Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Psychology Mid term

P

pauly

someone help me with n example of operant conditioning and how it helps maintain prejudice.

whoa!!! k, hold on...let me get my text book...did my psych midterm wednesday...this topic wont be covered until the final exam, but i learned it recently

Psychology Mid term

I had a Psyc Essay Final years ago and the question was "Why" I sat there for about five minutes and wrote "Why not". I got an A! Can you believe that shit! A classmate of mine was in there for an hour and a half and wrote page after page. He got a C-. When I told him what I got he blew his top. I laughed like a mother fucker! Shows you what a joke some of the courses in college are.

Operant Conditioning:

Thorndike's law of effect states that an animal's tendency to produce a behaviour depends on that behaviour's effect on the environment to produce a consequence. Operants are behaviours that are emitted rather than elicited by the environment. A consequence is said to lead to reinforcement if it increases the probability that a response will recur. A reinforcer is an environmental consequence that occurs after an organism has produced a response, which makes the response more likely to recur...

broken down into positve reinforcement, negative reinforcement, and punishment

how does it help to maintain prejudice? good question...my best guess would be in a case where a behaviour by an individual is reinforced through punishment by another person who is representative (in the mind of the punished individual) of the entire sex, race, creed, etc...say for example, every single time a guy is in a relationship he gets dumped by every girlfriend he gets...this is the "punishment" he receives by the girlfriend(s) and as a result, this guy might hold a prejudice towards all women because of that...i just learned this today, and we will be covering it more in depth in the next few classes...thanks for keeping me on my toes in psychology...as soon as i get 100 posts, i will be giving you good karma!

I went to Yahoo and searched on "operant conditioning" and "prejudice" and got several hits.

Good luck.

how about this...at some big university, there were like 500 students writing an exam with the title "what is courage"...one guy wrote "this is courage", and got 100!!

pauly said:
someone help me with n example of operant conditioning and how it helps maintain prejudice.

I only took psych 101 and cognitive (cognative?), but looking at that, and the roots, I'd guess that it is a feedback loop.

In the context of prejudice - say I know a somoan, and he is a big fat lazy fucker that smells bad. In my mind I then think, "hmm, I wonder if it is just him, or if all somoans are fat, lazy, and smell of ass?"
Then the next day, as I'm fondling myself in the bread isle of the grocery store, a big fat smelly guy walks up next to me. I turn and ask "excuse me, but would you happen to be somoan?"
if he says yes, then I'm going to think - whoa - all somoans must be fat smelly and lazy.

where in reality, it only seems that way to me, b/c I'm only looking for those traits, so when I find them, it reinforces the concept. a feedback loop.

were I to ask every single person if they were somoan, some would be, and out of them, some would NOT be fat, lazy, and smelly.

and your girlfriend has a nice ass.

Stab the person next to you through the hand with a pencil. Then when it heals use them as an example of "pencil enduced fear"...the pencil is the operand. Bwaugh ha ha...

Learning something through positive/negative reinforcement.

Damn, I got that degree SO long ago.....this is probably the first time i used it in about 4 years:(

My interpetation would be that if you grow up hearing whitey cause us to be poor and you to have a shit life, then you would maintain your prejudice as an adult because of the conditioning as a youth. Till you waxed some cracker ass in college.(I'm a cracker so don't shitkarma me please)

Top Bottom