Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My Approach to Training. Please Critique!

PickMe69

I like to pride myself on not being a typical trainer with my clients. I go for less of that "lets get that killer "pump" workout" approach and actually try to develop results in my clients. For example, I have one mid 50's 80% blind gentleman with whom I have on a variation of a 5x5 routine. I work with him 3xs a week correcting even the smallest details in form, pushing him, keeping track of how much weight he is progressing and altering workouts and weight goals as we go, giving him advice on what cardio he should be performing and nutrional advice. I typically only charge him for an hour even though many times we usually go to around 1.5 hours, but that's because I want to give him adequete rest between these very large compound lifts. In the last 2 months he has gone up 60-70 pounds on squats and deads, and 25 pounds on bench and seen other significant increases in barbell press and rows. I'm new to personal training, but I believe in this technique and it seems to be working and the few clients I have enjoy it, though it is pretty hard to market as most people don't understand the differences between "pump" workouts and real atheletic training. What do you guys think about my approach?

From what you have written, its hard for me to see exactly what your approach is. You correct form, push him, keep track of progress, alter workouts, give advice on cardio. I would hope every trainer does that.

I agree its not all about the pump, but I think a lot of people pay trainers not so much for their innovative work outs, but to be pushed to an intensity they don't reach when training alone.

But what you do depends on who you are training. The guy you describe might not be looking to pump until he pukes, but another guy might be looking exactly for that.

I stress large compound lifts such as bench, squat and deads as to begin developing a more powerful core, then I work into more explosive lifts with younger clients and clients who can handle that type of lifting at more advanced ages, but usually with older clients I'll stay on compound lifts for quite some time then start adding more peripheral lifts.

5x5 variations meaning...

5 reps could be 4TUT or 100TUT. you should really specify and discuss what the approach is on a scale of nervous system prep / strength / hyp / endurance, in order to properly meet your client's needs.

and what are your exact thoughts on "athletic training"?

I think the pride you feel is from beginning to develop your conscious approach to training versus embracing the supermaxhardcore body statue mentality. There is nothing wrong with seeing yourself as a different kind of trainer and pursuing your craft with the intent to improve the profession as a whole. Develop your skills around the quality of human movement, athleticism, and personal relationships and not on the 12 rep max or whatever fragment of training science is currently marketed as "the way."

Last edited:
Top Bottom