Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone know some good training routines for fighting?

bgbay

I only make it to the gym 3 days a week and am thinking about starting Lee's Squats workout with a bit of a tweak. Anyone have any suggestions for a good training routine to improve the strength/speed of my kicks and punches?

I am in Karate but I do not have access to a boxing ring or anything to beat on a heavy bag or speed bag. any at home things i can do? or certain workouts at the gym to increase speed and power?

get a heavybag at home or find some diy objects to train on. im sure there are plenty of tutorials out there. besides that, pyramid drills and sprawling drills are good.

mens health generally does not have good workouts. GSP's 'workout' is okay for the masses and getting fit, which is what it was designed for. you need something for YOU to take you beyond fit. look up charles poliquin and read his articles for a start.

use these movements - olympic lifts , powerlifts , overhead press, pullups, dips, reverse curls, upright rows, prowler/sled, explosive leg curls, glute ham raise, hyperextension, back extension, reverse hyper - and all of them with their many variations. do rotator cuff work twice a week. work on your neck 2-3 times a week, you need a strong big neck.

first work on conditioning, then strength, then speed. power = strength x speed. conditioning will help you get through your strench/speed workouts.

get 32 oz gloves to punch with. punch / kick / knee with bands should help also. remember that power training is not cardio. when working on power, only do powerfull movements with perfect form. when you can't do that anymore stop. when doing cardio you work through being tired.

for your cardio do interval training / circuits. Sprinting is good, GSP does a lot of sprinting. Plyometrics for cardio or for power. For steady state cardio I usually just shadow box for an hour or so, or you can go for an occasional run. Klitscko swims. anything is good, but old school style roadwork isn't very good for long term health and doesn't help all that much. slow shadow boxing for an hour or so while working on form and various scenarios is good for more than just cardio, but it can get boring. for me, all long slow type of cardio bores me...but you shouldn't be doing too much of it anyway. once you're fit, you only do it once a week tops.

for fighting you need more than this though. isometrics can help with mental 'toughness'...i train with some guys who used to be part of elite military units...and they talk about doing pushups while being kicked, running then getting beat up then running more. stuff like that. you need to be tough if you wanna be a fighter. try sprinting then go directly into sparring then sprinting again, to mimic chasing and fighting someone, or being chased and then fighting.

The one thing about a lot of American karate, and i'm assuming you practice karate in America, is that a lot of the guys aren't tough. Thats what I've seen anyway at competitions and shows. If you wanna get good at fighting you need to fight. bouncing is a good way to 'legally' fight. Granted, this can be somewhat tricky...but its the only true way to get 'good' at fighting (after you get the techniques etc..). If you're good at fighting, the fight shouldn't last very long - even if its against a couple guys. Some of the best fighters I know have NO conditioning, yet they always win fights cause it never lasts long. You should have conditioning though, what if there is a chase involved? Thats when parkour and conditioning comes in handy. Anyway, find a way to get tough also, hopefully without getting hurt badly ;P

hope this helps

Last edited:
Thats dude, appreciate the detailed answer. I've recently moved into a new apt with a garage so I've hung a punching bag out there, changed up my weight lifting routine and starting to intervals on the tread mil 2 min sprint, 2 minute fast walk. Still adding things as I got tho, thanks again!

glad i could help, i'm in between work and bored so i don't mind typing too much. the intervals will help a lot, the people I trained with noticed the difference after a month when I started. you're lucky you can hang a bag, i finally got a small wavemaster to go in my apt...its not the best but its better than nothing. we can't all work out at state of the art facilities so we just have to be creative and make the most of what we have. I've been trying to find different ways to do dips at my house, and I just tried to do bench dips with my arms on the stability ball. its actually kinda hard! anyway, good luck!

Top Bottom