Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why are some guys big/weak and some small/strong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i seem to be able to pack on size a lot easier than i can increase my strength....I am amazed by smaller guys who can put up mad weight....I would like to be a lot stronger, but right now my goals are to balance out my physique to get the proportions I want.

just like gymtime said: genetics. (training methods plays a smaller role i believe)

i don't necessarily like to be as big as the boys, but i like to be as strong, if not stronger, than them.

by genetics im assuming people are referring to fiber ratio or biomechanical disadvantage?

id be interested to hear what others are thinking. if one of those isnt on your mind...then its a cop out to blame genetics.

yeah i'd say it's a combination of fiber ratios as well as having the frame to handle heavy weights.

everyone listen to gymtime because the man is right. i don't think it's a cop out to say this is genetics. some people are hella strong at bench, some can deadlift for days, others can military press small houses, some are big as houses but weak, and some are boneracks with impressive strength. i'm one of those guys who has decent size but shit for strength. the only thing i can do respectably as far as strength goes is deadlift. my arms are over 16" (10%BF) and i can only incline db curl the 35s for 10, 11 if i'm lucky. my bench, military press, and rowing are pretty sad.

I meant the latter. Obviously some short, barrel-chested guy will be able to push more weight than his tall, long-limbed counterpart.

Overall for my size I'm pretty strong. Some areas I'm very strong (triceps, shoulders, legs) whereas others I'd be considered average (biceps).

I've always trained hard and heavy, but my goal was never to be a powerlifter. I could not care less about powerlifting, but my weights are just naturally high. It's funny because I'm surely not the biggest guy in my gym, but I can outlift most the guys.

bignate73 said:
id be interested to hear what others are thinking. if one of those isnt on your mind...then its a cop out to blame genetics.

I think "cop out" is a little unfair here. I know next to nothing about fiber ratios or biomechanics. However I do know that everyone's body responds to diet and excercise differently, no matter how they train, what they eat, or for how long.

To suggest that a normal person can make the gains of a natural athlete (assuming similar diet, workout, etc.) simply by "trying harder" is simply not reality, imo.

I do agree however that you do make a huge mistake by using genetics as an excuse to not do as much as you possibly can to achieve your goals.

And one more thing....supersizeme is almost always wrong about everything, except of course when he's agreeing with me. :)

As you were.

thats not what im saying at all.

the majority of people would just say "genetics" as a blanket statement, without regard to what those individual differences are.

However I do know that everyone's body responds to diet and excercise differently, no matter how they train, what they eat, or for how long.

yes, but there are some factors as to why this is true. though you may not understand the factors fully you do understand the concept that is created by them. i believe alot of people will just chalk it up to how the DNA is written and be happy with mediocrity. rather than looking at the "why" of their lack of strength/size, they settle for less.

i think for anyone not gaining the way they would like, "you dont know what you dont know" or....its plain as the nose on your face and you choose to ignore it. we're all guilty of either one or the other at times.

genetic do play a major role. In my own case, I can move a lot of weight for sets, ie, I've squatted 550lbs for 5 reps, ass to the floor, deadlifted 550lbs for 5 reps, benched 335 for 6, etc, but my single maxes suck. With how much I can deadlift for reps, it would seem like I would have a crazy max, but I've put up 600 once, and 625 once, thats not much more than what I rep with, but my frame just isnt built for big singles

needsize said:
genetic do play a major role. In my own case, I can move a lot of weight for sets, ie, I've squatted 550lbs for 5 reps, ass to the floor, deadlifted 550lbs for 5 reps, benched 335 for 6, etc, but my single maxes suck. With how much I can deadlift for reps, it would seem like I would have a crazy max, but I've put up 600 once, and 625 once, thats not much more than what I rep with, but my frame just isnt built for big singles

Actually, its probably more that your CNS is not properly trained for singles. A maximum effort single is much different that repping a similar weight. Your nervous system sees an overload condition and shuts you down prematurely. You probably have the muscle mass, and the right muscle fiber to do the job. But, your CNS doesn't know that unless you train it.

That is also a reason why some big guys are weak and smaller guys are strong. The smaller guy has trained his CNS to a new overload condition. His brain doesn't think he is risking injury with a maximal attempt. the larger guy with the larger muscles has never re-trained his brain to match his muscle mass.

My CNS has pretty much lost its "shutdown" signal from years of powerlifting. I have torn muscles and kept right on going without my brain ever getting in the picture. My CNS thinks I have more capacity than I actually have.

But I'm a crazy powerlifter, I actually like it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom