Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Recently injured my back I think I need to re evaluate my workout routine

RBtrucking4

Hello everyone I recently injured my back while doing some clean and presses. I think the reason however is that I am doing too many back exercises in a row. I am gonna list my exercise routine, and would love some of you to critique it and tell me where I could use improvement.

Monday:

Shoulder shrug 8x10
Preacher curl 8x10
Dumbell curl 8x10
Dumbell shoulder shrug 8x10

Tuesday:
Bent Rows 8x10
Dumbell Bent rows 8x10
Dumbell Bench Press 8x10

Wednesday:
conventional Deadlift 8x5
stiff leg deadlift 8x5
Hax squat machine 8x15
Leg press 8x15

Thursday:
Military Press 8x10
Barbell Military Press 8x10
Clean and press 8x10

Friday:
Bench press 8x10
Lat Pulldown 8x10
chest butterfly machine 8x10

On all of these days after I lift I do about 200 sit ups and I also do cardio 6-7 days a week. One thing to note is when I do deadlift I do not use a weightlifting back belt because I bought one once before, and made a thread about it here, and everyone said that they are like a crutch, and can actually do more harm then god, so I returned it.

I do however see everyone at my gym using them when they do back exercises, and there are some pretty big guys there, so I assume they know what they are doing (not saying by any means that you guys dont).

I have been deadlifting for a long time though, and this is the first time I hurt my back but the day I hurt my back I had incorporated the stiff leg deadlifts into my routine for the first time the day before, and I am thinking maybe that had something to do with it.

Well I really appreciate any input, Remember, I am very open to suggestion on my routine because I am by no means a weightlifting expert. This routine I have here is just something I threw together.

Do you stretch? Are you sure you use proper form? What type of pain? Remember, if it hurts stop. Never work through the pain of a possible injury.

Do you stretch? Are you sure you use proper form? What type of pain? Remember, if it hurts stop. Never work through the pain of a possible injury.

Im not gonna lie to ya I do not stretch before I lift, I do stretch before my cardio. My form on the regular deadlift is good, but from what I have been reading and watching it looks like I may have done the stiff legged deadlift wrong. I do keep my back straight, but I bent all the way down to the point where the weights on the bar touches the ground.

In all the videos I have watched I see that most people do not go down that low. Also, the pain I felt when I injured my back was in the lower back. The only real way to describe it is the same feeling you get when you sit down really hard, and hit your tail bone, and thats how it felt a couple days after.

It was not that serious of an injury because 3 days later I was able to start running again but I am going to take at least a week off from the gym.

Also, it was one of those things where it just suddenly hurt, I would never try to work my way through pain. I just bent down to grab the bar and the pain struck, so I immediately stopped, and left the gym.

I'm not a doc but sounds like a pulled muscle. When you start back try not going to the floor. If it happens again consider removing that exercise. Does the pain radiate down either leg?

I'm not a doc but sounds like a pulled muscle. When you start back try not going to the floor. If it happens again consider removing that exercise. Does the pain radiate down either leg?

Ya, I think I probably pulled a muscle too. I know, I definitely wont be going all the way down to the floor anymore.

When it first happened that day, and maybe a little bit the next day the pain did seem to radiate down my left leg a little bit, but not anymore.

That's good then. Less likely to be a disc or nerve. Rest up and heal up bro'! Live to lift another day.

Also remember, tight hamstrings can really effect your lower back in a bad way.

Ya you know something, I think I do have tight hamstrings. Best way to rectify that would be stretching I assume, right? Its funny you say that too because on the day of injury my hamstrings did feel a little tight, I had a feeling I shouldn't even bother with my lifting that day.

Also other than that would you say my workout routine looks ok, or should I change anything?

I notice you only do one chest exercise Tuesday and two Friday. You need to do a complete chest workout on chest day.

Dumbell press- 4 sets
Benchpress - 4 sets
Cables - 4 sets
One more of your choosing - 4 sets.
Right now you are kind of spread out everywhere with your muscle groups and days.

I notice you only do one chest exercise Tuesday and two Friday. You need to do a complete chest workout on chest day.

Dumbell press- 4 sets
Benchpress - 4 sets
Cables - 4 sets
One more of your choosing - 4 sets.
Right now you are kind of spread out everywhere with your muscle groups and days.

Alright so as far as the sets go would you say I should switch to 4 sets of 10? You think the 8 sets of 10 is over doing it? I noticed you suggested 4 sets instead of 8.

Top Bottom