Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dposey's Rippetoe Journal

Thanks, I've definitely spent a lot of time reading up on it. :)

Looks like I'm good to go then, I'll keep you guys posted in this thread and I'll make another once I start the SF 5x5.

Wednesday 3/1/06 - Week 3 - Day 2
Workout B

Squats:
Bar x Warm-up
95 x 5
115 x 3
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
Just did light squats today and it felt great not to be struggling on almost every rep.

Push Press:
Bar x Warm-up
65 x 5
90 x 5
90 x 5
90 x 5
Push press went well, continues to climb.

Chin-ups:
BW x 5
BW x 4
BW x 4
BW x 1 (Pull-up)
This surprised me. I decided to try and see if I could do chin-ups and went with an underhand grip rather than an overhand. To my astonishment, I was able to get 5 full reps with my own body weight! The next set I almost got 5 but just couldn't get the top one, and the third I was done after 4. I tried one last set with an overhand grip and was still able to get one. I'm really happy with this, I think I'll stick to underhand chins for my SF 5x5.

Weighted Hyperextensions:
BW+35 x 8
BW+35 x 8
BW+35 x 8

Needsize Crunches:
BW+20 x 5 x 5

Comments:
Good workout today, my push press is climbing still and I'm ecstatic about the chin-ups. I'm finally machine free, and it feels so good!

Underhand chinups is the way to go. When you do them underhand, you give the biceps the best line of pull. The lats are also maximally recruited as a shoulder extensor when you do chinups, as opposed to the pullup.

When you get strong enough to do sets of 12-15 with underhand chinups with bodyweight, you may want to try pullups for the hell of it. The lats can be recruited as a shoulder extensor and something else (can't recall right now). This may be optimal for full lat development. Honestly though, I'm probably splitting hairs. Get stronger in a hypertropic rep range, and you'll be big. That's it.

That's good to know. I've heard mixed feelings about underhand chins, but I'm glad to hear that they're ok to do. My lats are a bit sore as well, so that's good. Getting psyched for this 5x5. :)

Top Bottom