Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any truth to Optimum's Whey Protein = poor quality?

elemental007

I used to take Optimum 100% Whey. Then people started going into great detail about how optimum uses poor quality control, doesn't deliver what it promises, etc., and I switched to Whey Isolate from ProteinFactory.com. But basically I could drink 2x the number of protein shakes with Optimum and their 10 lb bag, so I'm considering going back to it. Any truth to their quality issues, though?

elemental007 said:
I used to take Optimum 100% Whey. Then people started going into great detail about how optimum uses poor quality control, doesn't deliver what it promises, etc., and I switched to Whey Isolate from ProteinFactory.com. But basically I could drink 2x the number of protein shakes with Optimum and their 10 lb bag, so I'm considering going back to it. Any truth to their quality issues, though?

IMO no, there is no truth to their QA issues. They make good stuff. It is inexpensive, but that doesn't mean it is low quality. They don't invest much in their product packaging or make outrageous claims about their products. Biotestes has awesome advertisments and slick labels, but their stuff sucks...

FHG
Optimum Investor

I've only heard good things about Optimum. I believe that someone on the board has lab results for their products.

Re: Re: Any truth to Optimum's Whey Protein = poor quality?

fhg43 said:

IMO no, there is no truth to their QA issues. They make good stuff. It is inexpensive, but that doesn't mean it is low quality. They don't invest much in their product packaging or make outrageous claims about their products. Biotestes has awesome advertisments and slick labels, but their stuff sucks...

FHG
Optimum Investor

I use Optimum Whey as my main protein drink. That said I think that Biotest LC Grow! is the best tasting protein drink on the market. Too bad I can't afford it.

Optimum is too big a brand to cheat...

I think it is a good and cheap protein powder

I've read 2 lab results of Optimum and other protein brands, Optimum was the only one that exceeded protein label claims. They make good stuff.

Forgot to mention one thing... I remember Everyone saying, "Proteinfactory is the best!" yada yada yada. Nobody every bothered to check their protein out, when they did is when people found out they did not meet their label. Just my 2cents.

Optimum's protein is cheep because they don't spend millions in advertising hype. They also manufacture all their own protein themselves cutting out middlemen. Optimum is a very reputable company and their protein in my opinion is the best out there. Expecially for the price.

I've also only heard good things about them aswell. Any rumors you hear about them must be coming from angry or jealous persons with an agenda to push something else or to just be "different" from what all of us use.

Scaggs

Well if everyone were to take a look at the labels on Optimum's 100% Whey protein, you will notice that the first ingredient is none other than a protein blend which they title Quadplex. OK, we're good so far. Then you'll notice the parentheses, denoting that the following items are what make up the blend. And what do we discover? The first ingredient listed is whey protein concentrate! That's right ladies and gents, whey protein concentrate! A lower quality form of whey protein. Most people should know that the first ingredient listed is also what is the most abundant ingredient in the mix. Of course, following the concentrate are two isolates and even some hydrolyzed peptides (aka. the way more higher quality forms of whey).

So let's take a minute to think about this. The cost of Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey powder is far more cheaper than your average whey isolate. Hmmm... why? Optimum wouldn't stoop so low as to put a shitload of whey concentrate while only sprinkling itsy bitsy particles of the isolates and hydrolyzed peptides in there would they?

Here's the kicker of them all. How's a company going to sell you high quality product for such a small price? Perhaps Optimum really isn't in the market to earn money? Because other than that I can't see any company standing to lose money like that. That's why a company like this CAN afford to exceed label claims of the amount of protein in it.

Let's get real here: you get what you pay for. Is Optimum's 100% Whey high quality? Perhaps as one of the higher quality whey concentrate manufacturers but that's about it.

Am I saying it doesn't build muscle? No. Protein is protein. I'm just trying to help set some kind of trend to pay attention to what you're buying before going around touting a product to be the best in terms of quality.

Top Bottom