Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Viable?

under an hour. i move fast from set to set since the weight isn't terribly high. about an hour and a half for 35k. the time under tension is good it's almost like supersetting everything altogether. warmups weight or not you gotta be kidding if you think accumulating stress that quickly won't stimulate a lot of growth.

edit- im gonna try to get it done in half hour. that should work much better

Last edited:
The reason Stronglifts works is because of the progression. Within a month or so you will find it to be very very difficult, especially if you aren't used to lifting heavy weights. Eventually you will get to weights that you cannot complete for the prescribed amount of reps and will have to eventually deload.

Stress through volume isn't going to make you bigger and stronger, especially with all of the additional calories burned and a substandard diet.

Trying to get your volume work done in half an hour with light weights...you're starting to border on cardiovascular exercise with some muscular endurance component. You may want to check out the endurance forums, or better yet look into the insanity workout if high intensity cardio is your interest. Usually people loking for advice in the weight training forums just want to get bigger and stronger, and I believe I may have misinterpreted your objectives and assumed this was the case.

I am a natural trainee who just got into the game a few months ago. I've been hopping from idea to idea and program to program. I haven't been able to stick with a program for longer than a few weeks but because of my beginner status I've been able to make solid progress so far. I started out at 196 and now I'm up to 218 at 6'0 (14-16 percent body fat) in only a matter of 4 months. The gains have been split between fat/muscle/water retention.

This is the program I created and intend on using/sticking with for the next couple of months. I hope the more experienced lifters will have constructive criticism to offer to help maximize progress.

A) Deadlift 10x5
BB Overhead Press 10x5
BB Pullover 10x5

B)Squat 1x20
BB Bent Row 10x5
BB Bench 10x5

I plan on running this everyday alternating between A and B until sunday which will be a rest day. The set/rep scheme for every movement is 10x5 aside from squat which is 1 set of 20 repetitions. Some might argue the volume is too high but I don't think 270 reps every two days is terribly difficult. Also I don't possess the greatest genetics in the world but at nearly 220 pounds I stand as the smallest male in my family, which may or may not signal a slightly above avergae recovery and muscle building capacity.

I might as well note that after awhile of performing high volume workouts this way I intend to switch to a much, much lower volume routine. I expect the transfer to be highly beneficial.

Thank you for your time.
how old are you?

stress through volume most certainly promotes growth. i don't understand how anybody can deny that. thats a bit infuriating to read actually because i am living proof it works. as well, the faster a workout is performed (rest reduction) also promotes growth and conditioning because the body has to adapt to handle the constant strain. you just ignorantly spat in the face of gvt theory when it CLEARLY provides spurs of growth at a rate higher than standard 5x5's or what have you. And I can always increase poundage while doing it this way so it's not like strength gains won't occur. I'll have endurance, size, and gradual strength while somebody else might have emphasis on strength and size.

lets say we each lifted 3,000 pounds and it took me 10 minutes to complete and took you fifteen minutes to complete. Assuming we both used good enough form and the same rep speed, I would benefit more from my way than your way because I chose not to rest as much. I would achieve a greater level of stamina, save overall time, and would be conditioned to repeat it again the enxt training day.

perhaps I shouldn't have said that high volume is better than 5x5 because OVERALL the best way is to constantly change schemes, but for a specefic period of time, high volume most certainly provides high levels of growth

edit 22 years old

Last edited:
Maybe you should clarify your goals. Are you trying to get stronger, more muscle, or in better endurance shape?

If you want to get stronger you need to get under a bar that is loaded with MAXIMAL weight for yourself, 90% of 1RM and up. It is that simple. It is the quickest way to get STRONGER.

You can do your 20k workouts and there is no doubt in my mind that you will burn a lot of calories, lose fat and throw on some muscle on top of the oodles of the other good things that come with weight training. However, it is not the quickest way to get stronger. Strength and muscle do not directly correlate, more muscle does not equal a proportional gain in strength, and vice versa.

Oh yeah, start squatting, DEEP. At 6' tall, 215 lbs. a 350 DL is weak sauce. Bio mechanically you have a very good build to dead lift so you should really be loading the weight on these. 5+ plates.

I want everything but size is what I want the most. I agree with you, my max lifts are a lot weaker then I'd like them to be. This will change in time. lol i dunno how you expect me to lift 500 lbs already but i can more or less promise a 500 lb dead by this time next year.

As a pro, what are your average total workloads? That seems to be the only factor I potentially have over other lifters so I'm just trying to compare dick sizes real quick lol.

Nowhere near yours that is for sure. I'll take last night's workout for an example because I have never calculated my lbs. per workout

Front Squat

135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x1
345x3
335x2
315x2
275x4

BB Row

135x5
165x3
185x7
185x5
185x4
175x7

Chins (Bodyweight)
3x10

Lat Pull Down
3x10 with 150, its a pulley system though so idk the weight.

Feel free to do the math, honestly I don't see how calculating workload is even relevant.

Your a pro and you bent row with 185? Fucking weak for a pro man...unles you mean upright row...which is alright. I do can do 150x5 with decent form already. the 345 front squat is awesome. I didn't calculate all of it but it looks to be somewhere between 25k and 30k. AND Of course it's relevant. Thats like saying the answer of an addition problem in math doesn't matter in the equation. By the way, you're small.

You are living proof that any form of weight training will cause a beginner to make gains.If you take a deconditioned elderly adult for instance, they will make gains from pretty much any resistance training so long that their nutritional status is intact. Same applies to yound males who are weak relative to their size.

If you want to be say even a little stronger than the average planet fitness trainee (no offense mike, you're an exception), you're going to at some point need to stop worshipping Charles Poliquin and slag some iron. And your theory is flawed, volume and time are not the primary factors that decide intensity. Consider the 3000 lbs...if you perform that amount of work with 100 lbs at 30 reps and I perform that weight by doing 3 sets of heavy doubles, then you've just done some cardio and I've reaped the benefits of heavy weight training.

It's like saying your bench press is better than Jim Wendlers, because you did more volume (185x5x10) than he did today (in example 135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 405x2, 495x2, 585x2, 675x2)

It's damn hard to get stronger without getting bigger as a side-effect. I'm just saying you should get your strength levels to a reasonable point before focusing on volume as a training factor.

You're promising a 500 lb deadlift...how do you intend to get there without training heavy? I don't care how many times you deadlift 240 pounds...you're maximal strength is not going to keep growing by doing more volume. I don't think Mike is telling you to go tear your spine pout of your asshole attempting an impossible 500 lb dead, he's just nicely telling you that you need to man up on the poundage. For example you should be squatting more than you can lift over your head, unless of course you are overhead squatting.

Ok point taken. getting stronger is undeniably important. Gonna go buy some plates as soon I max the ones I got. I haven't accomplished anything yet I understand that. It's just that theres no reason why I can't add pounds to the bar while doing decent volume. It's completely reasonable. I can get the 500 lb deadlift while integrating volume. And I mean nobody dedicates themselves ENTIRELY to one set/rep scheme. It changes constantly. I like volume. Maybe in a couple months I'll like a 7x7, or 5x5 or a 3x10 or 10x3. I mean for christs sake all of it works.

Top Bottom