Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Favorite Deadlift Routines

The Dude

Throw some of your favorite deadlift routines for mass and strength (bodybuilding) at me. I've tried several schemes, but I always come back to 3 or 4 straight sets. I shoot for 8 reps on the first set to see if I increase the weight or not (I've always liked having a specific rep goal for my exercises to determine weight increases). Just interested in what you guys do. It might give me an idea or two for something different.

20 Rep Routine

I like a 20 rep routine for mass building...

I load up the bar with my what I usually get for 10 reps and bang out 20.... the last 10 are alot slower ( I pause and take a few deep breaths between each rep after 10 until I reach 20)...

Each time a do my deadlift routine I increase the poundage... I purchased fractional weights to make this a little easier... 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 pound plates ....

If I am still have any energy after recovering from the 20 rep set I do some stiff leg deads (2 sets of 8-10)...

Last edited:
I have found that 3-5 very heavy sets of 5 reps has packed tons of mass from my lower back right up to my traps. I find that anything over 5 and it's too difficult to maintain form.

needsize said:
I have found that 3-5 very heavy sets of 5 reps has packed tons of mass from my lower back right up to my traps. I find that anything over 5 and it's too difficult to maintain form.

Ahh, yes. I've seen your's posted before and I'm leaning most heavily toward doing 3 of 5 and doing a drop on the last set. My body responds really well to a moderately heavy drop set on the last set of an exercise.

Others anyone?.....

Low reps for Mass?

I don't agree... low reps are not enough stimulation to build sufficient mass. Low reps will lead to more nervous system adaptation than pure hyperthrophy.

If you can't maintain good form above 3-5 reps then lower the weight!

I do 240lb deads for 20 reps with heavy breathing... The pump is awesome and builds muscle all over....

I think both have their place, but I have to disagree with that notion. Lower reps have done a number on my back....a good one. My erectors pop out like few others at my gym and my overall back is by far my best body part. Blanket statements about training serve no one because everyone is different.

ok.ok...

I wasn't making a blanket statement but rather sharing my humble opinion... I've done both low reps and 20 rep routine with the later giving better results for me... you started this thread looking for ideas... why shoot mine down?:mad:

Re: ok.ok...

bmjaa said:
I wasn't making a blanket statement but rather sharing my humble opinion... I've done both low reps and 20 rep routine with the later giving better results for me... you started this thread looking for ideas... why shoot mine down?:mad:

I think you need to review your response to needsize to see why I responded to you the way I did. You immediately shot that man down and to be upset now is hypocritical. No malice intended, just calling 'em like I see 'em.

Re: Low reps for Mass?

bmjaa said:
I don't agree... low reps are not enough stimulation to build sufficient mass. Low reps will lead to more nervous system adaptation than pure hyperthrophy.

If you can't maintain good form above 3-5 reps then lower the weight!

I do 240lb deads for 20 reps with heavy breathing... The pump is awesome and builds muscle all over....

I disagree that low reps are not enough stimulation to build sufficient mass, especially when combined with other exercises that are higher rep. I go over 500lbs for sets of 5, and trust me, that is more than sufficient to build mass, my back has gotten extremely thick in all the right places from doing this.
I've tried higher rep deads, even after doing my heavy 5's, and responded much better to the lower reps.

Top Bottom