Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My 5x5 starting monday. Touch it up please

RGS83

So I've decided to get off, what many would call, a high intensity, high volume program. Many on the baord have been very helpful in explaining that less may be more when working out smart. THANK YOU!

I want to start tomorrow (monday 23), and I'm liking the shape of this routine:
mon: quads/hams/calfs
tues: chest/bi's/abs
wed off
thurs:back/abs
Fri: delts/tris
**remember i try to most of this at home, but I may be going to the gym on some days if i must (Monday...leg day)

MONDAY
Quads:
Squats, or Leg press - 5x5
Hack Squat - 2x 6-8
***need 1 more exercise 2x 6-8

Hamstrings:
Leg Curl (seated, lying ect) 5x5
Hamstring raise 2x 6-8
***need 1 more exercise 2x 6-8 {maybe straight leg DL's; but i fear hurting my back}

Calfs
Donkey Calf raise 5x5
Seated Calf extensions 2x 6-8
Calf press of Calf raise 2x 6-8

TUES
Chest:
DB Bench Press 5x5
Incline DB press 2x6-8
Flies 2x6-8 {maybe more like 10 reps}
*would do dips, but I'm at home. Maybe switch first 2 exercises as many will put Incline before flat bench for some reason.

Biceps
DB Curl 5x5
Hammer Curl 2x 6-8
Concentration or Preacher Curls? 2x 6-8
*I injured my right fore arm tryingto curl too much a while ago, and if i load heavy, preacher tends to hurt... I'm working with it now though so maybe the preach as concentration curls are hard to do heavy.

Abs
*Do I just do a bunch of ab exercises, or do i do 5x5 like system for abs?

WEDNESDAY - OFF

THURSDAY
Back

Upper back
DB Bentover Row 5x5
BB Shrug 2 x6-8
DB Shrug 2 x6-8?
**what else can I do at home??

Lowerback
Deadlifts 5x5
**what else can I do at home??

Abs
*again, just a good ab routine, or 5x5 system

FRIDAY
Delts and Tris
DB Shoulder Press 5x5

** What other exercises are good for building my laterial delts, that can be done at home? Side raise?, Upright row?

Tris
Skull Crushers (with tri bar) 5x5
CG bench press 2 x6-8
Extensions 2 x6-8

What do ya think?
Please lemme know what I can add for the *** parts!!!

NOTHING???
I know many have done 5x5's and such...

I want to start tomrrow, but I want to be sure that I'm not overloading, or undertraining.

I'm 5'11ish, 155-160lbs, almost 21yrs old.
Been training for well over a year, but with varying routines and programs have only seen nominal results.

What do you think of this routine?
I think it'll work well with school and work.
Plus allowing me to actually work in an Ab routine, and some cardio.

The only thing I really changed was on monday I was do work my abs, and on Tuesday to work my calfs.
I swapped because this way i can do legs in the actual gym, and the rest at home.

Thanks guys

after your 5x5 exercise the assistance sgould in the 8-10 rep range..for side delts d-bell side lateral or 1 arm cable side laterals are very good..your probably going to overwokr your legs doing 5x5 for hams since they will get hit from squats..a couple of sets should be more than enough same thing with calves (3-5 sets total) for those 2 muscle groups

A couple suggestions

1- On chest day I would do incline db presses for my 5x5, and flat presses for my 2x8

2- On your back day I would do either deads or bb rows for your 5x5, not both. Do the other one for one of your 2x8's. I would also add some db rows for your 2x8's.

Wnt2bbeast covered the leg routine pretty well.

Sounds good but...

-what do you mean by "after your 5x5 exercise the assistance sgould in the 8-10 rep range"??

I'll try those Delt exercises, but on my legs... how would you re arrange it?
I'm not sure how each muscle will interact with each other.... maybe 1 major exercises at 5x5 for each muscle group? OR maybe just 5x5 leg presses, then 1 exercise of 2 sets of 6-8, for hams and calfs??? Not really sure. How would you re work it?

Big for life - why do you do incline for the major compund and flat for other? I've seen many ppl do it.. I always thought incline was more of a isolated and flat to be a compund... but i don't know alot of this stuff! haha

So you think doing something like 5x5 deadlifts, 2x 6-8 DB bent over rows would be enough for my back?? or what else could i toss in there if not?

Other Than that, does it look like a solid routine?

Thanks guys. I apperciate it.
I'm getting pumped to start!

big made some good points with reagrds to your back day..doing deads 5x5 and BB rows 5x5 will be way too much..

lets say you do squats 5x5..when you do hacks you should be using the 8-10 rep range not 6 reps....for legs i would use
squats 5x5
hack squat 2x8-10
add one more exercise front squats, leg press, leg ext for 2x8-10
hams:
leg curls 3x8-10
seated leg curls 2x 8-10
calves3 x10

Right on!

Like I said i normally do all my stuff at home, but i'm heading to the gym for my leg days i think.

On that, I've never squatted at the gym. Can the leg press be the major 5x5 compund exercise?

Do they have a machine to assist with the squats?
(other than my option of doing them free, or on a 'smith' - i think is what it's called... pretty much free, but it helps you stablize)

RGS83 said:
Right on!

Like I said i normally do all my stuff at home, but i'm heading to the gym for my leg days i think.

On that, I've never squatted at the gym. Can the leg press be the major 5x5 compund exercise?

Do they have a machine to assist with the squats?
(other than my option of doing them free, or on a 'smith' - i think is what it's called... pretty much free, but it helps you stablize)
It can be but it wont be as effective..nothing wrong with starting at the beginning with squats..do them in a power rack this way you can set the pins in case you need to dump the weight..start squatting and your whole body will thank you!!

- So why would one choose the incline DB press as the 5x5 and flat press for the 6-8??
...I always thought the flat would be the compurnd? But Like I said, you'll know better.

- During the Ab portion of the 5x5 routine... am I just doing a bunch of ab exercises or is there a 5x5 system for those aswell?

Thanks guys.

Top Bottom