Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5 rep sets good for size as long as diet is in check?

tiwkcuf

Provided that one eats at a moderate calorie surplus with enough protein, will the person's mass gain be effective with sets of 5 reps, or is the person only going to get stronger? Help me out please.

I found out accidentally that for me, 5-7 reps is best for size, and there seems to be no difference in strength for me. I switch up a lot, so I have some workouts with a lot of reps (12-18), and fewer sets (3-4), and other times I'll do heavy weight and get failure on rep 5 or 6, and do 8 or 10 sets. Sometimes keep doing sets until I fail on rep 2. That gives the best pump, and I'm "good and sore" the next day ;)

Charles

Thanks guys. So why do some say that 8-10 reps are the best for mass and other rep ranges are not worth it? Is it because other ranges don't break down the muscle enough? Sorry if I sound dumb to some of you, but I am a n00b in this whole muscle biology thing.

strength and size are directly correlated, meaning as one goes up so will the other. it's usually just not necessary to do more than 12 reps on most exercises, and most people do think that <8 reps is more for strength, >7 is more for size. people are all different though.

strength and size are directly correlated, meaning as one goes up so will the other. it's usually just not necessary to do more than 12 reps on most exercises, and most people do think that <8 reps is more for strength, >7 is more for size. people are all different though.

Not to hijack a thread, but I am going to write an article on this one day. Its really a common misconception. I'm not going to get into who why's, and how's here, except to say look at these people:

Ed Coan
Jason Bergmann
Pyrros Dimas

And that is just a few names I can throw out there. If the axiom that size and strength correlated, these 3 would be well over 6' tall and weigh 300 lbs.

B-

This isnt always true. I can get stronger without gaining any size and i can get bigger doing more of a bodybuilding split but i will lose strength by doing so

Top Bottom