Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Back squat vs. front squat - thoughts?

nefertiti

Memeber
Elite Moderator
I've officially fallen back in love with squatting after ditching it from my routine years ago in favor of split leg squats and lunges. I went heavy last night and hit 135 (just for one set, the others were 95 and 115, then another 95 after the set of 135) for the first time in five years, and holy hell I forgot how awesome it made my quads feel!

Anyhoo, as I continue to hone in on my back squat (I'm still kinda mentally timid about it, and afraid to break parallel), I was thinking that once I got that squared away, I might incorporate front squats on leg days too.

Thoughts? Do front squats hit the quads and glutes in a different enough manner to go through the routine of learning a new form and motion?

Front squats are quad dominant, as exercises go, they have their place.

Welcome to EF, hang out and stay a while ;)

I'm aware of them hitting the quads more. I'm not really sure what I'm asking. Will incorporating them make a difference? I'm not really explainging myself well, here.

It allows ur core to be involved alot more for those new or absent from utilizing them for sometime. As the forward lean somtimes surprises some. It will also transition ur back squat into a more erect posture for those or should I say eyes to the sky approach.

And thank u for the nice gesture. I find they take a nice break from lunges. New exercises as U are aware of and rotating sets reps exercises give ur body something new keeping it always in a state of growth

I too have returned to squats. By far my favorite exercises, now. I have a longer leg to torso ratio so I could never get them where I wanted. Front squats were just too difficult...hated them. As a result my legs would not grow compared to my upper body. Last year I was determined to change that so I completely relearn to squat. I used to use a bar pad...I learned to support the bar lower on my traps and spread my arms to rest the bar on my delts...amazing how much better my form was, kept me more upright. I dropped back on weight and learned to break parallel...and I got a lifting belt. I am now back up in weights on both my back and front squats. I use squats on both my quad day and hamm day. Quad day consists of heel elevated back squats and front squats. Hamm/glute day is low wide squats with emphasis on keeping my butt back and really targeting my glutes. I'll usually start with a high rep set of leg curls to get the blood pumping in my hamms to create a stable platform in which to squat. Since adding these to my leg days I have seen some great changes.

I'm a big fan of front squats! I just started doing them about three months ago, and I'm seeing very good quad development, namely the tear-drop shape by my knees. It has also helped me to squat lower in general, since I think front squats are easier to go lower with. The motion may have carried over to my back squats. Weirdly enough, I also find them more comfortable than back squats. I just feel like good form is easier to maintain with fronts.

New here...so hello!

I love front squats. I found they did alot to help improve the depth of my back squats and improved core. They're not difficult to learn, although you do have to deload a bit to learn the movement. I train legs 2x a week and front squats have a perm spot on my quad focus leg day.

funny, I ditched squats almost entirely lately because they make my waist thick as hell...

lotta lunges (of about twenty different varieties) and a whole lotta smith machine donkey kicks have started to consume my leg day

I'm a big fan of front squats! I just started doing them about three months ago, and I'm seeing very good quad development, namely the tear-drop shape by my knees. It has also helped me to squat lower in general, since I think front squats are easier to go lower with. The motion may have carried over to my back squats. Weirdly enough, I also find them more comfortable than back squats. I just feel like good form is easier to maintain with fronts.

Helping me break parallel is actually a big reason I wanted to integrate them. So this response was super helpful.

Shirl - I feel them working my obliques, but I haven't noticed a thickening...Now that you say that I'll be keeping an eye on it though.

New here...so hello!

I love front squats. I found they did alot to help improve the depth of my back squats and improved core. They're not difficult to learn, although you do have to deload a bit to learn the movement. I train legs 2x a week and front squats have a perm spot on my quad focus leg day.

Thanks for the response, and welcome!

Top Bottom