Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Don't wanna workout, can't find the motivation

Gladiola

Lifting used to be my favorite part of the day. The more stress at the office, the more I couldn't wait to take it out on the iron. Loved it, loved the time with my partner, loved getting stronger.

Then the whole Olympic weightlifting thing. It STRESSED me. No more stress RELIEVING workouts, now lifting was stressful!
Then it really became a mess: hip pain, building breaking, no training space, a$$hole coach, etc.

Am I TOTALLY walking away from the sport?! Don't know. Starting to think so. E-mailed yesterday with my teammate friend. They found a new space to train & it's not far from my home. He's telling me to come back. Just accept my coach the way he is, just deal with the hip pain & accept that too.

I can't quite bring myself to go back, and I can't bring myself to walk away. Feeling torn apart (which my new avatar makes me think of), I also can't bring myself to do ANY workouts. Trying to go back to the old workouts with my partner just makes me focus on the whole mess, making me MORE upset.

:confused: :bawling: :( :confused: :bawling: -> About sums up how I feel.

:( I am sure you will decide one way or another what is right for you. I do not personally know you but I have been lurking around here for a while and have ready may posts by you. You are a very strong willed woman. Listen to your heart, maybee all you need is time. I hope you are able to make yourself happy again, we don't seeing GLADiola sad:( .

lovemymuscle

Lose the a$$hole coach, he's not helping you. Take care of your hip pain, NOW. Relax for a while. If you loved working with the iron in the past that passion WILL return as long as you get yourself into a more enjoyable/comfortable situation. First things first, LOSE THE COACH. (I wasn't impressed with what I had read about him in the past and wanted to say something back then.)

Gladiola....... Im sorry your feeling this way but maybe you just need a break.
Im sure a couple of weeks to rejuvenate your mind and body will help and you WILL be back stronger then ever.
I can see how this lifestyle could to some degree be stressful and a break may be necessary for "some" of us.
I just took a month off and I feel great.
Lovemymuscle has a wonderful quote read it.

I hope this helps :)

I feel so bad for you, Gladiola! Hopefully you will find your way through this. Just remember, if life wasn't challenging, we'd all be bored to death. :)

As far as your hip pain, my PL friend was in the same boat you are - at the point where he didn't enjoy lifting any more because his body hurt so much. He discovered soft tissue therapy, which has worked wonders for him. I'll try to get some more info for you.

I lurk more than I post, but Gladiola I feel sad for you just reading what you're going thru. :bawling:

Yes, it's time to regroup!!! :) Time to get that hip tended to, change your coach, and get that passion back. From reading your posts you are born to lift. I think getting into a slump is natural, but I hope you get it all back. Keep us posted, ok?

I heard back from my PL friend - it's called Active Release Technique - you can find lots of info on the web. Here's some info I pulled off a website:

Active Release Techniques (ART) was developed by Dr. Michael Leahy, a Doctor of Chiropractic based in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Prior to becoming a Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Leahy was an aeronautical engineer with the U.S Air Force. Using his engineering background and this knowledge of human anatomy,
Dr. Leahy formulated a unique and effective approach for dealing with soft tissue injuries, now known as ART.

ART provides a way to diagnose and treat the underlying causes of cumulative trauma disorders which often result in symptoms of numbness, tingling, burning, and aching. ART is a hands-on therapy that corrects muscular and soft tissue problems that are caused by adhesion formation from overuse or cumulative trauma.

Cumulative trauma and overuse of soft tissue causes Repetitive Stress Injuries (RSI). Soft tissue that is forced to perform the same job over and over becomes irritated and then inflamed. The body responds to inflammation by laying down scar tissue in an attempt to stabilize the area. Once this happens an ongoing cycle begins that worsens the condition. The longer this condition persists, the harder is is to break this cycle.

Conditions treated w/ ART:
Arthritis
Back Pain/Injuries
Bicepital Tendonitis
Bursitis
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Foot pain
Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis
Golfers/Tennis elbow (Tendonitis)
Golf Injuries
Ilio tibial band syndrome
Knee Pain
Muscle pulls or strains
Muscle weakness
Performance Care
Plantar Fascitis
Repetitive strain injuries
Running Injuries
Sciatica
Shin splints
Shoulder Pain
Swimmers Shoulder
Rotator cuff syndrome
Tendinitis
Tennis elbow
Thoracic outlet syndrome
Throwing Injuries

Thanks all for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Litloak -
I'm VERY glad you spoke up now about my coach!! As I mentioned in one post on him, I have almost no experience being coached, so I don't know if my complaints about him are justified or not!! He does know his stuff when it comes to technique, so he's excellent in that regard. I really appreciate hearing that I'm not crazy in thinking he's a lousy coach b/c of my various issues.

CrystalChick -
I just took close to 4 weeks off!!!! In that time, I still did cardio 1-2X per week, yoga 1X per week, and lifting maybe 1-2X per week - upper body only, but I gave my lower body a big break from strength training.

grlpwrd -
"born to lift"? AWWW! :kiss: Thanks, that was really sweet! I usually feel that way myself as well.

I will keep you all posted - Thanks again.

Gladiola, I have to agree with litloak about the coach, If you have any aggression twords him lose him. He is who he is and will never change. You on the other hand are doing this for you, to make you happy and you should not have to settle for anything less than you deserve. There are plenty of coaches out there who I am sure would be greatful for your desire and natural ability and would respect your input as well. I believe every sport should have some customization you also need to add a little of you to make you happy. Good luck and take your time finding someone ealse I am sure someone will come along and you will be back to loving OL or even BB. What ever you chose to do It is your decision and in the end you must remain happy:D .

lovemymuscle

JUST GOT AN E-MAIL FROM MY COACH!!!!

Went to a lifting meet on Sat & saw him, but didn't chat with him.

***-
How ya been. I didn't get the chance to catch-up with you... I was a bit crazy coaching 50+ lifters from about 7 am 'til 9:30 pm.

I'll let you know where we end up - ... I hope [your friend] has
been keeping you informed.

What did you think of the lifting? Are you still up for the challenge?'

---------------------->> He reaches out to attempt communication with me. After weeks of no communication.

THE PLOT THICKENS. My friend was CC'd on the e-mail.

I am so torn apart - I really just want to go back b/c trying to leave has made me too miserable.

I'm debating attempting to take from him what I can & what I should take, 1. Use of a training space. 2. My workouts (set up the periodization, etc.) 3. Learning his awesome technique. and trying to LEAVE BEHIND & just GET OVER what I DON"T get from him (listening, support, encouragement, concern, positive feedback).

Do you think that's possible???

Top Bottom