Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

whyyyyy do beginners always feel the need

but you should be pushing to your breaking point every workout.

IMO this is a road to nowhere. You'll end up burnt out, injured and on a plateau (if you're lucky), or going backwards.

Periodization is the only way to go. Break it up by combining heavy weight workouts with lighter higher volume workouts. As you slowly get stronger, your light weights will start looking quite heavy too.

IMO if you base your workouts around squats, deads, bench, mil press, dips, etc. Lifts that are not ISO and require you to bust your ass then you will grow. Go heavy all the time. 5-8 reps. You should be pretty wiped out after doing these and not want to do isolation crap and if you do then your not pushing hard enough. On my squat and deadlift days i always need a good 5-10min break to get back into reality because im pushing so hard. Bench doesnt take that much out of me because its not one of my best lifts but you should be pushing to your breaking point every workout.

Bench isn't one of my best either. I know I thought I would throw some iso work in when i started a 5 x5, and that lasted for the first several weeks. It takes me several minutes just to get it back together enough to put the plates back up after squats and deadlifts. Lol, sometimes the bottom of my lats are so sore on DL day that I have to wait 15 or 20 minutes just so I can stear my vehicle safely.

IMO if you base your workouts around squats, deads, bench, mil press, dips, etc. Lifts that are not ISO and require you to bust your ass then you will grow. Go heavy all the time. 5-8 reps. You should be pretty wiped out after doing these and not want to do isolation crap and if you do then your not pushing hard enough. On my squat and deadlift days i always need a good 5-10min break to get back into reality because im pushing so hard. Bench doesnt take that much out of me because its not one of my best lifts but you should be pushing to your breaking point every workout.

I agree with everything but "heavy all the time".

Bust your ass all the time, but the strain on tendons and joints produced by consisently training heavy can eventually be a detriment rather than an asset.

big_bk...im kind of with him ...i usually go haevy ...on the big muscles...5-8 reps..usually 5...and i go 5-10 reps for bis and tris..

My answer is SO WHAT?!

I don't think this is a real big mystery..let me explain as not long ago (8 months) I was what you big guys consider a "beginner" and am still a beginner (maybe ready to graduate)

First, I read every bit of information I could find: magazines, library, internet, this forum. There is 1000! different opinions on what works.

When your new you think the more variety of lifts the better. You see all these bigger guys in the gym doing all sorts of different lifts. When I first read the 5x5 I thought to myself that can't be enough variety! :confused:

Then I started getting more structured and had a experienced friend put together a "program" for me. That program consisted of A LOT of different lifts. I ran that program for a while and eventually it evolved into the 5x5, now I focus on deadlifts, squats, bench, military press and rows. And secondary to that I will do some curls, dips, sit ups, etc.

As SaiBot says: The journey within is the longest and hardest..they will learn!

I expect to never stop learning while working towards my goals.

Don't be so judgemental :D

my question was more directed to those who have been told otherwise by more experienced trainers, but choose to ignore, not the kid whos in the gym for the first time.

We are talking about begginers here, 3 days in the gym doing push/pull/legs as heavy as you can all the time is not going to kill them. Plenty of days for recovery.

We are talking about begginers here, 3 days in the gym doing push/pull/legs as heavy as you can all the time is not going to kill them. Plenty of days for recovery.

Beginner here.

My definition of beginner is someone who has not worked out consistantly for at least 3 years.

My current program:

day 1: Squat( 3 sets 8 reps 245lbs last workout no wraps or belt), leg press, calvs

day 2: off

day 3: off

day 4: DL( 3 sets 8 reps 300lbs last workout, no straps or hooks ), barbell curls, hammer curls

day 5:eek:ff

day 6:Standing barbell mil press(3 sets 8 reps 115 lbs last workout)

day 7: off

day 8: Bench( 3 sets 8 reps 245 lbs last workout), incline bench, dips and tries

iv managed to stay injury free. and im growing.

for a 41 yr old im happy...

i increase 5 lbs a week till i fail to get my 8 reps. i stick at the weight till i get 3 sets of 8.

Ill go back down to 5 rep sets after this cycle. then the following cycle i go up to 10 reps.

in the beginning i felt the need to do lower reps to put more poundage on the bar. now i dont give a crap about what others think...i want to stay injury free and grow....so i will change cycles each quarter.

Beginners are ignorant...

They need to spend weeks in the gym doing only:
abs
rotators
lower back

before they ever touch a weight.

Top Bottom