Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hows about this type of whole body program 3x/week?

Good stuff. I've really never been a fan of assistance work...maybe its because I have no desire to be 230lbs @ 7% or compete in any way, shape, or form - but I've been happy with where focusing on the compounds has brought me.

I'll try working in some of your feedback and see how it treats me.

I agree with ghetto about assistance. I hate it too bro, I never do curls. Never do any machines, I think they are a waste and if you are going to do assistance then it should still be free weights/cables, something where you are not on ur ass.

Whenever I make a routine for bodybuilding, I always come up with 5 exercises for each bodypart and I can only finish 3. I think there is no problem with you doing your compounds movements as much as you want. I also think dips are one of the best things for chest, not bench. I do like bench though because of my ego :)

I also agree abs are pretty much worked when you are doing heavy compounds, no need to waste ur time on those. One thing I do like is doing the hanging leg raises like this
YouTube - Hanging leg raises - 5lb x 15

Here is an idea for some assistance work for your lifts
Deads- weighted chins, db or bb rows
Squats - SLDL or some posterior chain
Dips - DB or BB military

You need to realize starting strength is predominantly about teaching new lifters how to lift and use a simple, but effective program that can be built up as they advance in strength.

Rippetoe is not opposed to assistance exercises if they serve a real purpose and are effective. The intermediate stage of lifting ie. when you transition from making gains every workout to making gains once a week or so is the best time to start using assistance lifts.

To build a strong, attractive, functional body you do not need alot of assistance exercises, but you do need some or the smaller muscles can actually hinder the big lifts.

At a minimum I would recommend shoulder pressing for a different angle of pressing than just dips, some strict pressdowns to assist in strengthening the triceps in an isolated fashion because they may not be getting maximally fatigued in the compound lifts. Back extensions, leg curls, decline situps, sidebends etc will all help the big lifts.

Assistance exercises shouldn't be shunned. They aren't that taxing either because they should be performed as "assistance" lifts with lighter weight and strict form. Sets of 3x8-12 being ideal. I just did an assistance workout tonight after benching and squatting heavy on monday and tuesday and basically just did decline situps, db sidebends, lying leg raises, back extension and some curls. All for 3 sets of 10. I got some muscle fatigue and blood flow into the muscles and will add a little weight next time. Wasn't particularly taxed from the workout, but rather invigorated and it was beneficial.

There will come a point if you are only doing nothing, but the basic compound lifts that you will get strong enough that you will either injure yourself because the assistance muscles haven't been getting taxed enough or you will stall out because these smaller muscles are becoming weak links. It's just the way it is.

This doesn't mean bookoo assistance. For my bench I'll do close grips or decline dumbells and strict cable pressdowns to make sure the triceps get isolated.

For squats I'll do some high rep leg presses and some abductor/adductor work.

For deads I'll use back extensions, db rows, stiff legged deads etc.

Doesn't have to be alot, but you need to shore up the big muscles. You're only as strong as your weakest link.

P.S. Also, your abs do get a good workout from heavy squats, presses and deads, but they get accustomed to this very fast. They can be made even stronger with a little direct attention and this is really beneficial when you're squatting or deadlifting +400lbs as it will help keep you solid.

Great post.

Shoulders = dips/chins
Arms = dips/chins/deads
abs = people still "work" those? Squats, deads, and weighted chins take care of that.

Id alternate pullups and chins (weighted, of course).

As for arms, I think the last time I did a curl, pressdown/extension, or whatever the exercise du jour is for arms was 2001.

dips = triceps (yes, shoulders are secondary muscles but dont get a good enough owrkout out of it)

deadlifts do workout biceps, forearms and traps as secondary muscles, but it is not nearly enough. I would throw in there barbell curls, hammer curls, dumbell shrugs.

I'm a big advocate of isolation exercises...not too many, just enough to get enough circulation and work out of the smaller muscle groups.

It's good shit bro.

I've been training like this for a while now. My time is precious and I'd rather not waste it. It's all about training economy nowadays.

It's good shit bro.

I've been training like this for a while now. My time is precious and I'd rather not waste it. It's all about training economy nowadays.

no calves?

Also, I just learned what a facepull is....and scarecrows look like a nice variation from the rear shoulder workout you get out of a reverse pec dec machine

Face pulls kill my delts and upper back. Killer exercise for high reps and multiple sets imo.

I haven't trained calves directly in a good while.

Top Bottom