Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I hate deadlifts, but the training board did provide something useful....

psychedout

.....3/4 deadlifts.

I did these today, because deadlifts haven't been bodybuilding friendly to me in the past and IMO (yes i'm prepared to be heavily flamed, I have 5 Ak-47's with me) reg deads are neceasry for BBing (and possibly even counterproductive if overdone).

I gave 3/4 deadlifts a whirl (well from the lowest power rack setting).

I still did them last in my routine so my upper back was pre-exhausted and it would have to work harder.

I felt they did a nice job on the entire back including the trap area. I also did a few sets of 20 rep 3/4 deadlifts. They were pretty intense, and I liked them.

Bottom line is this : I have discredited deadlits, and for good reasons (symetry issues, waste expanding, high injury risk, etc). However, for those of you who are like me and threw them out -- give 3/4 deadlifts a try -- its like a totally different lift. They are MUCH more bodybuilding friendly and still give you a large portion of the benefits of deadlifts without the problems mentioned above.

My 2 cents for the day.

You mean you stop at the knee level and don't touch the ground ?

Or John Grimek, Marvin Eider & almost any old school BBer so don't go there with the 'waist expansion' thing as those guys had classical builds. You'll get a bigger waist measurement from 3/4 deads because they'll work your obliques and lower back...

i personally like deadlifts (but my shins dont lol)

i just feel so great doing them even tho i probably do them wrong...

and i fugre in wrestling im gunna be doing alot of deadlifting muscle use when im on top of a guy trying to lift him up and drop him to make him all hurty and sad and want to turn over :heart:

Waist expansion? Pfft. And what symmetry issues? If you mean due to the mixed grip, switch it up. Otherwise, makes no sense. And high risk of injury? Yeah, well any worthwhile exercise will have a high risk of injury.

Tom Treutlein said:
Waist expansion? Pfft. And what symmetry issues? If you mean due to the mixed grip, switch it up. Otherwise, makes no sense. And high risk of injury? Yeah, well any worthwhile exercise will have a high risk of injury.

Yeah, waist expansions. Abs are like any other muscle and will grow. Symetry issues? Try the destruction of my V-taper. It brings the low/middle back out way way too much.

The risk of injuries seems greatest at the very bottom of the lift (if back were to round over, it's most likely to happen here). Without this part of the lift the risk of injury significantly decreases.

SublimeZM said:
i personally like deadlifts (but my shins dont lol)

i just feel so great doing them even tho i probably do them wrong...

and i fugre in wrestling im gunna be doing alot of deadlifting muscle use when im on top of a guy trying to lift him up and drop him to make him all hurty and sad and want to turn over :heart:

If strength is your goal, no question, your gonna need conventional deadlifts.

However, im on a bbing page at the moment.

I agree 3/4 deadlifts are great. I was doing them alot. Its definately not hard to get injured on them though, as the weights get heavier. I believe they contributed to my back injury a good deal. They allow you to use much more weight then a deadlift from the floor. As for waist expansion, I got plenty of waist expansion from 3/4 deads! I do those the most, and my waist grew a great deal. So Im not too sure youll avoid that.Plenty of top bodybuilders have also deadlifted, so Im not so sure itll kill your symmetry either.

Top Bottom