Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help With Box Squats Please

2Shy

I tried these for the first time tonight. My gym doesn't have a box, so I had to use an aerobic step and risers. The first thing I noticed was that I started out too high and had to keep lowering my box. I figured if my knees could feel it, then the box was too high. Oh, well. Live and learn.

I don't have this problem with a regular back squat, but I noticed that in the box squats I had to be careful not to rock forward onto my toes. I guess it comes from pausing on the box and starting fresh again. What's the best way to prevent this?

Oh, I probably should have told everyone (I know you all have been losing sleep over it! Hah!) but I squatted with the OL bar finally last Sunday.

My buddy won't help me do 1RMs for another week. He claims I am always pushing things and considering I still have problems catching my breath (bronchitis) he doesn't think I'll get a true maximum if I am not at 100%. ~I~ said yeah, but think how quickly I could surpass my PRs! He said no dice. lol

Anyway, what am I doing wrong?

Well, the "pause" concerns me for starters. You don't sit down, relax, regain composure, then come back up...that's a recipe for injury. You stay tight, touch down, and then in on move you move your head back and hips forward to stand up.

my box squat form isn't very good. I definitely "rest." (oops) I've caught myself "rocking" on one or two reps, but usually I punch out of the bottom. I've just come up with an idea - I've got to imagine that the step/box is a hot plate! :D

Spatts - I JUST noticed today that my traps were coming in. So, your new avatar is not only impressive, but down right SPOOKY!

Ahhhhhhh. I thought about it this morning and I also think I was not sitting back far enough, just touching the edge of my butt to the box--also something I don't do in a regular squat. Would that cause the rocking forward onto toes?

I must be misunderstanding the use of the box. I thought you actually sat on it (what I call the pause) i.e., allowing the box to support your weight for a split second.

Yes, you use it to completely stop momentum, but you don't relax. You stay tight.

Last edited:
I've got to show some others this too ... definitely has been a discussion at the gym - pause, or no pause & length of pause.

One of the main things with this is that the motion that your hips follow is not an up and down but rather a back and forth. When you rise off of the box the thrust comes from the glutes and the pelvis thrusts forward as it rises. If you are doing it properly you will notice that your groin becomes sore within the first couple of weeks. Also press your knees out as you lower.
I tend to try to rock up on my toes when I am going heavy and I have paused too long on the box and lost my tightness so I would say that it is a sign that you are allowing yourself to relax at the bottom.

Temple01 said:
One of the main things with this is that the motion that your hips follow is not an up and down but rather a back and forth. When you rise off of the box the thrust comes from the glutes and the pelvis thrusts forward as it rises. If you are doing it properly you will notice that your groin becomes sore within the first couple of weeks. Also press your knees out as you lower.
I tend to try to rock up on my toes when I am going heavy and I have paused too long on the box and lost my tightness so I would say that it is a sign that you are allowing yourself to relax at the bottom.

Good point, Temple...

Top Bottom