Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My 5x5 starting monday. Touch it up please

well im with big as well except i do incline BB for my 5x5..it is a better chest developer..nothing wrong with doing flat for 5x5..or switching every so often..its up to you..youve got a good core of exercises stop thinking too much and just lift lol..keep it simple stupid(KISS)!!!thats what i tell myself whenever i here some fancy new way to increase a lift by a trillion pounds in a month lol..

HAHAH!!!
I getcha.
No I just wasn't sure why one over the other. I'll hit the 5x5 with the incline.

I wanted to be totally clear. Since i'm trying to workout not just hard, but smart aswell! (as that was my problem before!)

I've been told to take it easy on the 5x5 portion of my routine for a bit. As in the 5x5 shouldn't be overly hard right now... althought i keep adding weight, it's more of a running start.
Roughly how many workouts or weeks should i wait or hold back until i'm relly pushing hard on my 5x5 sets?

----I did the legs yesterday at the gym. And althought they're missing a few machines that i expected I still managed. OHH baby was that a workout. My calfs are on fire today! I"M LOVING IT!

Thanks Boys!
HUGE!

its hard to say..5x5 is not a race to get to your max weights and then your stuck..you want to build up to it and hopefully you will plow through it..i started with about 60% of my 1 rep max..just keep upping the weight each week by 5 pounds a little more if your on the special sauce..lol

some really good ideas here, and your original plan isnt bad, but a few thoughts that I have
- dont use dumbell movements for the 5x5 part, they go up by 5lbs each, which is 10lbs total, and you will plateau very quick that way(I press 140s for incline chest, and still wont use them for 5x5). with a bar you can add 2.5lb plates

- it wont really matter on chest if you start with flat or incline, just make sure you do enough for both. I always start with flat, but the next 2 exercises are incline, and you can see from my avatar that it balanced my pecs out pretty good

- 5x5 legs really needs to be squats, thats where the size is going to come, follow that up with leg press and hacks in the 8-10 rep range, and you will build hella big quads

- like want2bbeast said, its not a race to the big weights, start light. The growth comes from adding weight every week, and the longer you take getting to the big weights, the longer you can keep adding. For example, my last heavy leg workout was months ago, I squatted 465lbs for 5 reps, then I started to diet so I lost some strength. That was a few months ago. In a week I start going at it heavy again, but for the last 2 weeks I only squatted 365 for 10 reps. Next week will be 385, then 405, then 425, etc. 1/3 of the way into this bulking cycle I will be back at the heaviest I have squatted, but by then it will be a joke

So far so good guys.
I've just started doing this, barely 2 weeks into it, and although right now the 5x5 is light, the other 2 exercises are working nicely.

Sometimes I feel that I'm not really doing enough (2 sets? wtf is that?)

But then the next day I'm really quite sore, and then I remember that soon enough the 5x5 will be heavy, and it'll be quite the workout.

Thanks to those who contributed, everything helps!!

I did have one question though. I goto the Gym only on Mondays, as they are my leg day. However I'm finding that I can't get an efficent back workout done on Thursdays, because I don't have a lat pulldown machine, or chinup bar.

Would it be possible to just stay at the gym a bit longer on my leg day and do a back workout.
Or maybe on leg day, do just some chins and pulldowns and such.
Then come my normal thursday back day, I could hit my dl's and bent-over DB rows?

Whatda think

thnx for keeping us updated..just keep plugging away and you will soon find yourself hitting pr's on your 5x5 exercises!!

you can use dbell rows instead of lat pulls or you can fit them in while youre in the gym

Top Bottom