Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Too much cardio??

JLo

Right now, I do 40-45 minutes of cardio after work - around 7pm. Soon, I will take my daughters to another daycare which will allow me to do cardio in the a.m., since I hear that's a much better time. It will also cut out some of my time I spend at the gym in the evenings (I will just do weights), so that I can be more productive at home.

But, I can't help but wonder if I should make the most of it and do the cardio in the a.m. IN ADDITION to the cardio in the evenings. Is cardio twice a day too much? Will it make that big of a difference - is it worth the extra time? My goal is to put on more muscle while leaning out. I am currently 5'5 135 lbs. with 15% BF measured with the calipers...

If it would be extremely beneficial to do cardio in the a.m. AND the p.m., then that's what I am going to do. I'm just not sure how much is too much...

Re Too Much Cardio

I would like to know that answer as well.. I am currently doing
1 hour in the morning on non weight days and 1 hour at night.
On Weight days I do weights in the AM no cardio and cardio at night 1 hour. I am trying to loose weight.

Thanks In Advance for the help
Cutie

If you are doing at least 60 minutes in the a.m. and then another 20-30 minutes post weights, you are doing good. If you are alternating cardio and weight days, this is good also.

In my opinion, if you are trying to burn fat, there is no such thing as too much.

If you are preparing for competition, though, I would save heavy cardio to closer to time for competition as your body will quickly adapt to higher cardio early on and it will be more difficult to shed that last bit of fat right before going on stage. Also you do not want to sacrifice precious muscle you have worked so hard to put on.

As WarLobo has also pointed out, you need to decide whether you want to put on muscle or burn fat. You can preserve and build some muscle during your fat burning cycles, but I would not use this time to try and pack it on.

Significant muscle gain also requires some fat and water gain along the way.

Mrs. TG

I pick my daughters up from daycare and then take them to the daycare at Bally's where they are there for at least an hour and a half. I don't get home in the evenings until 8:30pm. I am a single mom with daughters 4 and 6 years old. They like going to the gym, though. And, as soon as they're old enough, they will be working out with me! I have to pull my youngest off the elleptical everytime I walk into the gym! She got it down pat! Although, she proudly proclaims that her favolrite food is cheese.... We'll have to have a talk about that in a few years!

Well, it looks like my days will just get longer. I will do cardio in the a.m and p.m. I am honestly a bit excited. I am hoping to see results pretty quick and that always motivates me!

Hats off to you JLo for your hard work as a single mother. I did it for so long when my babies were that age and it was hard!!!!! You are a very determined woman who will accomplish your goals. You may try and alternate your am cardio days, if it is too much on the babies to carry them or invest in some really good TaeBo tapes to work out at home in the morning while the kids are still sleeping. It will offer you a little more time at home with them. Save the eliptical machine for the evening.

It's all about what works best for your schedule. I have all the respect in the world for you as a single mommy. Please keep us updated on how things go.

Mrs. TG

What time do you drop them off at day care in the AM?

My 1st grader takes the bus in the a.m. (7:30) and I drop off my youngest around 8am. I work from 9-6 and pick them up around 6:45 from the sitter and then head right to the gym. But, when I change their sitter in the next couple of weeks to a REAL daycare (now they stay with a couple of ladies that watch children in their home) - then, I will drop them off at 6:30am. That will give me about 2 1/2 hours to do a cardio workout, get dressed, and get to work (I work 25 miles away from my home/ gym.)

I may limit my morning cardio workouts to 2 days during the work week.

Thank ya'll for the support. I am really determined to go the extra mile this time. I want to be able to look at my body butt-naked and like what I see - from EVERY angle! I hope that's possible...LOL.

I will keep you guys posted!

I don't mind the questions. I take a day off during the week and I have my daughters every other weekend (their dad has them odd weekends). They stay up until around 10pm and I sit at the table with them while I drink my shake and they eat their supper.

It's hard and I don't get to see them as much as I should, but they are happy girls and we enjoy the time we have.

That was one benefit of switching daycares - I thought I would be able to knock out some of my work out in the a.m so that I wouldn't get home so late every night. I'll have to see.....

This probably sounds selfish, but I have thought about "feeling guilty" for putting myself first at times, but I have noticed, that when I skip a workout or miss a day because of good intentions of spending quality time with the kiddos - my attitude is horrible. I feel like I am a much better mother when I feel confident and good about myself. I am happier and more energetic and more fun to be around if I am consistant in my workouts. Aside from the BF%, working out helps me in tons of ways.

Running on the treadmill is a time where I collect my thoughts and do some of my best brainstorming.

Once they get older, however, rollerblading in the park, bike rides, and things like that will definitely be an option.

I was reading this thread and worrying a bit about the time spent with the kiddies, too. I LOVE the idea of the three of you jumping rope for cardio one evening or two per week. The kids will probably think that's just the greatest thing! Jumping rope with Mommy, Yahoo!!

P.S. I know what you mean, though when you say that they are ok with Mom working out, etc. My kids think it's normal to go down to the basement and study, watch tv, gab with Mom while she's working out. They know that they can't talk, especially to say something funny, while Mom's doing squats, though! My kids are 16 and 17 and doing just fine. (would be doing even better if I could convince THEM to work out, too...!)

P.P.S. Oh ya, rollerblading. Pretty funny when your 17 year-old daughter has to literally hold your hand while the two of you are rollerblading so you don't fall and kill yourself! Darned good thing she was there 2 or 3 times or I could have really taken a hard digger!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom