Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

i SUCK at maxing, need some advice

clean265

hey everyone,
this week for my football team is max week. I am doing terrible. Throughout the spring, we've followed a program where we estimate a one rep max, and find out our weights for our sets on a poundage chart. If we get all of our sets successfully, we move up our 1RM for the next time we do that lift. Anyway, so far I haven't hit any of my "maxes" and I am doing especially shitty on bench. Yesterday I flat benched 255 with barely a struggle, yet I couldnt do 260. And today I inclined 225 with no problem (my coach thought I'd be able to hit 245 after seeing me) but I couldnt get 230. Anyone ever have problems like this? I've been warming up for my maxes with 5 reps of what I usually do for 10, then 3 reps of what I usually do for 5, then keep doing single reps until I can't get any higher. But there is like an invisible wall I can't get past. I am desperate for any advice because I still have hang clean, squat, and bench reps of 225; which are 3 of the most important lifts, and I can't fuck up on them. Thanks.

Where do you feel like you are losing your lift?Getting past the sticking point?Just getting off the rack?
Try a few things that have helped me(and my 16 year-old defensive lineman)-
First,get yourself some small plates-like 2 1/2 pounders.I know you want to throw the big plates,but when you are training past a sticking point,you have to take baby steps sometimes.go up by 5's,instead of 15,for fewer reps,if you are looking for a bigger 1RM.
you might also try some negatives,with a spotter,using the following timing of your reps...like 2-1-4 or 2-0-4...two counts up,either with or without a pause,and 4 counts down.Go a bit lighter.These assist with neuromuscular adaptation,which is the key behind sticking points and progress.Always use a spotter,because these will kill you if you do them right.
Another thing that has helped me are rapid rep sets,focusing on pushing as fast and forcefully as I can with about 60% of my 1 rep max...again,adaptation.Gradually up the weight on these babies,too.
The problem I've seen with high school weight training programs(don't kill me,coaches)..is they focus on the big three-squats,cleans,bench-which is good,but not the processes to get there.My son almost screwed up his rotator cuff because the coach just told him to pack on the weights,even though it was obvious my son wasn't ready to handle it.He's applied some of the above processes,plus a rotator cuff program at home,and his bench has gone from 225 to 300 in one year.Hope this helps some.

When you get up to the single reps, are you resting at least 4 minutes between sets?

What high school do you go to?

What you are doing for a warm up prior to your max sounds like the proper way to do it, but I have better success with doing 135 for 20,for 2 sets, then 225 for 6, for 1 set, then if I was looking to bench 315 for my max, I would load that on the bar, and just hold that weight at full extention for 5 seconds, then rack it, then rest 3-4 minutes, then do the lift.

The reason that I just hold the weight the first time, is to get my muscles ready for a heavy weight, but not fatigue them with actually pushing the weight.

If you arent resting at least 4 minutes between max sets, try that, it should do the trick.

Also like w8 said, negatives kick ass for improving your bench.

I maxed out on bench last night. Here is what I did exactly. I do use a 2" bar though...

Slight stretching for about 2-4 minutes
2 sets of rotator cuff exercises.
Clean & press with bar only, 5 reps
Cable press downs- 1 set of 30, very light weight (10lbs)

Flat Bench
bar x 20 reps
135 x 10
225 x 5
317 x 2
345 x 1
365 x 1
387 x 1
420.5 x 1

Incline bench
356 x 1
317 x 2
295 x 2

Keep it simple. Do sets of singles. It will take a few workouts of doing singles before you reach your optimal max...but keep working. Do about the same thing every week, because if you add an extra set...it will affect your max.

Why do inclines the day after flat? Your chest and shoulders will be taxed from the flat workout so you will not perform well on the incline. Do them on the same day.

Take at least 3 minutes rest between sets. Stay warm, I usually wear 3-5 shirts to stay warm. Take all the rest you need, but don't lose focus, too much rest sometimes lets me relax too much. Don't talk to anyone.

Remember that technique is the majority of a bench press being efficient. It is a tric movt, with a strong arch, feet planted, timed movt, perfect breathing, etc... There is a lot to do to have a good bench, as I am quickly learning and improving.

B True

thanks

hey all
thanks for the advice. i think my problem was that I wasn't getting nearly enough rest between reps, and i was also trying to jump up in too big increments. wednesday i went back to do cleans, and i power cleaned 260 (5 short of my goal, but best ive ever done) and hang cleaned 260, which is about 35 pounds more than ive ever maxed at. i was in the groove that day. and when i was benching i was completely not in the groove. anyway, thanksa for all the help.

my advice is not to get too hype before you lift. I have bombed a many of max due to getting too intense both mentally and with the help of e/c/a, I simply ware myself out and dont have the energy to perform my best. be confident in yourself and just do the weight.

you need to warm up more....start out with the bar ( I know this sounds crazy and you'll look like a pussy, but do the reps slow so you can stretch). I can't stress it enough, stretching is very important. then add a little wait, it's up to you how much, and do 15 reps. Add a little more and do 10 reps. A little more and do 4-6 reps, then you should be good and warm. When you reach your 1 rep max. , try to get your adrenaline good and high, YOU HAVE TO GET PUMPED!!!!

It sounds like it is more in yur head than anything. If you are blowing up 225 like a joke and can't hit 230, then it's in your head.

Top Bottom