan Centopani on the cover) that had an interesting bit of older research in it.

The whole article was about time under tension being necessary for muscle hypertrophy.

In the 70s some scientists used lab rats and removed the following endocrine glands, the thyroid, testicles, pituitary (growth hormone is secreted from here) or they didn't feed them, and then basically put the rat's rear legs under tension/simulated weight training.

They had postulated that muscle would not grow with out these hormones.

They found out they were wrong.

Now it is postulated that there are some other signalling pathways such as mTOR or MGF (mechano growth factor).

Oestrogen is also anabolic in women, and I would have to see if I can find it again, but there is some sort of connection between growth hormone and oestrogen.

Also the lads have found that when they use oestrogen inhibitors when they do a cycle, their gains are inhibited.

My point, while testosterone is anabolic, there are other things going on as well.

The endocrine system is really complicated, quite amazing really, and the exact mechanism of muscle hypertrophy is not known.

It may even be discovered that it is different in men than women.

It may just be twigging dietary and training factors, and some supps that will make the difference.

I would suggest you focus more on triggering natural growth hormone release, rather than trying to increase your testosterone levels.

Very helpful answer,

I've purchased some ZMA and tribulus so I am going to give them a try. I agree with you and don't think I need to do anything else. I'm not a competitor, just a housewife trying to look my best. I have become a little obsesed with my arms though. (a little jealous of yours). I'll continue to tweek my training and work on my diet. (I'm doing better and better with my diet).

As for oxo-6, my husband says it is an estrogen blocker....sounds iffy for women if you ask me.

Thanks,

Rebecca D

Rebecca D said:
Very helpful answer,

I've purchased some ZMA and tribulus so I am going to give them a try. I agree with you and don't think I need to do anything else. I'm not a competitor, just a housewife trying to look my best. I have become a little obsesed with my arms though. (a little jealous of yours). I'll continue to tweek my training and work on my diet. (I'm doing better and better with my diet).

As for oxo-6, my husband says it is an estrogen blocker....sounds iffy for women if you ask me.

Thanks,

Rebecca D

Secret to big arms - the big power moves, squats and deadlifts

Also, as the tricep makes up the larger bulk of the upper arm, bigger triceps, much nicer arms.

Tatyana said:
Secret to big arms - the big power moves, squats and deadlifts

Also, as the tricep makes up the larger bulk of the upper arm, bigger triceps, much nicer arms.

Now you are starting to sound like my husband. I started deadlifts for the first time last month. Doing good with squat as well. What are the best tricep exercises? Currently doing standard skull crushers, cable pushdowns, and DB kickbacks.

Rebecca D

Rebecca D said:
Now you are starting to sound like my husband. I started deadlifts for the first time last month. Doing good with squat as well. What are the best tricep exercises? Currently doing standard skull crushers, cable pushdowns, and DB kickbacks.

Rebecca D

Dips are also great.

Your triceps will also get worked with chest.

I don't train triceps with chest, I find that on my heavy weeks they are just too knackered to push any weight.

Tell you hubby he is a clever cookie :)

Top Bottom