Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do total reps work vs sets?

hongrongHOU

I want to do street workout style of training. Willit be effective if I will just aim to a certain number of repsregardless of sets? Say 60 pushups, 30 pullups, 30 dips, etc. Thenafter some time I will increase that number – does it sound like aprogram that can lead me to somewhere?

Progression takes many forms. One way to measure it was tonnage in a workout = work load. So if, for example, I did 8 reps with a 100lbs my total workload is 800lbs.

Street workouts tend towards a higher volume rep approach so I'd say less sets and more reps. An example of one way is 6 x 50 reps = 300 reps. But Street style might be 3 x 100 reps = 300 reps. Street is also more conditioned based and so the lower rep sets won't cut it so adding reps per set IS the way to go.

I would say that in the end of the day what matters the most is the time under tension, so what counts more are not the sets, but the total number of reps and stress put on your muscles. Therefore, you just do as many reps as you can in the sets that it takes you to achieve your goals. Another important thing to keep in mind is your personal approach to training - look what works best for you, and nobody else, and do just that. Try different approaches, and make conclusions.

In order to make progress - you need to make things harder so your body has a reason to adapt and keep responding. You can either add weight or add repetitions (or both).

Your idea of starting with a set number of reps and then increasing the reps every week or so is a great idea. You will continue to make progress and build strength/endurance doing that.

Anything will work if you put the effort in. If you are doing a certain amount of reps and then are able to do more next time you are progressing. That is better than what most people can say.

Top Bottom