Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

i want to build big quads, how does this routine look

110%

how does this routine look:
* 4 min on stationary bike
squats: 5 X 5 working sets, 4 warmup sets before these with light weight, reps 10, 8, 5, 3, working my weight up to my heavy sets

front squats: 3 X 8-10, what would u guys reccoment pyramiding my weight up, one question though how much less weight do u guys do on frotn squats than regular squats, like 90?

leg extensions: 2 X 10, 1 X drop set (do weight where i can get 10, go down 20, do 10 more, etc.)

hows that look, i want to get leg press in there somehwere too, do u gusy think i should alternate each week between squats/ front squats duo, and leg press/hack squats duo

give me some suggestoins

Sounds good to me, once you've already done your heavy squats, you don't really need to do any warmups for front squats, go to your working weight so you can save energy (the only 2nd exercise that I'll warm up on is hacks due to the pressure on the knee).
Other than that it's really similar to mine and it's worked great for me.

yeah, i was basing it around your reccomendations on an earlier thread, though with front squats with hope of squat intense=mass. haha, though how do u think i should incorporate the leg press in, also when u said no warming up on the 2nd exercise, do u mean dont pyramid the weight up on front squats?

Like a bunch of wasted time. You have 12 sets of squats alone. Try 2-3 sets of squats. 2 Sets of SLDL. 2 Sets Calves. Go home after 15-20 min, rest, watch legs grow.

Id go for

Squats - 2 warm up, 3 working sets
Lepress - 3 working sets
Leg Ext. - 3 working sets
Leg Curls - 1 warm up - 3 working sets
SLDL - 3 working sets

u said no warming up on the 2nd exercise, do u mean dont pyramid the weight up on front squats?

I guess that depends on how heavy you were going to go on them. I've done sets of 10 on 185-225 without a warmup and it felt pretty good, but that's an individual thing, so see what works for you. I would personally try sticking with just the squats and just one other working exercise, so if you're doing front squats, don't leg press, save that for a different week. I'm also really partial to a drop set on the last one, so on you last set, hit failure, pull off some weight and do it again. Just my .002 but I've always found leg extensions to be counter productive on true mass building programs.

You have 12 sets of squats alone.

You're kind of missing the point, the warm up sets are not taxing on the muscles at all so aren't counted as working sets. In the end it's only 7-9 total working sets counting all exercises

Needsize - 5 working on squats, 3 working on fronts, 3 on leg extensions. Thats 11 Working sets, and he wants to add leg press. Total waste of time. If he likes just working out for the hell of it, fine. I'm there for a reason.

MarshallPenniford said:
Needsize - 5 working on squats, 3 working on fronts, 3 on leg extensions. Thats 11 Working sets, and he wants to add leg press. Total waste of time. If he likes just working out for the hell of it, fine. I'm there for a reason.

The program that I advocate is the 5x5 on the squat, then 2-3 sets on the 2nd exercise, and that's it; for a grand total of 7-8 working sets, much less than most people do. The most size that I've put on my legs is from the 5x5 alone, but once that got stale I found adding just the 2nd exercise helped to continue my growth.

110, make sure your squats are as deep as you can get them, I like ass to the floor myself, or else the # of sets you're doing might not cause enough stimulation to effect growth. Your depth is far more important than the weight you're using!!

needsize said:

110, make sure your squats are as deep as you can get them, I like ass to the floor myself, or else the # of sets you're doing might not cause enough stimulation to effect growth. Your depth is far more important than the weight you're using!!

Well, depth on the squat does seem to hit more hamstring and glute, but other than that, what does ROM have to do with growth?

but other than that, what does ROM have to do with growth?

I am struggling to believe that is even a serious question. For any exercise to be effective it needs to be done full range. Any exercise not done in full range will not stimulate enough muscle fibres to cause any substantial growth.
And while deep squats do stimulate more hamstrings and glutes that one just done to parallel, they also stimulate the quad muscles more than a squat done just to parallel.

Top Bottom