Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question regarding cardio first thing in the AM

solrosenberg

I don't wake up until around 9 and do my cardio around 10. I always heard doing cardio on an empty stomach burns the most fat because your glycogen stores are empty and your body will use stored fat for energy. I am just worried I am breaking down muscle too. How do you avoid this ?

ps, don't say wake up earlier, lol.

The time you wake up has little to do with the catabolism of muscle... Chances are, if you wake up at 9am, you didn't go to bed as early as someone doing their cardio at 6am (or you're a lucky/lazy asshole!)

There are so, so many (educated) schools of thought on this issue, and you're bound to get a million different answers. Personally, keep the cardio under 30 minutes and you won't suffer much catabolism. If you wish to exercise longer, consider a small whey or BCAA shake 1hr before working out. And of course, you could always rail some anavar :)

The time you wake up has little to do with the catabolism of muscle... Chances are, if you wake up at 9am, you didn't go to bed as early as someone doing their cardio at 6am (or you're a lucky/lazy asshole!)

There are so, so many (educated) schools of thought on this issue, and you're bound to get a million different answers. Personally, keep the cardio under 30 minutes and you won't suffer much catabolism. If you wish to exercise longer, consider a small whey or BCAA shake 1hr before working out. And of course, you could always rail some anavar :)

will the whey defeat the purpose of doing the cardio on an empty stomach ? I want to burn some stored fat. Also, I have done this 17 out of the last 21 days and starting to see some results. But, I don't want to burn any hard earned muscle. TIA

Like the last two posts, doesnt matter when you wake up, its what you do right when you wake up. We all have different lives/sleep paterns. I usually wake up and throw down 23g of protein with water as soon as i wake up to stop the catabolic state im most likely in from 8hrs sleep, which is only 130 calories for me... But thats me... If your worried about burning stored fat, you should burn at least double those cals if you do 30 min of cardio and your heart rates up. So you only have some calories in the way... Try and do the cardio as soon as possible, and have breakfast right aftwards... example - wake up at 7am shake, 730am cardio, 8am breakfast. Good luck.

Thanks for the advise. This is where I am confused. If I take a scoop of whey when I wake up, doesn't that ruin the idea of doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the am ?

If you're looking into fasted cardio but interested in not losing muscle mass then you should be doing HIIT programs. There are several out there that are fantastic, just google HIIT and I'm sure you'll find one that meets your needs.

As for a protein shake before your cardio, yes that defeats the whole purpose of FASTED cardio.

As for a protein shake before your cardio, yes that defeats the whole purpose of FASTED cardio.

In essence hes right... but about the muscle... you might loose some. Your body is probably in catabolic state when you wake up.. Having 130 calorie protein shake for me, and then doing just around 15 minutes of cardio (Hiit) will probably burn around 150 calories... so for the other 15 minutes its like i had nothing in my body no? I figure after the bodys done with the 130 cals its most likely takin energy from your fat since you had the protein shake in the beginin backin you up. Which also kick starts your metabolism i think... I could be wrong tho... Test your body and see how it reacts, only way to know for sure... And of course know everyones body is different. :)
Good luck!

Top Bottom