Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

d.y. rows?

canumaso

new guy here, please take it easy on me. i've been getting back into working out after a 3 year hiatus after an injury. my standard back routine has been pull ups (alternating close and wide grip on different days), bent over db rows, iso-lat hammerstrength low rows and then i finish by obliterating myself with cable rows until i can't do anymore.

last week i joined a new gym, which has a lot more variety of equipment, but it does not have a low row machine. it does have a iso d.y. row which uses an underhand grip but feels like a somewhat similar motion as the low row, but after using it with the same weight i'd do for low row, i ended up hurting my neck. nothing serious, but i'm a little hesitant to use that machine again. does anyone know if d.y. row is a good replacement for low rows or if there are any other substitutes you would recoemmend, keeping in mind i'm trying to avoid another injury?

To be honest the low rows probably weren't doing all that much for you...I'd stick with the DB and barbell movements and ditch the machines entirely.

Wow, I have to agree with Mr Iweaver. Almost every gym you go to has free weights (The bodybuilder in the 40's and 50's used them a lot) so if you learn how to use them you will be set. A general rule I use for a new machine or exercise is to figure out how much weight I think I can lift and add half that amount. Its easier to add weight than it is to add a Dr.s appointment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I generally don't do heavy weights as I am prone to injury, I try to stick with moderate weights and a lot of reps. I guess I've always reasoned that machines would reduce the chance of injury since the offer a controled movement, but if its not doing anything for me than what's the point. I'll try to introduce some barbell exercises into my routine. Thanks again for the advice. Hope everyone is having a happy holiday.

If you are prone to injury then do what you can without injuring yourself. Machines have their place in muscle development and so do free weights. Im not saying machines are better but if your prone to injury then they would be safer to use if your using moderate weight. Just be sure to mix it up, one workout free weights and one workout free weights/machines.

Top Bottom