Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help With Box Squats Please

Thanks for posting the video! I was planning on starting to box squat, and it clears up all my questions!

Thanks everyone. I think I was probably relaxing. The video helped a lot.

:) Reminds me of the first time I attempted any squat and I was so hung up on form that I totally screwed up everything. It's actually a natural movement (well, except for holding something on your back) when you think about it.

Tomorrow "stay tight; don't relax" will be my mantra!

Yeah, if you hang out around here on M. E. Squat day, you'll here "STAY TIGHT" getting screamed regularly toward the end of the workout. :)

I think this quote is what is confusing me (from Dave Tate in your WSB Sticky):

"Once you reach the box, you need to sit on the box and release the hip flexors. "

What does he mean by release the hip flexors? To me, that means relax? So confused now!

No, you release the tension in the hip flexors that you used to lower yourself, and in one swift move, you flex your ass and drive you head back to stand up.

Thanks Spatts for the Video.

What's the difference between box squats and squating down on a bench,
Other than legs wider?

Pamela

You can have you legs wider on a bench (if you straddle the bench). The difference is that those who do box squats tend to/want to have a box that is a custom height. With gym equipment, you have to make do. Also, the box is big enough that they don't have to worry about missing it when they sit back.

spatts--

thanks for posting that video-- oh my god-- I thought you stood on the boxes... LOL!!

that coulda been a little embarrassing:D

2Shy said:

I don't have this problem with a regular back squat, but I noticed that in the box squats I had to be careful not to rock forward onto my toes. I guess it comes from pausing on the box and starting fresh again. What's the best way to prevent this?

Possibly weak hams and the inability to sit BACK instead of down. What kind of shoes are you squatting in?

B True

Weak hips and hams.

Let me put it this way. Project has been squatting with Hannibal and I for about a year and STILL hasn't "felt" what we're talking about. It's not easy for everyone, and I can't imagine that trying to explain it over the net really helps much at all. I KNEW what I as supposed to do, and had even done it before, and it took me 7 months to solidify my stance/posture.

Get a broomstick and a video cam...practice, practice, practice. :)

Top Bottom