Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Male / Female Diet differences

BoneCruncher

Hey guys, Im helping a seriously depressed female friend of mine who has been trying (starvation / binge eating style) to lose weight for about four years... Having 'cut' a few times myself in the way most bodybuilders do I thought it would be easy to prescribe her a similar method of dropping the pounds... when I went to go write things down I realised oats / protein shakes / tuna meals etc.. arent so 'normal' to the average female, am I going the right way with this? How can I get her started, Im sorry that this question might have been answered a million times however I cant use the search function (not platinum). Im thinking 3 healthy meals a day, reduced carbs in the afternoon / evening and 2 protein shakes a day in skim milk... any suggestions / advice / links?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it... as will she. :)

The "starvation/binge" style is the fast road to fatness. Your suggestions of "3 healthy meals a day, reduced carbs in the afternoon / evening and 2 protein shakes a day in skim milk" are good ones.

Eating several small meals/shakes every 2-3 hours will teach her body that since the next meal is never too far away, it doesn't need to store every incoming calorie as fat. Since she'll have more energy, she'll feel better and be able to put more effort into training. This will give her even better results.

She should think of her metabolism like a fire. It needs small frequent stokings of fuel to stay burning. Go too long without fuel, and the fire burns out. Plop too much fuel on a small fire, and it can't burn everything.

I think this is an excellent link for eating (excellent all-around site too):

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

Look under "Eating", then "Dieting 101" - especially the "part 4: ok, so what the hell am i supposed to eat?" section.

Even though I have heaps of my own work to get done I have taken the time to write her out a diet, (She had better follow and stick to it!!) Im just wondering what you guys think, keep in mind I am going to get her doing weights as well as cardio which will be a 3 day weights split as well as 3 45 minute walks weekly.

She Currently weighs 71kg which equals 156.2lbs

I have taken her weight and multiplied it by 11 to get her calories, so

11 x 156.2 = 1718.2

Diet

Meal One - 1.5 Cups Skim milk. Cals = 153.22
2 Scoops protein powder. Cals = 80
1 Orange Cals = 80
Total Cals = 313

Meal Two - 2 slices brown bread = 160 cals
1 small tin tuna = 90 cals
2 thin slices red. fat cheese = 50 cals
Total Cals = 300 cals

Meal Three - 1/4 Cup Brown Rice = 172 cals
1/2 Chicken Breast = 129 cals
Total Cals = 301

Meal Four - 1/2 Cup Scambled Eggs = 229 cals
1 thick slice brown bread = 80 cals
Total Cals = 309

Meal Five - Meat + Vegies (Limit Carbs)
Estimated Cals = 300
(meal 5 will be what her mum makes for dinner, but only if I ok it, ie no startchy carbs or she will have to make her own)

Meal Six - 1.5 Cups Skim milk. Cals = 153.22
2 Scoops protein powder. Cals = 80
Total Cals = 233

Total Cals = 1756

So its a little over the 1718, what do you think? to many carbs? to much food? not enough food? :confused:

Her goal is to drop 10kg (22lbs) so I will have to adjust the cals when some of the weight comes off.

At the very least, I'd remove the starches from meal 4 - and probably meal 3 as well. I'm going through a brief cutting phase right now, and limit my starches to my am post workout meal only. This has been working very well for me - I've dropped about 2% bodyfat in 2 weeks using ratios of 50% pro, 25% carb, 25% fat and kcals at 11xbodyweight.

For her last meal, she could also eat a cup of cottage cheese - 180 kcals and 28 grams of protein. I'd start the day with a complex carb like oats - for example, 1/2 cup oats and 6 egg whites. Then, I'd use a pro drink for my 2nd meal (or eat turkey and red peppers - I limit my liquid protein drink to pre-workout only these days).

This diet is also missing EFAs; instead of skim milk for the protein drinks, you might want to substitute in some flax oil, and use a little olive oil on her salad for dressing (olive oil and balsamic vinegar is my favorite). If she can't stand flax oil, at least have her consume fish oil capsules to get those omega 3s.

I will find out if she is prepared to eat cottage cheese, personally for whatever reason (I eat alot of almost anything) I find cottage cheese absolutely vile!

Idealy yes I would put the protein shake in as a second meal as opposed to the first, she is in her final year of school though and Im not so sure that she will take protein shakes to school and if she does whether the milk will stay good. She currently doesnt eat any breakfast so I figure a shake wont be such a bad way to start the day.

I will try to lower the carbs, getting rid of the bread from meal 4.. and replacing the brown rice at lunch with salad + EFAS. In which case the only startchy carbs will be meal 2.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Top Bottom