Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ladies ... I confess to temptation

2Shy

I lift at the local Y, walked in today and noticed a yellow notepad page taped up to their filing cabinets:

POWER LIFTING

That got my attention since I have never seen anyone at this Y do any moves that remotely resemble power lifting. I nosed around on top of the filing cabinet and found entry forms for an informal meet next Saturday. Well, I figure it must be informal. There was no affiliation given with any PL association.

Cool! Thought I. Oh, rats. No squats. Why no squats? Oh, it's dead and bench meet only.

Could I? Dare I? If this is just an in-house gym basement meet sort of event ... maybe ... maybe ... just maybe I could enter. Oh, I don't do heavy weights at all, but it could be fun. I could learn something (maybe). I could get my feet wet ... I could ... I could ... I'M GONNA DO IT!

I thought about the meet through my entire workout. Was I nuts? I mean, I haven't even achieved what I call "Big Girl" weight (135 at least) on these lifts. Shoot, I haven't even done deads since I started back about six weeks ago. I mean, I'd embarrass myself. But then, how many women would even enter this thing (since it isn't a sanctioned meet)? Ah, hell. It's a learning experience.

Back and forth. I finally decided, okay. I will do this. *G* I can always let my Elite friends talk me out of it later on tonight.

So I picked up the form, all ready to start filling it out when ....

The Y Guy tells me "Oh, that's not here. It's at (town 4 hours away) and they stopped taking entries Nov. 3rd. I don't know why these weren't out earlier."

I just can't do it. I committed myself to do something on the 14th a month ago. I never go back on my word. If it was here, well, I could cut my night short and do it. But I can't be out late, get up, get my act together and drive down to (town that is 4 hours away) and be at top form--heck, not even medium form.

If I'd seen these at my gym earlier (I honestly do NOT think they were out--I know the yellow notice wasn't taped up) I might have been able to re-arrange my Friday plans and do this AND get my entry in on time.

I'm kind of bummed. I was all set to embarrass myself. BUT ... I am going to start nagging my Y to follow the other Y's example--with all three moves!

Anyway, make me feel better by telling me I was crazy for thinking of this at all. Wasn't I?

~2Shy

You absolutely were not crazy. I honestly think that's the best way to get into the sport - you go to your first competition, get a feel for it, then you know what to work on.

If you want to try again, PM me your location and I can get info on USAPL meets in your area. I'm sure Spatts can get you info on some of the other orgs, but I only have USAPL contacts.

I think it is totally awesome for you to get your guts up to do that. I hope I can have the guts if anything ever comes around here. I'm very proud of you for wanting to do it!

Thanks, JJ! I know I can ask Spatts (we're in the same area). I confess that part of the appeal of this meet was because it's YMCA sponsored. I didn't think I'd feel as intimidated. :) There's a reason why I'm "2Shy."

When all's said and done, I think it's best that time constraints keep me from entering. I've thought about it, and less than one week really isn't time enough to prepare properly. Had I seen the announcement earlier I'd have had at least 3 weeks to get myself in gear (and to change my Friday plans).

Even though I'd enter the meet knowing my moves aren't anything to write home about and to gain experience and have fun, I think I should give myself enough respect to be prepared.

I am contacting the other Y to see if they plan on doing another one any time soon.

Superwife, you already have the guts! To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I could bring myself to enter a sanctioned meet at this point of my abilities. A lot of the appeal of this one was that it wasn't a formal meet. That gave me a bit more confidence.

You have a lot of great people around you. If you decide to compete, I know you'll have tons of support and the confidence to do so.

The only way you can make something happen is to make it happen! Ask at your Y if there are others who are interested in PL, if there are any other locations / groups who are "into" PL and start pulling together the interest to start a competition or else you will find someone who is planning an upcoming. At the very least, you will probably be pleasantly suprised to find some fellow PL enthusiasts to start with. I did that at a local gym near my parents' house a couple months ago & ended up lifting w/ one guy who claims having trained at Westside & another guy who is a friend of my brothers. I learned a LOT from these guys & was made aware of the small group of people who do PL up there & also some places where I can find similar resources & people where I live now.

ok girls....here's a bit of info...

there will be another APF meet in Tulsa in early February. Shy, if you're near spatts....you're within a few hours of Tulsa. Super....you know you have a place to crash, if you feel gutsy enough to compete.

it's a target to train for. i'm planning to bench there to prequalify for nationals. you two need to join me!!!!

that's right...i'm calling you two out!

:devil:

Top Bottom