Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Too much volume for chest?

Snatch518

I switched up my routine today. I used to do just one body part a day, I'm now doing a 3 day split. Mon - Chest and Tris. Wed - Legs and Shoulders. Friday - Back and Bis. Every set was to failure. Today I did...

DB Bench Press - 3 sets: 10/8/6
Incline DB Press - 3 sets: 10/8/6
DB Flys - 3 sets: 10/8/6

After that, I was completely fatigued, I wanted to do dips, but couldn't even support myself on the damn bars.

Then onto a piss poor tri exercise since my arms couldn't lift anything.

Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets: 10/8/6
Overhead Tricep Extensions - 3 sets: 10/8/6
Cable Tricep Pulldowns - 3 sets: 10/8/6

Is this too much volume, should I cut down sets to 2 and go 6-8 reps?

I think you should do more sets on the bigger body part since it is fresh and the smaller one is not. After you do all the chest excerrcises your tris are shot so why do the same amount of sets with them....

I think that the key problem here is that you went to failure on every set...

B True

That would probably be a good suggestion.

B True

i would suggest hitting tris on another day. if i were to try doin tris after i do chest, id look like a total girl. i do
mon - chest
tues - back
wed - bis/tris
thurs - legs
fri - shoulders

seems to be working well. im getting bigger.

I actually think that it is TO LITTLE VOLUME FOR CHEST. 9 sets a week isnt much at all. You should be doing over 20 sets a week of chest.

Try 2 times a week of chest and do like 10-12 sets each time. Like Arnold did, save a rep in you each set so you can recover to do chest 2x a week.

Like b fold said dont go to failure every set.

Its interesting how these days every "hardgainer" trains each part 1x a week and wonders why he isnt growing.

CytoMel said:
I actually think that it is TO LITTLE VOLUME FOR CHEST. 9 sets a week isnt much at all. You should be doing over 20 sets a week of chest.

Try 2 times a week of chest and do like 10-12 sets each time. Like Arnold did, save a rep in you each set so you can recover to do chest 2x a week.

Like b fold said dont go to failure every set.

Its interesting how these days every "hardgainer" trains each part 1x a week and wonders why he isnt growing.

I beg to differ. You should never do more than 16 sets per body part.

Snatch518 said:

I beg to differ. You should never do more than 16 sets per body part.

16 sets? Is that number special or something?

I am not going to start any flames but I wonder how people come up with these training ideas. I think its from the bodybuilding mags or are they supplement catalogs disgised as magazines. By the way I benched over 400 in competition last week so I might know something about training chest, but if you want to do 16 sets go ahead but I still think that training each part 2x a week with 20+ sets for lagging parts is the way to go.

Top Bottom